Unfiltered Audio BYOME

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Byometrics Carmen for BYOME Unfiltered Audio BYOME

simmo75 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:55 pmAre they doing that or this pure speculation?
Speculation, but the quote from UA above says something about "dedicated e-mails". Sure, this can be for all Plugin-alliance members, or for owners of other UA plugins or or those that tried the demo. I got all my bases covered so to speak and I can't understand why would anyone not try it only because there's no price yet...
Russell Grand wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:55 am This is what I was told today when I contacted PA.
Thanks for contacting us with interest in the new BYOME, within the next two weeks we will be releasing this Plugin for purchasing and with that will come a dedicated email with the intro price for the BYOME.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Terrafractyl wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 pm I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere that there are literally too many automatable parameters in this plugin for this to be achievable in the VST framework.

Zebra2 is the same for memory, I'm sure there are a few more out there.

So yea the Macro system makes sense to me, although I agree that 8 Macros is not enough...

Well I don’t totally buy that. Falcon has potentially way way parameters. But you just assign (up to 128) parameters to ‘host automation’ ports within the plugin.
In fact - that’s other other unfiltered audio plugins work!!!!!
So you just have a limited number of assignable host automation ports, then manually assign them in the plugin. It seems utterly bizzare that they wouldn’t implement this. Specially when there is such a limited number of modulators.

hesnotthemessiah wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:31 pm
PointReyes wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:30 pm
Terrafractyl wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 pm I'm pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere that there are literally too many automatable parameters in this plugin for this to be achievable in the VST framework.

Zebra2 is the same for memory, I'm sure there are a few more out there.

So yea the Macro system makes sense to me, although I agree that 8 Macros is not enough...
OK, that makes total sense to me. But definitely not enough Macros, agreed.
Why limit to 8 Macros? Such a frustrating waste of possibilities. D16 Group (Sigmund/LuSH-101) and FXpansion (Geist) allow you 128 host automation assignments to their plugins. Just select a plugin parameter then assign that parameter to 1 of the 128 parameter numbers within that plugin. Sounds like a perfect solution for BYOME.

Exactly! What’s bizzare is this is what UA do with some of their own products!!!

simmo75 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:55 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm
antithesist wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:31 amStill not demoing until there's a price... I'll just skip that and buy if the (my) intro deal is really good (pushing four times heavy-hitter status at nearly 80 of their plug-ins).
What if they offer a special price to those that demoed it pre-release?
Are they doing that or this pure speculation?
Very sure, they won't.
I'm also a bit disappointed the price is not out. Always on opening BYOME I have a bad feeling I'm too much building on it, and when it comes out I have to buy it for whatever price and it will burn a hole in my pocket :(

Still hoping they'll recognize I have every UA plugin on PA and will get a crossgrade price.

I posted a comment on facebook and Plugin Alliance responded to me yesterday 10/11/2018, stating the price and release would be next week.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like my initial enthusiasm for the plugin lasted. The Granulator is still nice, but I couldn't find anything else that was that inspiring for me; I have better versions of all / most of these effects as separate plugins. With no splittable signal paths and the lack of modulator types (I can't trigger envelopes using MIDI?!?), I don't see what this brings to the table as a Bitwig user. I don't think I can justify the price (that will likely be quite high) just for the Granulator, so I'll have to keep looking for the perfect granular effect.

Delta Sign's demos are still great though :D

Yup we are a bit spoilt as Bitwig users with the modulation system as I can use that on sountoys, eventitide etc and get some crazy stuff!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ilmai wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 pm Unfortunately it doesn't look like my initial enthusiasm for the plugin lasted. The Granulator is still nice, but I couldn't find anything else that was that inspiring for me; I have better versions of all / most of these effects as separate plugins. With no splittable signal paths and the lack of modulator types (I can't trigger envelopes using MIDI?!?), I don't see what this brings to the table as a Bitwig user. I don't think I can justify the price (that will likely be quite high) just for the Granulator, so I'll have to keep looking for the perfect granular effect.

I'm exactly in the same boat as you! Indeed, having all that power just for the granulator is really overkill. I'd wait for their upcoming granular plugin, that is planned by Unfiltered Audio. No idea when nor how nor anything, but it seems they are working on something purely granular. Here, as I posted earlier in this thread:

UA (the lizard) once mentioned this in the 'New things from Unfiltered Audio', page 40:

''The granulator is something that we've wanted to do since starting the company. Curtis Roads showed me a lot of excellent OS 9 granular software that had crazy amounts of power. A lot of these had, ehhh, "academic" interfaces and/or required a lot of work to use and run. He emailed me to let me know that he will happily consult with us while we design and test it. We plan on doing a granular effect this year, and potentially a granular instrument next year. Our goal is to do something similar to what we did with SpecOps: lots of algorithms and techniques distilled down to a modulation and performance friendly interface''

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 pm
ilmai wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 pm Unfortunately it doesn't look like my initial enthusiasm for the plugin lasted. The Granulator is still nice, but I couldn't find anything else that was that inspiring for me; I have better versions of all / most of these effects as separate plugins. With no splittable signal paths and the lack of modulator types (I can't trigger envelopes using MIDI?!?), I don't see what this brings to the table as a Bitwig user. I don't think I can justify the price (that will likely be quite high) just for the Granulator, so I'll have to keep looking for the perfect granular effect.

