Eventide SP2016 Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dangayle wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:08 pm I kinda like the GUI, the full retro look to it. It's a lot better than their other 2016 plugin.
Like I said oddly amateurish for a big name like Eventide (so is their Room 2016 but it's much older). Look at the comparison to the free Oril River:
Reverbs.png
Notice also the SP2016 Mix is set to 100% yet the tick mark doesn't fall on top of the slider or even at the line in the middle. Makes it kind of hard to visually select exact values. The Bypass and Program buttons look like they fell right out of knobman.

It's not something that would keep me from buying it since the sound is good. I just find it surprising a player like Eventide doesn't have a stronger GUI game....... :shrug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

MadDogE134 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 pm i don't see why people don't just buy an iLok dongle and be done with it
(that should get them started lol)
I don't know why you don't buy me an iLok Dongle and be done with it..... :wink:

Anyway SP2016 doesn't require a hardware dongle, only the soft e-licenser which I already had installed. The authorization of the demo was the easiest part of the installation thanks to the e-licenser. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I would say that it looks retro. Probably meant to be that way. And, yeah, that OrilRiver GUI looks great. But, look at the default one. Ugly as fudge. :P

After digging through the Eventide website, it appears the difference is this:

2016 Stereo Room:
"The algorithms naturally simulate every aspect of the sound of a real enclosure - from the complex early reflections, to the natural way in which the echo density increases with time, to the smooth decay of the reverb tail."
SP2016:
The sound of the hardware is the result of a combination of the DSP processing and the analog audio circuitry. Painstakingly modeling every aspect of these hardware units was neither quick nor easy but now the must-have sonic beauty of these classic reverbs is available for your use in-the-box or live.
Those aren’t the only quotes, but it’s clear the 2016 Stereo Room page references only the algorithms, while the SP2016 page references virtual modeling of the hardware.

From my own testing, you can hear the difference when you push it to the extremes (like in the last feedbacked example I posted above)

HM wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 pmI just klicked on the banner on the front page:
Yeah, I know, that's what I did, I'm not totally daft (believe it or not). :lol:
Just takes me to the product page without any purchase link or buy button whatsoever.
No matter if I'm logged in or not.

Oh well, if they're gonna make it that hard for me, they can just keep it.
Confucamus.

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 pm I would say that it looks retro. Probably meant to be that way. And, yeah, that OrilRiver GUI looks great. But, look at the default one. Ugly as fudge. :P
Yes I'm sure it's designed to look retro and I like that as I want all my guis to look like hardware. It's just the quality or lack thereof that surprises me. If Crimsonmerry could do that professional gui for OrilRiver I'm shocked that Eventide couldn't hire someone of equal skills to do their guis especially this new one. I can think of several gui designers here like Crimson, Limeflavour, Art Vera, ENV1 etc etc who do very professional gui work.

I'm just expressing my surprise that a big player like Eventide falls rather short in the gui department. It's almost as if the user interface is an afterthought.

Yes the default OrilRiver gui is quite unappealing to my eyes but even that shows a level of graphics skill I don't see in the Eventide guis. Just odd to me given Eventide's standing and the quality of their plugin's sound. :shrug:

Blackhole, Ultratap, and some others look quite nice, though.

Not exactly a big fan of the SP2016 GUI either, it's just that i think they wanted to mimic the original device with it.

Teksonik wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:01 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 pm I would say that it looks retro. Probably meant to be that way. And, yeah, that OrilRiver GUI looks great. But, look at the default one. Ugly as fudge. :P
Yes I'm sure it's designed to look retro and I like that as I want all my guis to look like hardware. It's just the quality or lack thereof that surprises me.
it's not just 'retro' - it's faithful to the original hardware's look (which admittedly is kind of ugly)

Latency of 1,2 ms is for me real dealbreaker.

Rockatansky wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:59 pm
HM wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 pmI just klicked on the banner on the front page:
Yeah, I know, that's what I did, I'm not totally daft (believe it or not). :lol:
Just takes me to the product page without any purchase link or buy button whatsoever.
No matter if I'm logged in or not.

Oh well, if they're gonna make it that hard for me, they can just keep it.
I'm wondering if they are fiddling about with the pages. I didn't get the page previously posted as a way of getting it at $29.

What I did find when logged in was when I hit "Buy" it took me to the full price but there was a drop down menu next to it that said crossgrade from Anthology XI and that would apply to me. But I think I'll wait to see if an e-mail comes out.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

dangayle wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:54 pm After digging through the Eventide website, it appears the difference is this:

2016 Stereo Room:
"The algorithms naturally simulate every aspect of the sound of a real enclosure - from the complex early reflections, to the natural way in which the echo density increases with time, to the smooth decay of the reverb tail."
SP2016:
The sound of the hardware is the result of a combination of the DSP processing and the analog audio circuitry. Painstakingly modeling every aspect of these hardware units was neither quick nor easy but now the must-have sonic beauty of these classic reverbs is available for your use in-the-box or live.
Those aren’t the only quotes, but it’s clear the 2016 Stereo Room page references only the algorithms, while the SP2016 page references virtual modeling of the hardware.

From my own testing, you can hear the difference when you push it to the extremes (like in the last feedbacked example I posted above)
Isn't the difference that the previous plug in was the Stereo Room algo only and the new one is 6 algos?

um, there appear to be a number of issues.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community ... ere-sp2016

I'll definately hold off for a few days but I'll get it. I can see it's a major step up from 2016 Stereo Room both in the additional algos and in terms of the increased controls.

Not sure if i like the plate modes, TBH. They sound pretty metallic. The Stereo Room and Room algorithms sound pretty nice, though (well, it's Eventide. They know how to do it).

Another great reverb from Eventide imho. It seems quite a bit more efficient than the new
Goodhertz Megaverb, as I compare the two. Thankfully the crossgrade offer makes it a pretty
easy decision as tends to be the case with them.

Although they do list my $1800 bundle as a $1 product in the crossgrade, good of
them to allow me to continue with that rather than have to trade it in. :lol:

jdnz wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:12 pm it's not just 'retro' - it's faithful to the original hardware's look (which admittedly is kind of ugly)
You're confusing beauty with quality. :wink:

Eventide guis lack the quality that one would associate with their heritage and the audio quality of their plugins.....in my opinion of course.

Anyway for an example of quality (and in my opinion beauty as well) here's a new skin by Hoverland released for Tyrell N6 that simply reinforces my point.

viewtopic.php?p=7182806

Highly talented GUI artists exist that could capture the look of the old Eventide hardware without sacrificing the quality that is possible with today's technology.

Return to “Effects”