One Synth Challenge #115: Seismic by Syntonica (L-Ectrobit Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Seismic

AH, thank you, both! :hug:
Well, not like I'm fully "back" in a sense, but just a tiny visit, really. But a very grateful and happy one at that! :)
Hmmm...haven't played around with TDR Nova, but I find 67P quite powerful. Though, this little track is a mix stepchild, really, because I didn't do anything beyond slapping 67P on in Master Example, along with OTT with depth dialed down to 30 and LoudMax64 to -3db in and -0.3db out. Not even any sidechaining this time nor even a drum mux, which I normally do. These are literally 9 instances with a tiny bit of gain automation and mid-side processor on some. This is likely the purest (possibly poorest, too) track I've done, yet. Maybe that gave it the extra joy, simply making a little bit music without too much worries about the rest.
As for Seismic, I never quite figured out the ADSR's decay and sustain portion...virtually stumbling around in this thing for a while, trying to get somewhat clean sounds out of it, but enjoying the idea of the "node in node" system. I'm sure, theoretically this could be great, but with 2 parameters per node, this has been really weird. If I were to spend another night with it, maybe I'll find out some more of the "hidden" things and tricks with it, but it doesn't quite scream: "explore me!", since it's sound is really coarse.

Anyway, I've had fun after all and thanks, again, for the warm welcome back! :hug:

@Frostline - You seem like an authority in terms of rulez knowledge. What is the deadline for the submissions. I see a lot of submissions coming in with a date 1st of october? Is this in time or out of time? Are we supposed to deduct a point for "late submissions" too, like for when I forgot to prefix my tracks titel with my kvr alias?

The real rule is: As soon as Brian wakes up and decides to check the entries, that is the deadline, Peter. Please, relax! All is well, this is but a wonderfully creative game, not your evil overlord's reign supreme, "you must submit or be cast down to the pits of hell!" :evil:

schiing wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:48 am Good to see some more entries rolling in on the last day. And I'm happy to see you're back, Taron! (however briefly :))
That's what I am talking about! :clap: :party: :D

] Peter:H [ wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:29 pm @Frostline - You seem like an authority in terms of rulez knowledge.
What is the deadline for the submissions.
You know where the rules are Peter, they have pointed out and linked to many times. Probably even a link to them in the first post of this thread. :roll:
In this particular case the rule might be considered a bit vague.
Some might assume it implies the month ends @ midnight in a specific time zone, others may look at it differently since the rule is not specific as to the definition of "end of month" but just specific to the time zone used.
] Peter:H [ wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:29 pm I see a lot of submissions coming in with a date 1st of october? Is this in time or out of time?
Strange, I don't see "a lot" but rather a couple. Are you logging out to see the official KVR time?
] Peter:H [ wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:29 pm Are we supposed to deduct a point for "late submissions" too, like for when I forgot to prefix my tracks titel with my kvr alias?
If you feel that a submission warrants having a point deducted for any reason you are free to do so. As you well know there are no requirements as to how one must vote.
Would I personally do it? No, and there are reasons for that.
One, as stated earlier the rule is a bit vague. To me the day starts @6AM, not midnight.
Secondly, from personal experience I know that no internet connection has 100% up time.
Thirdly there is the possibility that unknown communication between the participant and Brian or Richard has happened in regards to extending the submission deadline due to extenuating circumstances.
So due to those possibilities I personally do not use "submission deadline compliance" as one of the rules I might withhold bonus points for violating.

The rules I personally check for bonus points have no ambiguity. They are clear and I have not yet heard a valid reason not to comply with them. So I reward those who do comply in my voting system.

The rules you might or might not check are completely up to you.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Taron wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:52 pm The real rule is: As soon as Brian wakes up and decides to check the entries, that is the deadline, Peter. Please, relax! All is well, this is but a wonderfully creative game, not your evil overlord's reign supreme, "you must submit or be cast down to the pits of hell!" :evil:
I'm completely relaxed. If you'd know the context then it would be good...Frostline knows what I mean. And actually people say the deduct points when I forget to add my KVR Alias at SC as required by the rulez though the resulting text like "] Peter:H [ - ] Peter:H [" is kind of stupid. Huh, that's fun...but in the other hand they say I should be relaxed when I sak them to be con-se-quent and reliable. Am I stupid or is this higher order logic only klingons can get...

The good thing about rules is: They bring order to a messy crowd like we are.
The bad thing about rules is: It may be painful to enforce the rules being kept (for both parties - just like parents do often not like it to tell off their kids but they need to, neither do the kids like it - but it is a necessary part of life).
We hate rules being violated, and we hate being told off. Some can cope better with the first, some can cope better with the latter. But what if the "parents" never (ever) drop a word? Then no one is punished. What we are doing now is punishing as "kids" each other for disobeying the "parents" ... hope you get what I mean ;)

Of course the voting system can be used to keep an eye on the rules, too. Please forgive me, if I am hurting anyone here - this is not my intention. I am saying what I have been thinking for a while now. IMHO this is the job of the admins! Yes, it can hurt and there might be someone fighting who hates to be put off. But once that is clear, people will know it and no need for discussions like this.
I might be wrong, but I think I am not the only one thinking like this. Just as a class of pupils like a teacher who is able to bring order into the room, we need someone who puts the line *somewhere*. I believe that people will be happy to submit to a stricter system than there is now, or to a system that is more relaxed. But we need *something*! Something that is clear.
And yes, this might result in a bit more commitment to clarification of rules.

