Youlean Loudness Meter 2 - V2.5.2 - April 25, 2022 update

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Youlean Loudness Meter

To address features for free and pro version:

The big problem is that free version is so good that your could expect other companies to charge for it more than 100$ for it. This makes the pro version look like it has not that much value in it, and that is OK, use the free one if you don't need the rest.

However, for the pro version there are a lot of new features planned both small and major ones, so I can assure you you will be very happy that you bought the pro version on time.

For example here is the list for very next improvements:
  • Setting text size
    White/dark theme for plugin and export
    PNG export
    Custom presets or saving default state
    Netflix preset

Youlean wrote:To address features for free and pro version:

The big problem is that free version is so good that your could expect other companies to charge for it more than 100$ for it. This makes the pro version look like it has not that much value in it, and that is OK, use the free one if you don't need the rest.

However, for the pro version there are a lot of new features planned both small and major ones, so I can assure you you will be very happy that you bought the pro version on time.

For example here is the list for very next improvements:
  • Setting text size
    PNG export
    Netflix preset
Usually paid plugins have features that free plugins have plus some others to make the workflow FASTER, and this Pro version has those. Though if you can put some more, many more people will buy it.

heavymetalmixer wrote:Though if you can put some more, many more people will buy it.
Yes, there will be a lot of more features for the pro version!

Youlean wrote: For example here is the list for very next improvements:
  • Setting text size
    PNG export
    Netflix preset
    ISP density warnings (PLEXUSS: I added this one)
Ya ok, no ISP stuff. But many of the top mastering engineers concern themselves with ISP analysis in order to make the best sounding digital audio. It's important but hasn't penetrated into the main-stream yet. We'll get there. We got loudness metering finally into the main-stream, as we can see! Thanks Youlean for basically the best loudness meter on the market (and I have many of them). Keep your eyes out for ISP stuff - when it's bad it imparts a kind of audible "haze" to the audio which robs a lot of fidelity. :phones:

plexuss wrote:
  • Setting text size
    PNG export
    Netflix preset
Ya ok, no ISP stuff. But many of the top mastering engineers concern themselves with ISP analysis in order to make the best sounding digital audio. It's important but hasn't penetrated into the main-stream yet. We'll get there. We got loudness metering finally into the main-stream, as we can see! Thanks Youlean for basically the best loudness meter on the market (and I have many of them). Keep your eyes out for ISP stuff - when it's bad it imparts a kind of audible "haze" to the audio which robs a lot of fidelity. :phones:
Actually, these above are confirmed features, and I am looking at ISP density as a feature to add, just can't confirm it yet... :wink:

Youlean wrote:
plexuss wrote:
  • Setting text size
    PNG export
    Netflix preset
Actually, these above are confirmed features, and I am looking at ISP density as a feature to add, just can't confirm it yet... :wink:
Awesome. I'd love a credit for the idea if possible :phones:

plexuss wrote:
Youlean wrote:
plexuss wrote:
  • Setting text size
    PNG export
    Netflix preset
Awesome. I'd love a credit for the idea if possible :phones:
Sure, why not... :)

I had decided not to purchase the full version, as I'm perfectly happy with the free version (that I use every day in every project), but the developer is such an open-minded guy that I trust him to make the product evolve in every possible direction and surprise us more and more. Just bought a Pro licence ! :hyper:

Seriously Youlean, you ROCK ! The plugin is awesome, and your devotion to make it become better and better everyday is mindblowing ! :tu:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote:I had decided not to purchase the full version, as I'm perfectly happy with the free version (that I use every day in every project), but the developer is such an open-minded guy that I trust him to make the product evolve in every possible direction and surprise us more and more. Just bought a Pro licence ! :hyper:

Seriously Youlean, you ROCK ! The plugin is awesome, and your devotion to make it become better and better everyday is mindblowing ! :tu:
Thanks for the nice words DJErmac and thank for the purchase!

We will make it insane all together! 8) 8) 8)

BTW, this plugin will continue to evolve.

Take a look how this plugin looked before the KVR DC release and look at it now...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULACPiLGxZA

i feel the discussion around the price or people unwilling to pay 27$ is unfair.
ihmo, the free product is like a shareware, and an awesome one, so i wanted to pay for the pro version instantly.
it's a no brainer !

Youlean wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:04 pm
mutantdog wrote:The dynamic range graph...
No, you are having 9.3 PLR Short Term.

