Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Must agree on the "flaky ones" in case of waveform but even in waveform there are not many plugs that gets loaded in general and then you just change a preset (for the further tries I even stopped playback while changing the preset), nothing was happening, just open surge, click on a preset, puff...there goes waveform. And as its my main daw now I really dont want to test evry daw I own to see if it might run in any of it.

Sorry for the harsh comment :oops: , I should not judge something I have not even have the ability to try out a little more, was just in happy expectations after reading about it and then (after long loading times each time to load my project) it just goes puff....

Have compiled it for Windows 32 bit. It's just the VST2 and VST3 binaries, so first install the official 64 bit installer to get all the resource files etc:

https://github.com/kurasu/surge/releases (64 bit installer)
http://fstrixner.de/files/Surge/Surge32.7z (Windows 32 bit VSTs, unzip and copy to your VST32 directory)

tatanka wrote:Must agree on the "flaky ones" in case of waveform but even in waveform there are not many plugs that gets loaded in general and then you just change a preset (for the further tries I even stopped playback while changing the preset), nothing was happening, just open surge, click on a preset, puff...there goes waveform. And as its my main daw now I really dont want to test evry daw I own to see if it might run in any of it.

Sorry for the harsh comment :oops: , I should not judge something I have not even have the ability to try out a little more, was just in happy expectations after reading about it and then (after long loading times each time to load my project) it just goes puff....
Some hosts ( like waveform/tracktion ) instantly crash when there is a vst related gui error .
Some hosts don't ( renoise :)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

NothanUmber wrote:Have compiled it for Windows 32 bit. It's just the VST2 and VST3 binaries, so first install the official 64 bit installer to get all the resource files etc:

https://github.com/kurasu/surge/releases (64 bit installer)
http://fstrixner.de/files/Surge/Surge32.7z (Windows 32 bit VSTs, unzip and copy to your VST32 directory)
currently running v1.5, should this x32 v1.6 work under x32 XP SP3? just
tried it with savihost and it doesnt load. :cry:

also, how can i get the v1.6 sesource files if im on X32 os and the installer is x64?
Last edited by layzer on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Holy shit. This was one of my fav synths. Probably the best freeware instrument out there now haha
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"

Tried it with Bitwig (which can load both the 32 and the 64 bit version) and with EigenD (which is 32 bit only on Windows). Worked for me in both.
Did you install the 64 bit version first? You'll need all the resource files which aren't in the 32 bit zip. As a test you could try to start the 64 bit version in a 64 bit host - if this also doesn't work then presumably something went wrong with the installation.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the XP 32 bit part. Please try the installer below.
Last edited by NothanUmber on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ok, have also built the 32 bit installer:
http://fstrixner.de/files/Surge/Surge-1 ... -Setup.exe

NothanUmber wrote:Tried it with Bitwig (which can load both the 32 and the 64 bit version) and with EigenD (which is 32 bit only on Windows). Worked for me in both.
Did you install the 64 bit version first? You'll need all the resource files which aren't in the 32 bit zip. As a test you could try to start the 64 bit version in a 64 bit host - if this also doesn't work then presumably something went wrong with the installation.
i'm running x32 winxp sp3 which does not execute x64 code.
so it does me no good trying to install a 64bit installer.

if someone cant get v1.6 working on x32 winxp sp3, i will just
stick with v1.5

NothanUmber wrote:Ok, have also built the 32 bit installer:
ahhhh great :) i will try it out in x32 winxp sp3 now and report the results. thanks sir~ :pray:

btw, why do i still use xp sp3 as my os? because imho it is still the best smallest, fastest os for a DAW. :idea:

P.S.: The installer throws the DLLs currently to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST2 and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3
and the data files to
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Surge
no matter what you set as target directory. (Currently it apparently only copies the uninstaller at the chosen location...)

Either register Common Files\VST2|3 with your DAW or copy the Surge.dll and Surge.vst3 to a folder where VSTs are looked for.
Best leave the data folder where it is.

Thanks for the 32bit, appreciated.

Some feedback on the installer:

- Default path has a semicolon after Surge, so the target folder (unless changed) would be named Surge;
- The only files that actually go to the selected path are the uninstall files
- Installer creates folders Programs\Common in local appdata (unnecessary)
- Installer installs .dll and .vst3 in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 and \VST3 respectively*
(*Correct for VST3 but VST2 DLL should go to the user-selected path.)

