Opinion on Dimitry Sches Diversion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sqigls wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:02 pmFor $49, it's amazing value.
Where are you coming up with that price? Diversion is $169. Thorn is $119.

teilo wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:26 pm
sqigls wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:02 pmFor $49, it's amazing value.
Where are you coming up with that price? Diversion is $169. Thorn is $119.
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... -Diversion
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:03 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:47 am
DJErmac wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:34 pm But the CPU usage is crazy high for what it does.
If you love unison with lots of polyphony.
Yes, you're right, but this is exactly the problem : Diversion is a precious b!tch. You have to be careful when you use it. You can't simply use it like you would use Sylenth1 or Helix or Circle or any synth... You have to think about everything you're doing to save CPU usage. :scared:
Exactly. :?

recursive one wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 pm IMO, it would be stupid not to buy it for 49 bucks
Read this comment and had my self a bit of a GAS episode. Sent my paypal info before I knew what happened, lol. No regrets whatsoever. Man, this synth has some depth. Still haven't wrapped my head around certain parts of how the oscillators work - I'll have to read the manual tonight or tomorrow, but as a long time Tantra owner, much of the modulation system functions exactly the same, which is nice and familiar. Learning curve won't be so steep.

comparing it to many many other synths that do this 'neuro' thing, the mid range bass thing, and the transformer sounds :P
...it has a nice density, and it sounds focussed. The oversampling probably has a lot to do with it, but it just sounds tighter.
the effects are great icing too...
it's quite evident sometimes, that the CPU tax is the only thing keeping Diversion from being a lot more popular.
it's funny, ive lost interest in Thorn, and kinda upgraded to Diversion. Hope it's not too long till v2 drops. Patch surfing can be a real downer, even with nothing but one instance open!! Dope sound though.

Bought it when it came out, but I've never used it much. Found the GUI cluttered, the sound thin, harsh and digital in a bad way and the presets utterly lacking. I should probably spend more time with it since it appears I might have misjudged it.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:34 am Bought it when it came out, but I've never used it much. Found the GUI cluttered, the sound thin, harsh and digital in a bad way and the presets utterly lacking. I should probably spend more time with it since it appears I might have misjudged it.
Probably yes, the factory presets don't really do it justice, you may download the free Collaboration bank, which is better than the factory stuff imo.

https://dmitrysches.com/sounds/sounds-freeware

https://soundcloud.com/dmitry-sches/sets/collaboration

The free Cyberworm pack is also nice (may be dowloaded form the same page)

https://soundcloud.com/rhythm-lab/vinta ... -vsti-demo

The actual synth surely sounds digital but anyhthing but thin. The harshness can be controlled by selecting the "treble" settings.
Last edited by recursive one on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Razzia wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:47 am
recursive one wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 pm IMO, it would be stupid not to buy it for 49 bucks
Read this comment and had my self a bit of a GAS episode. Sent my paypal info before I knew what happened, lol.
I'm sorry :shrug:

recursive one wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:44 am
Read this comment and had my self a bit of a GAS episode. Sent my paypal info before I knew what happened, lol.
I'm sorry :shrug:
Don't be, I'm quite sure he'll be happy 8)

Read this comment and had my self a bit of a GAS episode. Sent my paypal info before I knew what happened, lol. No regrets whatsoever.
You shouldn't have (regrets). :) It's a good synth, just takes too much CPU, that's all. Sound wise it's better than 90% of soft synths i've tried. I'm a bit of a pad slut though, so, it'd be nice to use it for that as well... especially when it has all the unison options you could wish for.

Oh, and what i also didn't like was the phase setting. Set the phase to free running, and it gets retriggered anyway. That's a bit "unusual" if not to say wrong.

chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:41 am Oh, and what i also didn't like was the phase setting. Set the phase to free running, and it gets retriggered anyway. That's a bit "unusual" if not to say wrong.
Isn't this what you mean?
Diversion manual wrote: Note that the PHASE knob is still operating when the FREE switch is turned on. This allows
you to save phase relations between all oscillators in free-running mode. However, if you
don’t want to keep oscillators in sync for your sounds, then you can enable the free-running
mode for one oscillator and disable it for another.

Yep, exactly that. Free-running should be free-running. At least when you strictly take it in the sense analog oscillators are free-running. I think most soft synths actually do random retriggering, which is a bit different, because the osc phase doesn't always run, but, starts randomly on note on. Which can actually lead to phasing. As happens in Largo, or Z3TA.

In diversion, it may not be an issue with only 2 oscillators, but, Diversion has 4 oscillators. So which phase position should you set them to, if you don't want to have phase retriggering? It's non-standard the way Diversion does it - bad.

I think keeping the phase reationships between two freerunning oscillators should in most cases work better than indepedent random retriggering because it helps avoiding phase cancellation issues.

True. But, as it doesn't happen in other synths (Sylenth1 or Spire e.g.), i think there should be a better way to avoid phasing issues. I think Dmitry "fixed" that in Thorn anyway. It has free-running, and random retriggering, and there's no mentioning of this thing in the manual either.

I'm surprised people didn't like the presets. Dmitry is an amazingly creative sound designer. Check out his free patches for Zebra. I also remember the Diversion presets to be really great and creative. However, the last time I checked it was when it was first released.

Return to “Instruments”