Just my two pence.

I'd imagine, you mean "Vulcans". But our geek-off is of a different kind, usually. :lol: ...but to answer that question: Yeah, you're stupid, Peter! :help: :lol: ...I'm KIDDING! Lighten up! (skipping forward in time to my next reply to your next reply: "Oh, you mean, you're already on fire?!" :lol:

Funny how DAY 1 is right away the kick off for a voting discussion again, even if likely all of us have been in the OSC for years. It's drastic for me, because I literally just made a quick song just to be with you guys again for a brief moment, sharing with you my little adventure with this adventurous synth. Because I'm so happy about it, all I feel is that you all should be so happy and simply celebrate what crazy cool thing we've got going here.
To "deduct points" for reasons of "form" is f#c%ing disciplining!!! You can do that, but that would make you nothing but an angry, miserable sheep, who knows no more than what the shepherd and his dog has taught you. And if that was meant to have any effect at all, you'd have to do that to somebody, who cares more about the points than about you. So, in other words, you'd "hurt" somebody, who doesn't care about you and likely will find this even more reason not to. Ultimately, it's ridiculous, but that's just my two cents along with some hope that we mature out of such weak mentalities.

Oh, however, if somebody was reminded to correct his form, such as putting his name/alias in front of his song or some info under it, but he notoriously keeps ignoring it, it means this artist shows utter disrespect and I can see how people would develop a dislike that influences the voting, as sad as that is.

May I just say that I am more with the people who care about the rules, and that I can say we're not dealing with a weakness. It is just an awareness, that others don't have that much - which is totally fine!! We're all different, aren't we.
What I see is that every time a rule is broken is a step towards a more liberal understanding of the rules. This has defenitely happened in the past. The current understanding of the rules IS more liberal than it used to be.
(See examples for this here, here and here)
Although this is not a reason to be concerned - it is just different than it used to be - I am asking myself: to which place does it lead us in the end?

Taron wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:29 pm
To "deduct points" for reasons of "form" is f#c%ing disciplining!!! You can do that, but that would make you nothing but an angry, miserable sheep, who knows no more than what the shepherd and his dog has taught you.
BAAAAA
Actually for clarity on my voting system there is no deduction of points but rather some entrants fail to earn a rather easy bonus. Is it so wrong to reward those who comply and not reward those who don't? It is all carrot and no stick. You either get the carrot or you don't.

Let me ask you, why have rules at all?

Surely there were reasons why the rules were put into place. Are those reasons no longer valid?

The rules we have are mostly simple and straightforward. Enable downloads, label your track correctly, list what and how many tools you used etc....such a terrible thing to ask competitors to comply with? Too much of a burden?

Or should mature participants be eager to follow the rules to make the process easier for the administrators who run this competition?
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

I think Bh9090/hennessey's track says an important message:
"Everyone Just Chill."
Y'all can get all tied up in rules or politics, that's fine with me. I'm just going to sit back, enjoy the music, and cheerfully admit that all of y'all's tracks are at least three times better than mine. (Great tracks, by the way!)
I'm not a competitive person, much less a skilled producer, so I'm just here to have fun and practice. I'll vote for what I think is good, and vote less on what I think is bad. The whole thing is subjective, and not worth arguing over in my opinion. Do what works for you, but I don't need to hear about the internal process.

Sorry if I'm adding fuel to the fire here.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

There are rules for THE MUSIC, like not using commercial plugins (unless otherwise specified), not using pitch modulation and all that jazz. THOSE are rules that are truly important and they shape the music we all listen to and "judge" or whatever you want to call it. These must never be broken, no exceptions, because there need not be any exception. However, when it comes to "form", it's a different story, as I mentioned above and it seems to me that we agree on that. Form is all about care and respect and it provides orientation. This is something highly valuable and shows- well- care and respect on top. Luckily we do have a very tolerant organizer and truly good shepherd in Brian (and apparently Richard...didn't quite realize he had help, that's great!). Of course, things such "enable downloads" can get forgotten sometimes, but it's ok just to send out a reminder. Happened to me in the past at least once... not sure how often, though, hahaha.
At the end, we're musicians. Of course, we need to be our own managers in this context, but it's likely not our #1 nature or even in the top 10 of them, hmmm... :scared: ... :help:
As for caring about the administration: :tu: ...that's exactly it. As long as one doesn't cause any trouble for them, it should all be golden. BJ & Richard (yes, I know now!) make this all possible and deserve our care and respect most. But I've got nothing but love (brotherly and unconditional) for all of us, even when it gets a little heated sometimes. Family stuff! :)

Hey, it seems a couple of long time contributors were a little late to the party this month - 574x and taron, however it was just a couple of hours and we had not yet officially closed for entries. I am sure they were both in good faith and its a friendly comp.
How about a quickie vote - should we allow these - Yay or Nay - for next ten posts...

I vote yay

Yay!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Yay

Return to “Instruments”