Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

c_voltage wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:25 pm I mean, why official build has no bugs, while the same code but compiled by users is have problems ?

I think the 1.6 betas are coded with a different framework, so that could explain it.

What I don't understand is why the 'experimental' 1.6 version was open-sourced but not the stable earlier version. :?:

Damn, for developer need was just share already compiled normal version with just removed protection (why not, since already shared even sources) I understand that it sounds impudent lol, but otherwise it seems these problems will have no end.

Anyone know if i would be violating the EULA by sharing 1.52?
Surely it's now under the same rules as the 1.60?
Don't just say "yeah" because you want it. just answer if you know about these things

_al_ wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:15 pm Anyone know if i would be violating the EULA by sharing 1.52?
Don't just say "yeah" because you want it. just answer if you know about these things
Good question, i'm in the queue. :lol: for just in case

If i remember right, when i bought it, i didn't get a serial number. It was just a link to the full installer. So anyone could share it, if we're allowed.
In fact, you could just google the damn thing

_al_ wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:15 pm Anyone know if i would be violating the EULA by sharing 1.52?

No I don't say "yeah" because I have it already! :D

But seriously, for that one does need the explicit permission from the dev!

As I stated before, the way I see it, it is the 'experimental' version 1.6 that was set free/open-source.
The earlier stable versions are still closed source and propietry. Hence under the terms of the (commercial) EULA!

IMO, until Claeys himself says otherwise there can be no sharing of 1.5.2.

_al_ wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:22 pm In fact, you could just google the damn thing
Well, the whole trick is in legitimate way, otherwise not interestingly (or how it tell else, not sporty lol)

Must have missed something, latest github version works all good here on reaper 64..

ZeePok wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:55 pm IMO, until Claeys himself says otherwise there can be no sharing of 1.5.2.
shame, because 1.5 appears to be the most stable as of now. :scared:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

ZeePok wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:55 pm IMO, until Claeys himself says otherwise there can be no sharing of 1.5.2.
Maybe really send letter to him ? about this

layzer wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:41 am
shame, because 1.5 appears to be the most stable as of now. :scared:

Agree! 1.5 is still the best, tried it yesterday and everything works :tu:!

TBH I don't see what 'improvements' 1.6 is bringing. So far all it brought is bugs and broken features! :shrug:

love this synth. still use it loads today.
great news that it is going to get developed again...

Not to be sarcastic, but... it's funny how everyone is always demanding to Open Source old soft synths, and then, when it is Open Source, people complain about the bugs, no new features, and the lack or lack of speed of development. Surge being Open Source now means that (very) few people will take on it, work on the code in their free time, and the development pace in general will be very, very slow. I don't know if Claes' license would provide that someone makes a payware out of Surge again, but, development pace surely would be a lot quicker when that happens. I don't know if that is really in people's interest, though.

Frankly, personally i can't even be bothered to install Surge, when i take a look at all the issues people report for it. Maybe in a year or two, when someone dares to put a "final release" tag on it. Although i'm not sure whether or not that would mean that it is remotely in "final release" state, and usable. Welcome to the wonderful world of free, community driven Open Source software.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:18 pm
layzer wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:41 pm
VSTJuNkiE wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:55 pm Not to get OT, but....

Any chance to get Shortcircuit 1 and 2 opened sourced..? :D
+1

love SC1 but ugh, the tiny gui :o
For some reason (back in the 32 bit days) I ended up using Shortcircuit 1 as my favourite sampler for quickly chopping up sequences and assingning the chops to keys. Then you could make your settings either for the inidividual chops or for multiple chops. So great and quick.

Shortcircuit 2 I preferred for creating my own drum sounds from samples. Stacking multiple kick drum samples on one key and then assigning a low pass filter to one kick and a high pass to the other to create a blended kick drum. So fast and efficient.

I don't know why, but most software samplers make it totally cumbersome do get the job done. Claes definitely knew what he was doing. He created the perfect samplers from the perspective of someone who actually wants to work with samples creatively and intuitively, without having to click to various menus.

Shortcircuit belongs in the audio plugin Hall Of Fame and I would love to see it open-sourced or re-released eventually, so that we don't loose this gem.
+11111

Still use jBridged shortcircuit 32 in 64-bit Cubase. There was a bug with saving sounds and recalling. Tiny GUI, yes. Other than that, phenomenal sampler and irreplaceable to me.

Please, PLEASE consider making both of them open source (if not just v1 will do)!

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:24 pm Not to be sarcastic, but... it's funny how everyone is always demanding to Open Source old soft synths, and then, when it is Open Source, people complain about the bugs, no new features, and the lack or lack of speed of development. Surge being Open Source now means that (very) few people will take on it, work on the code in their free time, and the development pace in general will be very, very slow. I don't know if Claes' license would provide that someone makes a payware out of Surge again, but, development pace surely would be a lot quicker when that happens. I don't know if that is really in people's interest, though.

Frankly, personally i can't even be bothered to install Surge, when i take a look at all the issues people report for it. Maybe in a year or two, when someone dares to put a "final release" tag on it. Although i'm not sure whether or not that would mean that it is remotely in "final release" state, and usable. Welcome to the wonderful world of free, community driven Open Source software.

Kind of feeling spoken to here. (Old reckonings, maybe? ;)) I didn't complain about bugs. I just observed that an experimental version was OS'ed and not the stable version before it! And the experimental version has some bugs and broken features. :shrug:

I wish Claes would pop by to shed some light on that. :help:

I myself couldn't care less for this new version as I already have the original, which is good enough for me. :cool:

Return to “Instruments”