Cakewalk Gets zplane élastique in build 2018.09 Build 25

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JoseC. wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:56 pm
ruslan.st wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:52 pm
scook wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:30 pm Check the velocity display options in the Notes menu above the PRV.
:dog:
Checked and here it is: "Show velocity on selected notes only". It was switched on :)
Didn't know such option exists, but somehow on one of machines it got turned on.
Thank you :)
This is the kind of thing that makes many people start crying "bug!!!". This is a deep program, and it is being constantly updated, even now that it is presumed dead :roll:
This is what comes to mind first when working with Cakewalk. You just anticipate strange things might happen :) Only years of smooth experience can change that.
After spending some time with Cakewalk I see it is in better shape than I remember (but still noticed minor quirks in Studio Instruments). At first I didn't understand why such option exists, but that is required probably when you want to edit velocities of separate notes in chord. I find it not the best and intuitive design to solve that, for example Reaper automatically brings velocity bars of selected notes in front and you can edit them immediately, no option switching needed.

planetearth wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:16 am
JoseC. wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:57 pm
starise wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 pm The larger silent majority are busy making music in CbB. :)
That is the truth for so many things.

That said though, Sonar X1 was the most buggy DAW i have ever tried out. Sorry, it just was. And i didn't even make much with it.
It was a horrible, cataclismic change. A lot of users, me included, were appalled. At the end of the tunnel, it was for the better, but X1 was a tough one to swallow. I went to Live until things got better, circa X3. Anyway, it was Roland who actually destroyed Cakewalk's public image, IMHO. Gibson put it back in the right track, but then it went bankrupt by itself. The devs, with Noel leading, have been doing a terrific job these years in spite of all, and they deserve to be supported, especially for the price.
"Horrible"? "Cataclysmic"? Hyperbole, much? :roll:

Roland didn't start courting bankruptcy lawyers after selling off Cakewalk (and many of the other things they bought and didn't know how to market). That was Gibson. And they're still not in the clear. On the other hand, Roland it doing just fine (thankyouverymuch) and came out with the plug-in versions of their classic synths that many musicians have been clamoring for for years.

Gibson ousted their CEO, sold off (or is in the process of selling off) many of the other music-related companies they bought (and couldn't figure out what to do with), and will hopefully be able to recover from all the missteps they've made over the years.

Again, I am no Cakewalk/SONAR fanboi. In fact, I haven't said much to defend SONAR in a couple of years, despite the attacks from people who just couldn't be bothered to try to learn it. But when people go over the top with their "horrible, cataclysmic" stories, well...I'm sorry. But no. :dog:

Steve
I have to point out that when either X1 or X2 came out (too many brain cells have died over the years to be sure) there were parts of the program that didn't work for any user - Audiosnap being the headline culprit.
I couldn't figure out how Computer Music magazine had done a review that didn't notice it was broken and gave it a clean bill of health. I can only guess they had a beta version and the released version got corrupted.
By the time Sonar was abandoned it was running pretty well for me, but I had already started to look at other DAWs for an alternative - mainly due to Sonar's poor reputation and the need for a change.
Happily using Cubase now and await version 10 with interest, but it's good that Sonar has been reborn and is being steadily updated/improved for those who still use it.

Grum.

starise wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 pm The larger silent majority are busy making music in CbB. :)

That said though, Sonar X1 was the most buggy DAW i have ever tried out. Sorry, it just was. And i didn't even make much with it.
It was a horrible, cataclismic change. A lot of users, me included, were appalled. At the end of the tunnel, it was for the better, but X1 was a tough one to swallow. I went to Live until things got better, circa X3. Anyway, it was Roland who actually destroyed Cakewalk's public image, IMHO. Gibson put it back in the right track, but then it went bankrupt by itself. The devs, with Noel leading, have been doing a terrific job these years in spite of all, and they deserve to be supported, especially for the price.

Roland didn't start courting bankruptcy lawyers after selling off Cakewalk (and many of the other things they bought and didn't know how to market). That was Gibson. And they're still not in the clear. On the other hand, Roland it doing just fine (thankyouverymuch) and came out with the plug-in versions of their classic synths that many musicians have been clamoring for for years.

