Is it possible to run 64-bit plugins in 32-bit host?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to run 64-bit plugins in a 32-bit host (Sonar 8.5.3)? I heard JBridge can enable you to do this. Is it true? Can JBridge do this efficiently and flawlessly without any problems?

Thanks in advance! :)

Are you setting us up here? :)

I am going to guess you are running an older OS/hardware. Not good for 64 bit.

If your hardware can handle it I suggest you download the free version of Cakewalk or CbB.
It's free. It's 64 bit, and it will let you use the 32 bit plugins in your current daw.

I have Sonar 8.5.3 and think there is a 64-bit version as well - if you run 64-bit os.
Sonar went 64-bit at version 5.x or 6.x already.

Nothing bridges flawlessly, just drop that idea. Some plugin might, but all sources to problems I had on 64-bit system was due to bridging 32-bit stuff.

So other way would be even worse, I imagine.

Yes, at least in Reaper, IIRC.

I used JBridge for T-RackS 5 modules, bridged 64bit to 32bit, I can't recall any issues.
This was in Studio One 3.5
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

I've been using JBridge for 64 to 32 since Cypher 2 came out, being x64 only. It works, but does steal Live's computer keyboard = midi keyboard functionality when the Cypher window is focused. A bit annoying for tweaking, though I suppose it's forced me to break out my 'proper' keyboard on the bright side.

Buuuut, I changed something the other night trying to get the computer keyboard functionality back and it seems to have broken everything - Live hangs when I load Cypher. The Cypher GUI appears the moment I force-quit Live, which feels almost sarcastic. Looks like I'm rebridging that one!

So yeah, it works but resist the temptation to fiddle. I haven't had any trouble with crashing or anything other than that.

I have an old DAW, been away for a long time and now getting back to recording. I upgraded my OS to Windows 7 64-bit but my old projects are all using 32-bit plugins. I didn't want to take a chance with possible problems loading those projects so that's why I installed Sonar 8.5.3 as 32-bit.

But now, for new projects, I would like to explore 64-bit plugins, hence my question. Glad to know that some of you have been able to make 64 to 32 work well. I'll just have to try it then. I just wanted to know that it could work (YMMV) before I buy JBridge.

Thank you so much for all your replies, folks! Very helpful and much appreciated. :tu:

He is asking about 64 bit plugins in a 32 bit host, not the opposite

I can't answer you question, unfortunately
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Sorry, i was wrong, forget all i wrote ;-)
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

mtl777 wrote:I have an old DAW, been away for a long time and now getting back to recording. I upgraded my OS to Windows 7 64-bit but my old projects are all using 32-bit plugins. I didn't want to take a chance with possible problems loading those projects so that's why I installed Sonar 8.5.3 as 32-bit.

But now, for new projects, I would like to explore 64-bit plugins, hence my question. Glad to know that some of you have been able to make 64 to 32 work well. I'll just have to try it then. I just wanted to know that it could work (YMMV) before I buy JBridge.

Thank you so much for all your replies, folks! Very helpful and much appreciated. :tu:
Reaper is the only DAW i know which can run 64-bit plugins in the 32-bit version natively (usually, it's pretty pointless, because the other scenario is much more likely - using 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit host). JBridge does what you ask, though.

mtl777 wrote:I have an old DAW, been away for a long time and now getting back to recording. I upgraded my OS to Windows 7 64-bit but my old projects are all using 32-bit plugins. I didn't want to take a chance with possible problems loading those projects so that's why I installed Sonar 8.5.3 as 32-bit.

It's only really in the last year or so that I've noticed some companies no longer offer a 32 bit version. Fathom was the first I spotted, but they added an official 32 bit build as per popular request. Since then, Plogue's PortaFM and FXpansion's Cypher 2 are the only ones that come to mind. Cypher 2 was the first time I really wanted something 64 bit only, so I looked into bridging. Fortunately it works and is relatively fuss free.

I stuck with 32 bit when I set this machine up 5 or so years ago because I felt sure I'd be using all my old 32 bit plugs, and everything still had a 32 bit version back then so I wouldn't be missing out on anything. It just made more sense to me from a compatibility perspective: go 32-bit and be able to use everything (old and new) or go 64 and have to deal with a ton of bridging. As it turns out, it's really only Xoxos stuff that I still use in the 32 bit only world, so I'd barely have had to deal with bridging at all. I'd have gone 64 if I had to make the choice again. It's only the horrors of having to deauthorise/reinstall/reauthorise etc all my stuff that's stopping me making the switch.

If you're planning to stick around for while now you're back into making music, I'd recommend using a 64 bit install/plugs for all your new projects and keeping the 32 bit around only for completing your old ones. 64-bit only plugins (not to mention 64 bit only DAWs like Live 10) are only going to become more common from here on out, so you might as well start back up with a firm 64-bit base to build your studio around. I wish I had.

Yes, JBridge will do this, but only if you're running a 64-bit version of Windows.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

EvilDragon wrote:Yes, at least in Reaper, IIRC.
Yep, it's OK here.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

64-bit AMD computer here.
Windows 7.
REAPER 0.999.

The demo version of JBridge works with the above specs.
REAPER 0.999 was made in 2006 and can't load any 64-bit plugins without the assist of JBridge.
But with the assist of JBridge, REAPER 0.999 loaded the VST effect Distortion by Mathieu Carre. No problem.
Distortion is the sole "64-bit only" entry in the Developer Challenge 2018.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

You can run 64bit plugins in 32bit Jeskola Buzz via my vst loaders, they include a bridge to run plugins in a separate process.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”