Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

bafonso wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:53 pm I would just like to ask for some clarification for transferring ownership, how it would work out. Can you transfer the core program + DLCs together, or could you transfer just some DLCs? At the entry price of 150$ I must ask these questions.. :) I'm actually curious about developing a few modules for this as I did some for vcvrack.
Bafonso,

Yes, all purchased modules belong to your account, and you can simply transfer your account to another email address/name if you'd like. And of course we have a 14-day return policy if you're not happy with the software. We're working on allowing 3rd party developers to be able to offer trials of their modules as well. Lots of stuff in the works.

We have several VCV developers that are building modules for Voltage Modular. The Module Developer will be available for everyone to download within the next two weeks. Right now it's only available to a select group of developers, but if you're serious about building modules for Voltage Modular, please contact us from our website and we'll get you set up with the tools.

Thanks!
Dan

FYI, everyone, a 7-day free trial of Voltage Modular is now available on the Cherry Audio website. Enjoy, and let us know what you think!

Dan

Thanks for making a demo available.

Hmmmm..
You asked. I didn't like the sound of it at allllll.....
I played around with it by itself, didn't like it then fired up reaktor 6, softube modular and vcv rack...
I deleted it shortly afterwards.
Fortunately not everyone has the same sound aesthetics like me.
thanks for letting me hear it.

rsp
sound sculptist

The demo works perfectly on my system. it can potentially create a large array of sounds. The demo is definitely worth downloading and producing some unique sounds with. A request for an auto-preset generator, by hybridization of some internal presets, could speed up patch production and save a bit of time. (Ie. Icarus).
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

zvenx wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:05 pmYou asked. I didn't like the sound of it at allllll.....I played around with it by itself, didn't like it then fired up reaktor 6, softube modular and vcv rack...I deleted it shortly afterwards.
Can you elaborate a bit on what you disliked in particular? Because the other 3 you mentioned also sound different from each other. Is VM sounding worse than all of them? Can you maybe arrange them in terms of sound quality? Thanks!
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

To me, the others have a more direct, present sound. VM to me sounds like if you had it in the room and mic'ed it and played back that recording of the mic'ed version. All the demos on their website sounded that way too, but I thought they just choose bad examples... To me the demo sounded the same.

I like Reaktor the best soundwise....
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:34 am To me, the others have a more direct, present sound. VM to me sounds like if you had it in the room and mic'ed it and played back that recording of the mic'ed version. All the demos on their website sounded that way too, but I thought they just choose bad examples... To me the demo sounded the same.

I like Reaktor the best soundwise....
rsp
Thank you! So you're basically saying it sounds thin, like without much bottom end? The 1st patch I tried doing on my own was actually a sequenced bass line and I was pleasantly surprised how full & meaty it sounded. But indeed I've not compared it to anything else, so that might've been the excitement talking ;) :D

Anyway - thanks! I'll pay more attention to it next time.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

More distant than thin without much bottom end.
It indeed sounds like the demos on their website.

But the main take away to me, is that as everything else in life, it will appeal to some and not to others.

rsp
sound sculptist

The Vm sound depends a lot of the modules you use, the PSP audioware filters are totally different of the basic cherry filter. Same for the chorus, reverb, the comb filter is awesome.
Let see others dev. Modules.
The basic oscillator is ok for me, it has a nice analog drift.
For me, the Vm platform is better than vcv and softube. Workflow, latency, CV to midi, CPU hit.... a winner.

I love softube modular, but the workflow is not for me, and I have all modules available.
Have you try to compare Braids in vcv, at high sample rate and in softube? Same code but not the same sound.....
I prefer a clean, efficient platform, like VM, where the sound come from the modules and not from the host.
Best
YY

Where is the plugin page for this product, so I can subscribe to updates?

Finally tried the demo (thanks Cherry Audio, for making it available).

There's a lot about VM that I like, been following it since it was shown at NAMM 2018.
I like the UX, the UI, the seamless support of MIDI alongside CV and the way it allows moving either the source or target cable plug and the clever way it deals with multiple wires on the same plug, opening up an "hexagon of plugs" allowing a clear and easy way to pick the right one we want out of that "mess" :) ...that's doing a better job than any other virtual rack so far, dealing with virtual wires.

There's things I don't like also, that only the demo was able to show me (so again, thanks for that!).
For now, the hardest to cope with is its incompatibility with Reason 10.x in Windows (or actually maybe vice-versa).

A way to overcome this would be to use a VST-host VST but sometimes it hangs IL's Minihost Modular, crashes Akai's VIP and NI's Komplete Kontrol doesn't even pick it up, at least those were my initial impressions :(

I'm also missing the possibility of adding more Perform blocks which one needs when trying to build poly setups, it quickly runs out of macro knobs when using a 2 for (master) filter cutoff & res, 4 for Amp ADSR and... there's only 3 left for Filter ADS... no R :P

Also, not being able to lock the top "main" section from scrolling off sight, when vertical-scrolling down the rack.

Inheriting those macro assignments when duplicating "voice" sets (vco+vcf+vca+EGs) would also be nice, to avoid repeating all the mouse clicking necessary to assign them, each time we add a voice set.

There's still a few cosmetic GUI issues when (not)( cleaning the yellow module position marker. I need to click on the cabinet to refresh it and clean those up.

Sound-wise, I'm still undecided, at least regarding the Cherry Audio modules. I know I'm not a fan of the Filter module, that's for sure.
Last edited by Koshdukai on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yor right, more perform macro could be great, what I like, it's the macro can have multiples sources and min, max range for individual parameters.
About the repeating mouse click when assigned multiples voices, a nice tricks is to use the shift drag, it allow to shift click a source and assign it to multiple destinations, no need to go back to the source...and save cabinets with cables, it's a big plus.
Agree about the cherry filter, but it can be useful in some situation, the PSP audioware filters are really nice and great sounding.
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:46 pm Yor right, more perform macro could be great, what I like, it's the macro can have multiples sources and min, max range for individual parameters.
About the repeating mouse click when assigned multiples voices, a nice tricks is to use the shift drag, it allow to shift click a source and assign it to multiple destinations, no need to go back to the source...and save cabinets with cables, it's a big plus.
Agree about the cherry filter, but it can be useful in some situation, the PSP audioware filters are really nice and great sounding.
Well, I tried to group-drag some modules (like all 4 Filter Envelope modules) (works without shift but I also tried shift+drag) and then assign the Attack to a macro, hoping it would assign all equally named parameters in that group to that macro, but didn't work.

Also tried to shift+click it but didn't notice any different behavior :/

Press and hold shift, click the source jack, then click as many destinations as desired and release shift.
Macro : right click a knob, set to macro 1, right click another knob, set to macro 1....go in the midi tab, where your modules cabinets, store..
In the midi tab, edit the parameters min and max.
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:00 am Macro : right click a knob, set to macro 1, right click another knob, set to macro 1
Thanks!... But it was exactly this that I was trying to improve, when wanting to (group) map the same parameter on 4, 6, 8 modules to the same macro. As is, I still need to right click on eachone and on the macro selection. That's the repetitive action I was trying to avoid :/

Return to “Instruments”