Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Nice. Like everyone else I need a bigger gui ... And a bug occurs here on win 7, Ableton live 10, 64bit. Right mouse don't work, so no fine dragging and no context menu for copy paste a scene. And no synced lfo therefore sad I hope for a soon fixx
rabbit in a hole

the automation parameters for the B part seem to be bugged. they're all mis-assigned. for example f1 cutoff registers as LFO2 Delay.

I had problem with right click to copy scene. Installed v1.6.0b3 but same issue. Installing as admin didn't help either.
What worked was to first uninstall Surge and then install v1.6.0b3.
Now I can copy scene and have right click menu there and on sliders (faders). Still no menu for wavetables but better than it was.
Fine dragging while using shift works. If right click and choose "temposync" on LFO rate - its tempo-synced.
Maybe this can help someone, try first to uninstall and then install latest version. Used Vst host on Win 10 x64 (vst2 and vst3)

Not to get OT, but....

Any chance to get Shortcircuit 1 and 2 opened sourced..? :D
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

VSTJuNkiE wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:55 pm Not to get OT, but....

+1

love SC1 but ugh, the tiny gui :o
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

this is now my favourite synth, I think.
I always meant to try it out before, but something always came up. I felt like I had missed the boat!
Thank you so much Claes :)
Anyone who picks this up and starts releasing updates, I will definitely donate to.

@VSTJunkie: yeah, SC2 definitely would be amazing; I still use SC1, still my favourite virtual sample player. I actually bought Shortcircuit way back when it was first released.
SC2 was looking real promising but there were just a couple of things that kept me from switching over.

Anyway, I know it's not just as simple as zipping up some text files. OS-ing something is in and of itself a huge project. I am really grateful to have Surge. Thanks again!
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

layzer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:41 pm
VSTJuNkiE wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:55 pm Not to get OT, but....

+1

love SC1 but ugh, the tiny gui :o
For some reason (back in the 32 bit days) I ended up using Shortcircuit 1 as my favourite sampler for quickly chopping up sequences and assingning the chops to keys. Then you could make your settings either for the inidividual chops or for multiple chops. So great and quick.

Shortcircuit 2 I preferred for creating my own drum sounds from samples. Stacking multiple kick drum samples on one key and then assigning a low pass filter to one kick and a high pass to the other to create a blended kick drum. So fast and efficient.

I don't know why, but most software samplers make it totally cumbersome do get the job done. Claes definitely knew what he was doing. He created the perfect samplers from the perspective of someone who actually wants to work with samples creatively and intuitively, without having to click to various menus.

Shortcircuit belongs in the audio plugin Hall Of Fame and I would love to see it open-sourced or re-released eventually, so that we don't loose this gem.

Thanks a lot Claes! Great synth Hope to see shortcircuit get another life too.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:18 pm

For some reason (back in the 32 bit days) I ended up using Shortcircuit 1 as my favourite sampler for quickly chopping up sequences and assingning the chops to keys.
I used this sampler for years. It's still in most of my unfinished projects.
My only real complaint was that you couldn't drag and reorganise samples.

So hey, who's making a Surge skin then?? This synth will become an instant classic with a good modern look.

Folks, i never used Surge, how to open list of wavetables (during wavetable mode in osc) for choose wave manually from list ? It is possible ? I found just how to switch wavetables only via left\right arrows. (64bit Win surge vst2 latest version)

Usually via right click, but right click menus don't seem to work at the moment.

Delta Sign wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:37 pm Usually via right click, but right click menus don't seem to work at the moment.
Yes, ty, already googled in some video how dude does that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSJ9cpLKJoA
Bad that not works.
Very good sound btw.

c_voltage wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:01 pm Folks, i never used Surge, how to open list of wavetables (during wavetable mode in osc) for choose wave manually from list ? It is possible ? I found just how to switch wavetables only via left\right arrows. (64bit Win surge vst2 latest version)
In the orange and black wavetable box top left:
If it's the Init patch, you will see the word "classic" at the bottom right of the box.
Left click the word classic, and select "wavetable" from the dropdown list.
You will now see the words "sine octaves" just under the newly displayed waveform.
Left click the words "sine octaves" and you will see a list of submenus, allowing you to choose specific waveforms.
This works for both the "wavetable" and "window" waves.
If it's not working for you then i don't know why. it's been like that for years, and i've also just installed this new version on 64 bit and it's still the same here

I should also mention that you can create your own wave tables. Even using things like vocal samples and percussion etc.

I can't remember the exact length, but lets say it's 1048 samples long. If you create a sample that is an EXACT multiple of 1048 (example: 1048 x 16), you can load in pretty long vocal snippets, and surge will scan through it like a wavetable.

Furthermore, if you save a preset with the custom wavetable, it will be stored in the preset, meaning you no longer need to have the sample stored on disk 8)

_al_ wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:23 pm Left click the words "sine octaves" and you will see a list of submenus, allowing you to choose specific waveforms.
This is not working for me, presumably the same for everyone else asking for this feature.

mutantdog wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:40 pm
_al_ wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:23 pm Left click the words "sine octaves" and you will see a list of submenus, allowing you to choose specific waveforms.
This is not working for me, presumably the same for everyone else asking for this feature.
Strange, i better keep my commercial version safe then.
One thing i noticed yesterday. i'm the process of switching to 64bit, so was reinstalling everything.
And one thing i noticed is that zebra and blue cat analyser were giving me graphics problems in FL studio (clicking their UI wouldn't bring them to the front).
Then i decided i preferred the previous version of the analyser, so i deleted the dlls (i had just copy/pasted from my vst backup folder), and installed the previous version from an exe. This exe decided i needed one of those microsoft visual cc++ things or whatever they are, and it installed it.
Well this cc++ thing instantly fixed the problem with zebra and blue cat, even though the exe was from 2010 or something

Return to “Instruments”