Propellerhead announces "Reason Compact" (now at version 2.0)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnochLight wrote:My wants:

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic. ... 11#p408711
Great thread idea! Here's mine:

As we get multiple tracks when more devices are added, we need a proper mixer (perhaps an SSL-type "Compact")?

MIDI in - this is absolutely crucial. I want to be able to use compact MIDI controllers if I'm away for a weekend.

More than 8 bars, and the ability to loop a set number of bars for perfecting a clip's data.

The ability to keep the metronome on while playing back a performance while not in record mode.

And while we're on the addition of instruments, I'm really hoping for:

Instrument: Kong Compact. Give us access to at least 8 pads (though 16 would be optimal), with 1 "page/screen" dedicated to a 16 pads so you can thumb/finger perform a live recording. At least 8 pads should be able to sample on the fly using your iPhone's built-in mic. Basic sample editing features, including envelope (see iMaschine for reference). Access to analog modelling modules as well as a select few of standard Kong presets. Nurse Rex - maybe using Korg's Stockholm version of Dr. Octo as a guide. Kong's built-in effects are required, but an additional compressor should be optional for the entire device. When opened in Reason (full), it would just open as a Kong with maybe a Pulverizer afterwards. Include Drum Sequencer with an iOS-friendly screen for tapping in patterns. Make it an IAP for the full version, or maybe offer it for free for a set time in order to coax people into downloading Reason Compact.

Instrument: A second (or 3rd) Europa Compact. All the work has already been done, and it will allow people to add bass + lead + drums, etc.

Instrument: Grain Compact. Using the work done on Europa Compact as a base, offer a similar approach to Grain. Include a curated selection of presets, but allow sampling on the fly via the iPhone's built-in mic. Offer the same Players as optional modules. This would be a much more valuable device as a mobile sampler than (say for instance) NN19 or NNXT, as Grain lends itself to experimentation and sampling on-the-fly. Offer some sample editing, perhaps using Umpf's approach or just go all in and offer Reason's entire built-in sample editor, since it's so rudimentary to begin with, this shouldn't be hard at all. :puf_bigsmile:

Feature: Audio Recording. Offer at least 1 audio track (but preferably 3). We should be able to record vocal ideas on top of our mobile creations. They could use Take's approach, but honestly I'd like to see a more Reason-like offering. Future updates could add a Neptune in the chain, and as the hardware gets faster, offer Reason's Audio Pitch Editor - that would set it apart from anything out there. To be able to plug your guitar in and record would be hugely useful as well, but we'll need to see effect modules appear to make that truly useful, IMHO (amp sims, anyone)?

Feature: Rack Extensions. This could truly take things to the next level. Some curated VST are already available as mobile versions in other mobile apps, so Reason Compact needs an ecosystem as well. They'd be IAP's obviously, and offer an additional revenue stream for devs, though I'd expect if you already own the RE, you should get the Compact version automatically for free. Buying an RE Compact would also get you the desktop version.

That's all I've got for now. Hanna has her work cut out for her! ;)
You've asked for a lot, but I seriously doubt that most will be implemented.

This Reason Compact is not the Reason Mobile we are/were expecting. Compact is an iPhone app. You've already touched on the fact that you can use this "on a cellphone". That is exactly the target market. The fact that it can work on an iPad is just because of the universal app creation.

Reason Mobile for iPad is still coming. With most of the feature requests that you wanted for Compact.

Compact doesn't need an "SSL-type" mixer. It just needs to be like a Figure Deluxe. With the capabilities to export out a file that can open up in Reason. (Or Reason Lite, as the case may be. :wink: )

It doesn't "crucially" need MIDI-in. It is an iPhone app. (although, it may get those capabilities anyways -maybe as an IAP. Or just to add some more value to the app. Some may choose to use this on an iPad as well - so MIDI in/out would be welcome.

Having to split screen all Rack Extensions to work with Compact is very unlikely. Although it would be interesting if some devs will work on cut-down featured split screen REs. Anything is possible.

It definitely needs, at the bare minimum, to have three instrument tracks Drums, Lead and Bass. and an audio track. Expect Propellerhead to offer you choices on those instruments that you would like to purchase IAP, for your on the go production ideas. As well as expansion packs.

I do not own an iPhone, but have had a play with Compact on an iPad. I don't like the constant left/right scrolling. Nor the iPhone based vertical sequencer. So the buck stops here with me on this app.

I am expecting something with Reason for iPad more like the integration with Garageband iOS and Logic.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Korg Gadget, myself.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:I'm thinking more along the lines of Korg Gadget, myself.
Doesn't hold a candle to iOS GB / Logic integration. Not even close..

I can't imagine Propellerhead even getting it right either. Well, compared to the resources of Apple anyways. There is a shit ton of ridiculously good stuff in GB for iOS.
I can still hope that Reason for iPad will be good. Without being too overpriced.