Gibson ousted their CEO, sold off (or is in the process of selling off) many of the other music-related companies they bought (and couldn't figure out what to do with), and will hopefully be able to recover from all the missteps they've made over the years.
I wonder what exactly this is supposed to say. Except for that a struggling company acquired a struggling company, which they got rid of in the end. Cakewalk software support in the Roland years was close to non-existant. I don't know if you remember how long (we) people had to wait for a fix for all those Z3TA 2 bugs. 4 years or so, there was literally NOTHING Cakewalk did about it.

Not to talk about their other plugins. Sonar was sort of the only thing they at least halfway developed. Really, Cakewalk have been struggling for over 10 years now. It's not all Gibson's fault. Even though i don't have any idea which axe people have to grind with them anyway.

ruslan.st wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:42 am
After spending some time with Cakewalk I see it is in better shape than I remember (but still noticed minor quirks in Studio Instruments).
I'm a fan of the DAW,but personally I think that the Studio Instruments Suite is rubbish...

A waste of precious resources and hard drive space...

There are so many better options out there to cover those bases...

Instead,Bandlab should focus their VSTi efforts on Rapture Pro and Z3TA+2 :wink:
No auto tune...

ruslan.st wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:42 am still noticed minor quirks in Studio Instruments
I don't think these have changed in years. Would you be more specific?

scook wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:43 pm
ruslan.st wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:42 am still noticed minor quirks in Studio Instruments
I don't think these have changed in years. Would you be more specific?
In drums when loop plays and soundsets are changed sometimes it stops playing - play button next to soundset browser turns off, or sometimes loop button turns off. Maybe some hidden option again :) But seems there is no pattern, some soundsets continue playing, some cause playback stop and play button needs to be pressed again. Anyway not big issue, and those instruments have more up to date alternatives.
In general current Cakewalk looks stable enough now, although I didn't use it heavily. Now I am starting to pay more attention to its functionality, design, customization. Here my primary comparison is Reaper and so far Reaper wins for me :) But since Cakewalk is free and there is some development going on it is really worth keeping eye on it.
Last edited by ruslan.st on Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Again, I am no Cakewalk/SONAR fanboi. In fact, I haven't said much to defend SONAR in a couple of years, despite the attacks from people who just couldn't be bothered to try to learn it. But when people go over the top with their "horrible, cataclysmic" stories, well...I'm sorry. But no. :dog:

Steve
Hyperbole, maybe. But the change from Sonar 8.5 to X1, IMHO, was cataclysmic in the sense that the inteface, navigation and workflow changed completely. It was like changing DAWs altogether. It was a brave decision, but, yes, it was horrible for many users. Maybe not for you, if you were one.

About Roland, they bought a controlling part of the company, and some time after that Greg Hendershott, the founder, sold the rest and left. The product got no love from Roland, and it showed that they were a hardware company. During those times I had to complain because Roland Iberia did not even sell upgrades in Spain, but Roland made impossible to buy them online. I sent a personal email to Greg Hendershott, who kindly replied within two hours, with copy to Roland Japan.

What followed was a little corporate shitstorm in a teacup, with top managers of Roland Iberia apologizing to me (cc Roland Japan) and the upgrade finally showing up. Shortly after, the online shop was up again and I did not have to deal with Roland again. Anyway, Roland did not seem to be very interested in selling the product, and when Hendershott left the company things got even worse, until they finally sold the company to Gibson.

OTOH Gibson did fine with the product, but their own financial troubles made then stop development. Very different situations.

ruslan.st wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:14 pm In drums when loop plays and soundsets are changed sometimes it stops playing - play button next to soundset browser turns off, or sometimes loop button turns off.
Looks like a bug. Probably should not allow samples to be swapped while playing. Never tried loading/unloading samples on the fly.

Grumbleweed wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:37 am
I have to point out that when either X1 or X2 came out (too many brain cells have died over the years to be sure) there were parts of the program that didn't work for any user - Audiosnap being the headline culprit.
I couldn't figure out how Computer Music magazine had done a review that didn't notice it was broken and gave it a clean bill of health. I can only guess they had a beta version and the released version got corrupted.
By the time Sonar was abandoned it was running pretty well for me, but I had already started to look at other DAWs for an alternative - mainly due to Sonar's poor reputation and the need for a change.
Happily using Cubase now and await version 10 with interest, but it's good that Sonar has been reborn and is being steadily updated/improved for those who still use it.

