Cytomic Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:32 am Not in existence, but could it be possible? Mr. Cytomic I know you're here!!

You'll most probably have most of the building blocks already there somewhere, so why not smashing all that into a nice, modeled synth :D

Nicely modeled osc's, Drop through nice filters, little modeled FX after that, some screaming distortion, maybe some Glue just before the output and.. :tu:
I've already designed the first Cytomic synth :) It will cover subtractive analog synthesis in a eurorack modular style, but with easier audio / modulation routing. My aim is to not replace peoples analog kit, but to make it much quicker and easier to get what they want with a level of tone close enough that they can keep the analog kit for one off type stuff that analog kit still excels at.

The plan is to offer "chunks" of DSP which can be connected in arbitrary ways and presented in a concise and direct user interface. There are a bunch of killer features that will be in there, but I'll wait till DSP development is more final and the product is closer to release before going into details and providing audio examples. As you can probably guess it will feature most of the filter types in The Drop, but they will all be "morphing" so you can smoothly change between high pass / low pass / band pass / notch with any of them. It will be a level above any synth I've previously worked on in terms of audio quality and flexibility of routing and modulation :tu:
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Here is a brief history of the filter DSP I've worked on:

Around 15 years ago I coded my first filters under the name Vellocet, they weren't detailed and accurate analog models, but they were the best I could do at the time. These I later licensed to Steve Duda for use in Lucifer and LFOTool, and he later licensed them for Serum too.

I also licensed these "Vellocet" algorithms to FXpansion, but went on to do more detailed analog models and released then in the form of Strobe, Cypher, and Amber.

After I left FXpansion Ben from Camel approached me since the filters he got Antti Huovilainen to do for them weren't quite working properly, and Ben was having difficulty getting in contact with him. I helped out getting them to work, while maintaining as similar a sound as possible for compatibility with existing presets. I would not classify the Camel filter work as "my own", so I would not say I wrote the filters in Alchemy, I just got Antti's filters working properly with minimal changes, and I did this work mainly since Ben and Antti are both friends.

Then I went on to form Cytomic, and developed the most accurate analog modelling filter algorithms do date in the form of The Drop. Some of these filters I licensed to Ableton for use in all their devices. These currently include:
Wavetable, Auto Filter, Simpler, Sampler, edit: Operator, Echo (the feedback filter), and EQ8 (linear / clean filters). The filter types I licensed from The Drop are the "MD" versions of: MS2, SMP, OSR, and PRD, and also a clean SVF algorithm which is used as a low cpu alternative devices and also in EQ8.

So the only Cytomic filters available anywhere but Cytomic products are those in Ableton live. If anyone has any questions then please let me know!
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allow me to be the first to say...

I didn't realise you were previously Vellocet Andy! Some of the first plugs I remember using.

cron wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:51 am I didn't realise you were previously Vellocet Andy! Some of the first plugs I remember using.
Yes, my good friend Skot and I were Vellocet :) Just to fill in a little more of the picture: Skot and I worked together at FXpansion, and he went on to become the technical director and wrote the software side of BFD and more, with Steve Duda (now Xfer / Serum) coming up with the original product idea and massive multichannel samples for BFD.

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:03 am
cron wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:51 am I didn't realise you were previously Vellocet Andy! Some of the first plugs I remember using.
Yes, my good friend Skot and I were Vellocet :) Just to fill in a little more of the picture: Skot and I worked together at FXpansion, and he went on to become the technical director and wrote the software side of BFD and more, with Steve Duda (now Xfer / Serum) coming up with the original product idea and massive multichannel samples for BFD.
Trip down memory lane for me as an end user. :tu:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:11 am
andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:03 am
Trip down memory lane for me as an end user. :tu:
Same. VReorder was like a vision of the future, the point where I realised VST was near-limitless in what it could do to audio. A bittersweet vision of the future as DAW to plug communication wasn't really at the point where it was wholly usable (tempo sync and timeline sync wasn't really possible in those early years AFAIK), but a vision of the future nonetheless. Quite a trip coming from years of FastTracker 2.

DubLifeSD wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:26 pm Since we have The Drop, we need Cytomic: The Rise
Why not use the one from Air? 8)

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:26 am
It will be a level above any synth I've previously worked on in terms of audio quality and flexibility of routing and modulation :tu:
You may believe that I'd love to be part of testing it and give an opinion how I can bend it to psychedelic side of music :love:

cron wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:36 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:11 am Trip down memory lane for me as an end user. :tu:
Same. VReorder was like a vision of the future, the point where I realised VST was near-limitless in what it could do to audio. A bittersweet vision of the future as DAW to plug communication wasn't really at the point where it was wholly usable (tempo sync and timeline sync wasn't really possible in those early years AFAIK), but a vision of the future nonetheless. Quite a trip coming from years of FastTracker 2.
Thanks fellas!

Fastracker 2 was my first music making software on PC, what an awesome program!

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:31 am
DubLifeSD wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:26 pm Since we have The Drop, we need Cytomic: The Rise
Why not use the one from Air? 8)
That's called "the Riser"
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

nice story bringing memories !

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:26 am I've already designed the first Cytomic synth :)
:hail:

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

andy-cytomic wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:42 am
cron wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:36 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:11 am Trip down memory lane for me as an end user. :tu:
Thanks fellas!

Fastracker 2 was my first music making software on PC, what an awesome program!
How about revisiting it? ;)
https://16-bits.org/ft2.php - Olav has converted as much as possible of the original to be able to run it on new operating systems and machines.

Also thanks for "fixing" Abletons EQ8, no more external EQ plugin after 9 came out
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I’m super excited for a Cytomic synth.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”