Looks like Compact may be getting an update within the week. Audio midi. IDAM.
Last edited by festeringheap on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

. . ..

festeringheap wrote:
EnochLight wrote:I'm thinking more along the lines of Korg Gadget, myself.
Doesn't hold a candle to iOS GB / Logic integration. Not even close..
What doesn’t - Korg Gadget? The OSX/iOS integration is pretty tight. But sure, seeing as how GB (iOS) has been out almost decade, Korg has some catching up to do.
festeringheap wrote: I can't imagine Propellerhead even getting it right either. Well, compared to the resources of Apple anyways. There is a shit ton of ridiculously good stuff in GB for iOS.
I can still hope that Reason for iPad will be good. Without being too overpriced.

Looks like Compact may be getting an update within the week. Audio midi. IDAM.
I can imagine it getting a hell of a lot better than it is now, and getting a hell of a lot better quite easily. ;)

Within the week? Nah - I’m sure it’ll take longer for that. :party: What’s IDAM? Audio MIDI? It doesn't even record audio yet... :(

Slightly related, I just saw this decent live performance from a band using Reason Compact in their performance - check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma7UHUnwl1E
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
Within the week? Nah - I’m sure it’ll take longer for that. :party:
1.1.0 Sept 24
Connect external MIDI keyboards
MIDI in from other iOS apps

Well, your crucial update has arrived... :party:

festeringheap wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
1.1.0 Sept 24

External keyboard control is pretty crucial to serious music composition, I'm sure you'd agree. Still waiting for you to explain what "Audio midi. IDAM" is. :lol: :party:

EnochLight wrote:
festeringheap wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
1.1.0 Sept 24

External keyboard control is pretty crucial to serious music composition, I'm sure you'd agree.
External keyboard control is helpful for some for sure. Though I know people that mouse and edit their serious compositions. :shrug: (not my cup of tea -- though I have done it in a pinch on a laptop away from home a few times)
EnochLight wrote:Still waiting for you to explain what "Audio midi. IDAM" is. :lol: :party:
This update will now allow you to send midi clips from your DAW (or a connected controller plugged in to your computer) or other iOS apps into Compact and have the digital audio sent back to your DAW via the lightning to USB cable. IDAM Inter-Device Audio & Midi

festeringheap wrote: This update will now allow you to send midi clips from your DAW (or a connected controller plugged in to your computer) or other iOS apps into Compact and have the digital audio sent back to your DAW via the lightning to USB cable. IDAM Inter-Device Audio & Midi
Thanks. But you thought that was coming in this week’s update? That seems a little premature, all things considered, IMHO. Would be sweet, though. :phones:

Woo Hoo!
Another Reason Compact Update!
Drums. Audio Tracks?
Nah. Just the ability to purchase two new sound packs... :party: :clap: :party:
EnochLight wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:17 am
festeringheap wrote: This update will now allow you to send midi clips from your DAW (or a connected controller plugged in to your computer) or other iOS apps into Compact and have the digital audio sent back to your DAW via the lightning to USB cable. IDAM Inter-Device Audio & Midi
Thanks. But you thought that was coming in this week’s update? That seems a little premature, all things considered, IMHO. Would be sweet, though. :phones:
Effortlessly linking your iDevice and your mac sending midi and digital audio is amazing. Don't be petty. Buy a mac and see for yourself... :hihi:

festeringheap wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:40 pm Woo Hoo!
Another Reason Compact Update!
Drums. Audio Tracks?
Nah. Just the ability to purchase two new sound packs... :party: :clap: :party:
EnochLight wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:17 am
Effortlessly linking your iDevice and your mac sending midi and digital audio is amazing. Don't be petty. Buy a mac and see for yourself... :hihi:
Yeah, I suspect we’ll see a lot of minor point updates adding new soundbank IAP’s, etc, before seeing new instruments and tracks. Sucks, but makes sense.

As for Mac - lmao - naaaaaa. I did the OSX dance years ago and got bored. Windows works just fine for me. My wife likes OSX, though.

Well, a bit less than 9 months later and we're at 2.0 now. Added a bass synth and drum rompler, and of course they all open in the full desktop version with their Rack Extension counterparts and MIDI data. Still no Android support though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPGeG6iDIKE

Cool, but why doesn’t it look and feel like Reason.
As it is, it’s a variation/copy of Figure I’m afraid.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:29 am Cool, but why doesn’t it look and feel like Reason.
As it is, it’s a variation/copy of Figure I’m afraid.
It’s designed for a 100% touch interface (on a small handheld screen). I wouldn’t expect it to look and feel like a desktop app made for an entirely different UX.

Run side by side with Novation Groovebox.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”