Just letting you know in case youd like to change any of that.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I see youre already aware of it. Didnt see your last reply until after i posted.

NothanUmber wrote:P.S.: The installer throws the DLLs currently to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST2 and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3
and the data files to
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Surge
no matter what you set as target directory. (Currently it apparently only copies the uninstaller at the chosen location...)

Either register Common Files\VST2|3 with your DAW or copy the Surge.dll and Surge.vst3 to a folder where VSTs are looked for.
Best leave the data folder where it is.
no go. i get some error about entry point not found in shell32 or something using the v1.6 dll.... ah well, i guess i'll stick to v1.5.
btw, i modified the v1.5 gui slightly, if anyone wants the bitmaps for it, pm me ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

layzer wrote:no go. i get some error about entry point not found in shell32 or something using the v1.6 dll.... ah well, i guess i'll stick to v1.5.
Thats an XP incompatibility then. It works fine (see note below) in Win7. Its also perfectly safe to move the .dll and/or the .vst3 to your desired location, the only thing thats important is to leave the resources in local appdata because the plugin absolutely expects them there. (Otherwise it will throw an error message and then start with only 'Classic' available in the oscillators, and of course no presets.)

Note: So far it starts fine and seems to work fine, (more testing required to be sure), but what i can already say is that in 99% of the cases it crashes the host upon removal or upon exiting the host with it still running. Not a good sign, but only tested with VSTHost so far. Will do some more checking tomorrow.

ENV1 wrote:
layzer wrote:no go. i get some error about entry point not found in shell32 or something using the v1.6 dll.... ah well, i guess i'll stick to v1.5.
Thats an XP incompatibility then. It works fine (see note below) in Win7. Its also perfectly safe to move the .dll and/or the .vst3 to your desired location, the only thing thats important is to leave the resources in local appdata because the plugin absolutely expects them there. (Otherwise it will throw an error message and then start with only 'Classic' available in the oscillators, and of course no presets.)

Note: So far it starts fine and seems to work fine, (more testing required to be sure), but what i can already say is that in 99% of the cases it crashes the host upon removal or upon exiting the host with it still running. Not a good sign, but only tested with VSTHost so far. Will do some more checking tomorrow.
yeah, no XP for v1.6 i guess, but you know, v1.5 works perfect. no crashes ever on closing or anything. so, no biggie sticking to v1.5 for me :D

ENV1 wrote:
Thanks for the 32bit, appreciated.

Some feedback on the installer:

- Default path has a semicolon after Surge, so the target folder (unless changed) would be named Surge;
- The only files that actually go to the selected path are the uninstall files
- Installer creates folders Programs\Common in local appdata (unnecessary)
- Installer installs .dll and .vst3 in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 and \VST3 respectively*
(*Correct for VST3 but VST2 DLL should go to the user-selected path.)

Just letting you know in case youd like to change any of that.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I see youre already aware of it. Didnt see your last reply until after i posted.
Ok, have fixed the ";" thing (thanks for the hint!) and that the VST2 and 3 binaries were copied to Common instead to the chosen directory. The data has to stay at localappdata for the moment, that's where the plugin looks for it. The link to the installer is the same as above.
layzer wrote: yeah, no XP for v1.6 i guess, but you know, v1.5 works perfect. no crashes ever on closing or anything. so, no biggie sticking to v1.5 for me :D
Wouldn't rule out that it's because of the winsdk I used to compile this (10.0.17134.0). Not sure though whether the winsdk necessary would still be compatible with VS2017 (and whether I could even install it on Win10 64 bit). Not sure whether the plugin would be compatible with that old winsdk then though...
Edit: Yes, this is plausible: Supported Windows versions for the WinSDK I used:
Win32 Development
Windows 10 version 1507 or higher
Windows Server 2016: Standard and Datacenter
Windows 8.1
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows 7 SP1

So no XP. Would have to see whether the old WinSDK works on my machine.

Edit2: The Windows 7 SDK seems to be the last one that supports Win XP SP3 (for SP2 and older you would have to go ever further down the history lane).

The SDK can be obtained here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=8279
Doesn't even install without errors on Win10 64 bit though. Sorry...
Last edited by NothanUmber on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”