I'm exactly in the same boat as you! Indeed, having all that power just for the granulator is really overkill. I'd wait for their upcoming granular plugin, that is planned by Unfiltered Audio. No idea when nor how nor anything, but it seems they are working on something purely granular. Here, as I posted earlier in this thread:

UA (the lizard) once mentioned this in the 'New things from Unfiltered Audio', page 40:

''The granulator is something that we've wanted to do since starting the company. Curtis Roads showed me a lot of excellent OS 9 granular software that had crazy amounts of power. A lot of these had, ehhh, "academic" interfaces and/or required a lot of work to use and run. He emailed me to let me know that he will happily consult with us while we design and test it. We plan on doing a granular effect this year, and potentially a granular instrument next year. Our goal is to do something similar to what we did with SpecOps: lots of algorithms and techniques distilled down to a modulation and performance friendly interface''
I'm particularly excited about the granular effect/instrument. I'm hoping some of the cutting edge work Roads et al have been doing into things like dictionary based/matching pursuit methods drip down into it. AFAIK there's no tool available outside of university walls that can do these things yet.

Ohh wow that does indeed sound exciting! :hyper:

to me the modulation system in byome is integral to the plug and patching and creating. it being a complete "instrument" is where it shines imo. once i got into patching the modulation even just doing simple things like having modulators trigger other modulators and introducing timing events in semi random ways or ways that evoke probability is when it made more sense to me as a whole.

but routing FX in all kinds of ways w/filters and compressors and envelope followers was really a pleasure. i think, for my money, it does way more than the sum of its parts and it has some really fancy parts that sound great. it's trivial to do some really complex things related to the dynamics of the input signal and have that control other parts of a patch.

it comes alive to me and i like that i don't have to discretely automate every thing to make it dance. perhaps it's the kind of music i make or just how i interact w/things but automating everything all the time gets cumbersome to me. i like to create stuff is relative to vibe/tempo etc and let it churn on the input. but even doing beat fuckery w/buffers and delays and the modulation system i found really fun and different. especially when i can stick a combfilter and reverb in it somewhere and have that get chopped up as well.

ymmv of course but byome is a no brainer to me. it's too much fun and sounds too good not to get and i like that all the fx are in one place and i can freely patch them w/o having to go to other plug ins. multiFX plug ins are great imo and there's not that many out there and fewer that do what byome can do.

the modulation is fantastic. i just love it. totally sold on it. obviously. lol.

dayjob wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:50 pm to me the modulation system in byome is integral to the plug and patching and creating. it being a complete "instrument" is where it shines imo.

i think, for my money, it does way more than the sum of its parts and it has some really fancy parts that sound great. it's trivial to do some really complex things related to the dynamics of the input signal and have that control other parts of a patch.
This.

I love some of the reverb algos too, and the way they combine with granulator or distortion and dynamic control is something special.

Also I love the way some of the modulation effects sound at audio rate, but I really wish for some kind of pitch tracking to make the most of them.

Yeah I wouldn’t consider the effects themselves as being inferior to similar effects on the market, with the possible exception of the UA originals. They are different is all, imho UA’s implementations are excellent and typically unique.

dayjob wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:50 pm to me the modulation system in byome is integral to the plug and patching and creating. it being a complete "instrument" is where it shines imo. once i got into patching the modulation even just doing simple things like having modulators trigger other modulators and introducing timing events in semi random ways or ways that evoke probability is when it made more sense to me as a whole.

but routing FX in all kinds of ways w/filters and compressors and envelope followers was really a pleasure. i think, for my money, it does way more than the sum of its parts and it has some really fancy parts that sound great. it's trivial to do some really complex things related to the dynamics of the input signal and have that control other parts of a patch.

it comes alive to me and i like that i don't have to discretely automate every thing to make it dance. perhaps it's the kind of music i make or just how i interact w/things but automating everything all the time gets cumbersome to me. i like to create stuff is relative to vibe/tempo etc and let it churn on the input. but even doing beat fuckery w/buffers and delays and the modulation system i found really fun and different. especially when i can stick a combfilter and reverb in it somewhere and have that get chopped up as well.

ymmv of course but byome is a no brainer to me. it's too much fun and sounds too good not to get and i like that all the fx are in one place and i can freely patch them w/o having to go to other plug ins. multiFX plug ins are great imo and there's not that many out there and fewer that do what byome can do.

the modulation is fantastic. i just love it. totally sold on it. obviously. lol.
yeah - the ease of use is attractive. I have Reaktor blocks which can do even more but not as easily. For me it will come down to the price - how much am I willing to pay for the convenience? Probably quite a bit :)

dayjob wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:50 pmthe modulation is fantastic. i just love it. totally sold on it. obviously. lol.
I completely agree! The thing is, the modulation in Bitwig is even more fantastic, especially with the ability to layer effects :) For example, I couldn’t have two parallel filters in Byome except by having two instances of Byome, and it kinda loses it point of being an integrated whole.

Return to “Effects”