Grum.
Yes, Audiosnap has been kind of an unpredictable swamp to get into for a long time. Last update seems to have taken up the task of finally making it less so. Besides, the problem with Audiosnap, IMO, is that it is not Ableton's warp, and it is not intended to be used like it, but it leads to think otherwise.

Anyway, I do not believe that Computer Music got a better, uncorrupted version, but rather that they did not get to test Audiosnap at all.

Sonar Cakewalk can’t be that bad. Wasn’t it owned by Microsoft at one point in history? It was even pushed as the premiere Windows DAW.

If the Insane Clown Posse can record and produce several hit albums in Sonar I don’t see how people can complain about it being riddled with issues to the point of being wholly unusable.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

mod edit: it's time you stop trolling cakewalk threads, stay out of this and future threads...you have made your point now move on
Say NO to CLAP!

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:43 am

Roland didn't start courting bankruptcy lawyers after selling off Cakewalk (and many of the other things they bought and didn't know how to market). That was Gibson. And they're still not in the clear. On the other hand, Roland is doing just fine (thankyouverymuch) and came out with the plug-in versions of their classic synths that many musicians have been clamoring for for years.

I wonder what exactly this is supposed to say. Except for that a struggling company acquired a struggling company, which they got rid of in the end. Cakewalk software support in the Roland years was close to non-existant. I don't know if you remember how long (we) people had to wait for a fix for all those Z3TA 2 bugs. 4 years or so, there was literally NOTHING Cakewalk did about it.

Not to talk about their other plugins. Sonar was sort of the only thing they at least halfway developed. Really, Cakewalk have been struggling for over 10 years now. It's not all Gibson's fault. Even though i don't have any idea which axe people have to grind with them anyway.
I have no ax to grind against Gibson. I like Gibson, and I wish them well with their restructuring. But they had a history of mismanaging and inadequately building and promoting the companies they bought on their "shopping spree" a few years ago. But I have nothing against them. I was just correcting the erroneous time-line presented by the previous post.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

scook wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:55 pm
ruslan.st wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:14 pm In drums when loop plays and soundsets are changed sometimes it stops playing - play button next to soundset browser turns off, or sometimes loop button turns off.
Looks like a bug. Probably should not allow samples to be swapped while playing. Never tried loading/unloading samples on the fly.
I've swapped out entire Kontakt, Session Drummer, Addictive Drums and other libraries on the fly, without playback stopping or anything like this.

It might be helpful to know which "soundset" and drum plug-in we're talking about here, to see if anyone else can shed some light on it and help.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:06 am
ruslan.st wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:42 am
After spending some time with Cakewalk I see it is in better shape than I remember (but still noticed minor quirks in Studio Instruments).
I'm a fan of the DAW,but personally I think that the Studio Instruments Suite is rubbish...

A waste of precious resources and hard drive space...

There are so many better options out there to cover those bases...

Instead,Bandlab should focus their VSTi efforts on Rapture Pro and Z3TA+2 :wink:
Agreed. I never used them. They seemed rather "backward" and entry-level, compared to the other instruments that came with Sonar.

Steve

It's been pretty clear that know body is even in the slightest way interested in talking about 'zplane élastique', whether you are for or against the opinions raised in taking the program seriously or not as a viable option as a DAW to invest your time, energy and life in... For many, Cakewalk Sonar has shed it's 9 lives...it's future is highly questionable and right now it's like a ship which has sunk to the bottom of the sea and Bandlab trying to rescue it in their salvage tug...how long will that winch will hold is debatable...some people still wanna get a free ride and throw their safety lines away, some have taken a different option and bought their own boat with another line for safe measure just in case...and there's those that won't ever jump in that ship ever again in a serious way because they almost drowned...

But if anyone wants to look at the title of this thread and you wanna talk about zplane élastique V3... regardless of whether you are interested in CbB or not, here's a video showing it implemented in Reaper in 2014... It's pretty much the same thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8YAWl6v8xk

Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”