This type of view is just eye pleasing just like Compyfox said.
Then why not create an alternative PLR graph to stop the confusion and make it regular X/Y one. X axis (horizontal) being time elapsed, Y axis (vertical) the Dynamic Range. Granted, not the "Idea" of Ian Shepherd, but so much easier to understand if(!) you really want to use a PLR graph.

plexuss wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:42 pmYa ok, no ISP stuff. But many of the top mastering engineers concern themselves with ISP analysis in order to make the best sounding digital audio. It's important but hasn't penetrated into the main-stream yet. We'll get there. We got loudness metering finally into the main-stream, as we can see! Thanks Youlean for basically the best loudness meter on the market (and I have many of them). Keep your eyes out for ISP stuff - when it's bad it imparts a kind of audible "haze" to the audio which robs a lot of fidelity. :phones:
Can you please(!!!) get more in-depth as to whom is "concerning themselves" with ISP analysis?

I have an idea why you insist on such a feature, but honestly... if we talk the currently aimed at standards for Broadcast (-23LUFS/-24LUFS) and the currently targeted overall value of -16LUFS for pretty much everything else (with offsets still, but we're getting there), unless we go super heavy on transient creation during mixing, we will never exceed 0dBTP, or better yet... the standardized ceiling of -1dBTP max (-2dBTP for certain broadcast stations, but still).

We're talking about a PLR of (theoretical) 15 to 12 (if the SLk value is at +3LU/-15LUFS SLk and the max dBTP is -1dBTP). Clipping off the transients is barely unnoticeable. It is a non-issue with -23LUFS ILk on top of that. Though granted, limiters need to be capable of handling that overload and not go any higher (see this page).

But still... why a "density readout". Why is that so important?

As somebody that uses ITU-R BS.1770-x mechanics for years at this point, I'd really like to know.

Youlean wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:15 pm To address features for free and pro version:

We talked about this via Facebook - an interested party still needs to be able to test the Pro settings prior to a purchase (and some "Pro" settings could have been "regular free") -- that was my main criticism on the pricing politics and lack of a properly laid out refund policy (also directed at carrieres). But you're getting there (incl. homepage updates).

Youlean wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:15 pm For example here is the list for very next improvements:
  • Setting text size
    PNG export
    Netflix preset
Can you go a bit more in-depth on the custom presets for saving "default" state? What will this offer? Can will we be able to save multiple presets?

Did you also read what I wrote a couple of posts back regarding an INI file drop for adjusting "hardwired" presets (like Netflix, Spotify, Tinder, Youtube, Broadcast, etc) for easier updating rather than updating the whole plugin with each shift? (which might also offer manual changes for users themselves)

Regarding the PLR Color Codes (what you call Dynamic), I think 3 colors are more than fine. As long as we can save that setting "separate", or there is a button on the UI that says "will be recalled on preset change / preset change will ignore PLR graph settings", I'm more than okay with that.

I'd still love to re-color the histogram according to my needs though. Also in the colors Dark Green, light green, yellow and red. No color fades. But that's just my personal opinion.

White Theme for Export is something I definitely look forward to, also PNG export.

Maybe "inserting numeric values" for the Histogram Time Window would be nice, or numeric insertion on the config panel in general. Just to speed up things instead of dragging values.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

@Youlean,

Very good job! The price for the pro version is worth it.

Best luck to you. You did a very fine job on the plugin!

Best,
Jhudstudio

I like the PLR graph. Granted the mirroring of it is not that necessary but why not do it, it looks better. I like the use of the colours along with the amplitude in the graph because it gives both a good "at a glance" view of project PLR and also allows me to see it with some more detail. I don't have a better suggestion so for me it's fine as-is.

@Compyfox
In the conversion of digial audio to analogue, and in data compression codecs, there is the risk of over-shoots causing hard clipping in the final analogue signal. This clipping imparts audible distorion which negatively impacts audio quality. This phenomenon can be mitigated during the production of the digital audio by manipulating the audio to prevent conversion clipping. There are two ways to do this: with metering, or guessing. Metering employs standardized inter-sample-peak-prediciton algorithms, adjusting the audio to reduce these warnings. Guessing involves setting the ceiling to a level that you think will mitigtate conversion clipping, the efficacy of which will be unknown.

A single clip is not going to be "that audible". However the more clips that occur in a shorter duration, the more the risk of audible distortion. We not only need an ISP warning but also to know how many warnings occur over time, which is the idea of "ISP density" in order to make an informed decision about whether and how to mitigate.

rock on :phones:

and this isn't handled by a proper ISP peak limiter because...?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Return to “Effects”