Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

gentleclockdivider wrote:I don't get it why the 32 bit version isn't available .
It was on his website for years .... just a pointer to that download is all it takes .
C'mon claes
+1

Edit: Nevermind, I see it on page 4. :oops:
Last edited by Russell Grand on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

forestrip wrote:open at least 32bit version for mac please
Mac and Windows 32bit versions.

aMUSEd wrote:
tatanka wrote:Really wonder how this ever could be sold for 100 bucks, kills waveform 9.2.1 instantly while only changing a preset. Evry time.
Because it was brilliant when it was out and actively developed. Now it's just outdated so possibly could be unstable in some hosts, especially flaky ones like Waveform.
Exactly. Really wonder how anyone could be surprised when something so old won't work in modern setups. :roll:

Russell Grand wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
tatanka wrote:Really wonder how this ever could be sold for 100 bucks, kills waveform 9.2.1 instantly while only changing a preset. Evry time.
Because it was brilliant when it was out and actively developed. Now it's just outdated so possibly could be unstable in some hosts, especially flaky ones like Waveform.
Exactly. Really wonder how anyone could be surprised when something so old won't work in modern setups. :roll:
So far the latest version 1.6.0b3 seems to run stable in Live 10 Suite and Cubase 9.5 Pro on Windows 10 64-bit.
Those are the latest versions of two of the "major" hosts which now both are 64-bit only (no dedicated 32-bit version or built-in bridge while i could use jBridge for 32-bit plugins if necessary).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Where can I find the option to switch to my own wavetables or to other wavetables folders?
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Poor Claes. The community is supposed to do all that's been asked in many of the posts of this thread. :D

PietW. wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:16 pm Where can I find the option to switch to my own wavetables or to other wavetables folders?
Wavetable folders with *.wt files in Windows 10 are found at C:\users\*yourname*\AppData\Local\Surge\wavetables

Currently with Surge v1.6.0b3 It does not seem to be possible to directly select the folders in the plugin and there does not seem to be a drop-down menu for the wavetables. Instead of that you flip through all wavetables found in those folders with the left + right buttons next to the wavetable name in the GUI (after selecting "wavetable" as the Osc type).

In the folder mentioned above there is a text file that explains the *.wt wavetable file format that is used for the wavetables.

A manual for Surge is available here:
http://vemberaudio.se/download/surge.pdf
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: In the folder mentioned above there is a text file that explains the *.wt wavetable file format that is used for the wavetables.
Just for everyones info; this file contains an error. Under 0-3 it says that the header string of Surge wavetables is 'wavt', which certainly sounds plausible since it seems to stand for wave+table. But thats not actually correct. The correct string is 'vawt', which probably stands for 'Vember Audio WaveTable'. Wavetables with 'wavt' as the header string will >not< load, so if you intend to use that file (wt fileformat.txt) for reference you should change the 'wavt' to 'vawt' ASAP so you dont have an incorrect header string mentioned in there.

aMUSEd wrote: Is it possible to build a Mac version from the sources?
Good news for you: Some guys are already working on it.

Conversation here: https://github.com/kurasu/surge/issues/3

So far i never tried to use my own wavertables with Surge but the free Audio Term tool includes a dedicated wavetable export format for Surge.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote: So far i never tried to use my own wavertables with Surge but the free Audio Term tool includes a dedicated wavetable export format for Surge.
Thats how i found out about the wavt/vawt thing.

I examined a table exported by K-Term (or Audio Term as its called now) in a hex editor, and the first thing i noticed was that the header string wasnt what i remembered reading in wt fileformat.txt. At first i thought that Audio Term may have written the wrong header into the table, but testing it revealed no problems. So i checked some of the tables included with Surge, and sure enough they all had vawt, not wavt. I then checked if a table with wavt would work, but it didnt. Ergo the wavt in wt fileformat.txt had to be a typo.

Great thanks - looks like the right-click context menu is working now also (and can assign modwheel)

[edit] not sure how it was working before, but appears you can assign MW directly (via learn) to each target, but the overall modwheel assignment (which is already assigned to multiple targets in some presets for example) doesn't appear to be working

synzh wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:25 pm Great thanks - looks like the right-click context menu is working now also (and can assign modwheel)

[edit] not sure how it was working before, but appears you can assign MW directly (via learn) to each target, but the overall modwheel assignment (which is already assigned to multiple targets in some presets for example) doesn't appear to be working
For assigning Modwheel to certain parameters Midi learn does not really seem to be necessary.

If you double-click the "Modwheel" mod source at the lower half of the GUI (the blue rectangle wiuth "Modwheel" written in it) you could assign it to most paramaters of the synth. Those parameters that could be assigned are highlighted in blue. Those blue colored faders represent the maximum modulation amount (which with the Modwheel modulation should be adjusted with the Modwheel set to maximum) while the grey faders with the original value will be shown below it.

Same way it works with the other mod sources like e.g. channel aftertouch, LFOs, additional envelopes, step sequencers etc.where additional enveleops and step sequencers are available as selections in the LFOs.

There does not seem to be a usual mod matrix in Surge which shows sources and targets in a kind of list but the way mentioend above is how modulations are assigned in Surge.

If a mod source is assigned the text (and the framne around the rectangle) in the bottom half of the GUI is shown in lighter blue while those that are not assigned are shown in darker blue.
Ingo Weidner

I see the modwheel box at the bottom is already assigned in many presets, often to multiple targets with different "depths"; but I can't get my physical modwheel to interact with the plugin for these presets; unless I explicitly assign it to each target using learn (default 100% depth)

layzer wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:08 pm
ENV1 wrote:
layzer wrote:no go. i get some error about entry point not found in shell32 or something using the v1.6 dll.... ah well, i guess i'll stick to v1.5.
Thats an XP incompatibility then. It works fine (see note below) in Win7. Its also perfectly safe to move the .dll and/or the .vst3 to your desired location, the only thing thats important is to leave the resources in local appdata because the plugin absolutely expects them there. (Otherwise it will throw an error message and then start with only 'Classic' available in the oscillators, and of course no presets.)

Note: So far it starts fine and seems to work fine, (more testing required to be sure), but what i can already say is that in 99% of the cases it crashes the host upon removal or upon exiting the host with it still running. Not a good sign, but only tested with VSTHost so far. Will do some more checking tomorrow.

yeah, no XP for v1.6 i guess, but you know, v1.5 works perfect. no crashes ever on closing or anything. so, no biggie sticking to v1.5 for me :D
Sorry if this has been asked before but my other studio pc is win xp sp3 32bt. How can I get the last 1.5 version that was stable on win xp (obviously an unlocked version with no serial code

Return to “Instruments”