My DAW PC hates me though I shower it with nothing but love..time to switch to a Mac?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Coxy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:29 pm
fmr wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:23 pm
dellboy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:47 pm *EDIT*

I have just noticed that the same i-MAC is on sale at PC World for £1,049 with a discount code that brings it down to £949. There is also a further possible discount of £200 for a trade in for a working laptop. So this brings it down to a possible £749 without Logic Pro x included.
Which means Apple is ripping off its customers, and could very well be selling the £1248.99
Yeah like Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus rip off their customers too. Cause the end of the day it's just a 2.0 petrol car with 4 seats and a steering wheel right...?
Really bad comparison. You don't have Audi, Mercedes, BMW or Lexus components in a VW Golf.

fmr wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:23 pm
dellboy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:47 pm *EDIT*

I have just noticed that the same i-MAC is on sale at PC World for £1,049 with a discount code that brings it down to £949. There is also a further possible discount of £200 for a trade in for a working laptop. So this brings it down to a possible £749 without Logic Pro x included.
Which means Apple is ripping off its customers, and could very well be selling the £1248.99 by almost half the price.
To be fair, its pretty standard practice for items to cost more when purchased direct from the manufacturer using their main website. Also bear in mind that the price of £1248.99 includes Logic Pro X which I was not able to include on the PC World website.

Coxy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:29 pm
Yeah like Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus rip off their customers too. Cause the end of the day it's just a 2.0 petrol car with 4 seats and a steering wheel right...?
Not a good comparison because the base level i-MAC uses bog standard off the shelf components. The graphics for instance come courtesy of Intel Iris integrated.

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 pmReally bad comparison. You don't have Audi, Mercedes, BMW or Lexus components in a VW Golf.
But you do have VW Golf components in Audi. Gotta love those car comparisons.

Zombie Queen wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:31 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 pmReally bad comparison. You don't have Audi, Mercedes, BMW or Lexus components in a VW Golf.
But you do have VW Golf components in Audi. Gotta love those car comparisons.
Do they share the same engine? I'M far from being a car expert (I don't even drive) but I don't think so.

And that's the main thing we are talking about here: comparing Macs and PCs that share the same engine (CPU).
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:41 pmDo they share the same engine?
Yes. If you get a diesel it's the same tdi in Audio, Volkswagen, Skoda and Seat. And that's the same company. Moreover, nowadays you find the same engines across different brands, you can find Volkswagen tdi in a Jeep, Mitsubishi or Dodge. I have an Opel with Fiat engine. Before that I had a Volvo with Renault engine, go figure.

Zombie Queen wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:50 pm
fmr wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:41 pmDo they share the same engine?
Yes. If you get a diesel it's the same tdi in Audio, Volkswagen, Skoda and Seat. And that's the same company. Moreover, nowadays you find the same engines across different brands, you can find Volkswagen tdi in a Jeep, Mitsubishi or Dodge. I have an Opel with Fiat engine. Before that I had a Volvo with Renault engine, go figure.
Then I guess a wise consumer would buy the cheaper one, since the "guts" (mechanics) are similar (but again, I know nothing about cars) :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:02 pmThen I guess a wise consumer would buy the cheaper one, since the "guts" (mechanics) are similar (but again, I know nothing about cars) :hihi:
Yeah, the main difference is in prestige/coolness factor and finish/comfort/peripherals... Same as PC vs MAC. :lol:

One can acquire a music computer with the best componants,
without subsidizing a massive marketing machine.
One can buy cheap cars that get recycled instead of
repaired at expense greater than the car's diminishing $value.
We don't have to buy things based on what our
co-workers, peer group, family, or neighborhood denizens
expect of us.

I doubt there even is "a mac" anymore, one can choose
what operating system to run on nearly any modern computer,
and in any given session.
Cheers

If would good if the OP can confirm if the suggested solutions have solved his BSOD's...with Cubase.

On page 8 of this thread I highlighted the ways in which you can keep the BSOD displayed, if that was an issue. If you can copy and post what that error code is, this will help confirm to us..what the problem is.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:56 pm Really bad comparison. You don't have Audi, Mercedes, BMW or Lexus components in a VW Golf.
Yes you do.

fmr wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:41 pm Do they share the same engine?
Often yes.

run the tron script.

run these

profit. I use these on any w10 install. every install.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

^ Don't run any scripts on your PC, you don't know about, that's how you create more problems, and seeing as the OP is using Windows 7 rather than Windows 10, that's even more inadvisable.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

An imac pro loaded up for serious recording will set you back $5000.
https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac ... -MQ2Y2LL/A

I picked up an HP Omen as a second computer to my desktop daw for stage work. i7 cpu, Large 7200 rpm OS drive, secondary 7200rpm HDD, 16gb ram, LARGE 17" screen, lighted keys, Gaming graphics card. Plenty of I/O including usb 3 and DVD/CD player burner. On board sound isn't bad for a laptop. My price was around $1200 because it was a year old model and it was a year end sale. For me I guess it's pure economics.

$1500.00 for a Macbook with an i5 chip isn't really a terrible price. Probably ok for most home studio work if the mixes don't get too demanding. I loaded NI complete and two daws on my Omen though. Just bought my wife a 12.6" iPad pro for her work refurbished for $1000. The pen was $100.00 for it. :eek: It's a really nice iPad, but wow. Apple definitely over prices their stuff.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”