What is it that your gear A can do that B cannot?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some like to collect gear through decades. Others need no other reason to buy gear than a craving for it. This thread is not for you because you could not care less about redundancy and that is an enviable freedom of choice of yours.

However for those of us who has to think in terms of budget, available space, or just hate to drown in redundant gear (like me), there will likely be some practical reasons to keep a piece of gear. If you are one such “pragmatist”, plz tell me about what practical reasons you have for keeping your gear may that be hardware or software: What is it your gear A can do that gear B cannot? (E.g. those going modular must have a lot of options for non redunant modules)

Thx

it's hard to say really
sometimes a piece of equipment just calls to you. it's not necessarily better than similar items just that it makes me think of possibilities.
it's like guitars
you can try 10 of the same model and one of them will sing to you.

aside from one or two "they'll have to do because im poor and i need a delay..." purchases from a while back all my gear is used often.

I couldnt care less about redundancy. But I wanted to be here anyway; it looks cosy.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:20 pm I couldnt care less about redundancy. But I wanted to be here anyway; it looks cosy.
I feel like that's what this thread is all about.

Yes, this thread is completely harmless. Though it surprises me that there are not much response. Thought you guys love to talk about your gear and I am gladly listening.

I think I imagined resposes like this:

My Fantom G can record audio tracks and lay them out like in a DAW. It is the hearth of my setup and thus indepensable. My Korg Karma can do Karma based variations. My analog Keys can do probabilty triggering. So can my Digitone but this has a FM egine, which is the the only one I got. My Beatstep Pro can do randomizations. My JD-Xi is my vocoder. That leaves me with 4 pieces of Redundant gear: Deepmind 6 and minilogue, and Toraiz AS-1 and Bass Station 2. One analog poly or monosynth in addition to Analog Keys could do but I do not really need four extras. Think minilogue will have to go and maybe Toraiz too, while BS2 and Deepmind are keepers for now.

You know, like that or maybe shorter or even longer :shrug:

BTW: Must say my software period was my worst period on redundancy. Only a few patches had to sound a tiny better for me to hit the buy icon.

My hardware consist mostly of controllers. All sounds mainly come out of the box...
But controllers are as addictive as other gear. So often I add a faderbox. But in the end I am not using all of them together, though I could...
In the end I tend to have two independant sets, one in the studio, and one for live... (I need to save up for the small Linnstrument...)
Anything I didn‘t touch for a year could go, but I can‘t... (GKS for „gear keeping syndrome“ - I need a doctor...!-)

The main reason I let go of gear is when I find myself not using it. That could be because I don't love what it does, because it is a pain in the ass to use, because it is redundant with some other gear that does it better, or it just doesn't seem to fit with the music I'm making. Or maybe I like it but it takes up too much space or was too expensive for what it does. Or sometimes I've let go of good gear because I plan to replace it with something even better.

If I keep gear, it's because:

-- I'm using it frequently
-- or if I'm not, it's too fun/unique to let go of for what I'd get for it
-- or it's not worth selling/trading (in terms of price, space reclaimed or whatever, or I'm too lazy to ship something more awkward)
-- beta test modules that aren't explicitly NFR but I feel like they should be

Until recently, gear turnover was really high. I was exploring gear and process and style. But I found "my sound" and the ways I want to work, so it's settling down now.

^^^^^ This is the type of answer I am talking about. Thanks. Could be nice with some more. Anyone?

I only have controllers. The ROLI thing does MPE, and by giving notes their own channel. To be useful for me the MIDI track will be 'Omni', aka "ALL" and now thru Note Expression, double-clicking on a note shows what I did with the MPE, pitch bend, CC74, aftertouch. I could leverage the other controllers but it's not very useful. The others are easily replaceable and probably if not certainly with better shit.

Software-wise, I use synths which by design do things other synths do not. Skanner scans the sample in a certain way which is unique, and features modulate that and themselves in ways that are unique, for instance. Absynth envelope breakpoints and the way they effect things in the patch is unique. Reaktor Spark's feedback design is not going to be replaced by some other synth. Kontour's feedback, and use of phase modulation 'FM', its particular control. And so on.

Even something like "piccolo flute" in Vienna Instrument Pro 2 is not replaceable with another library's because of the control. Even before the APP sequencer in it and the patches made for that, which nothing else has even vaguely tried to replicate.

To me new gear is a couple of things
- inspiration to explore it to the fullest
- if an instrument it means playing a lot more in a short period in time - which always means more musical ideas that I capture on a dictaphone.

It's good enough reason for me always bringing the music and film project some ant steps forward.
But sometimes it's just switching strings, or doing fretjobs on a guitar to make it play better that do that job as well. I switched tuners on two guitars last winter - what a boost - and different instruments even - like buying new ones actually.

This spring/summer it was acoustic guitars in spotlite. More exploring different tunings and stuff - also create that "new" feel of the instrument. Inspired by Leo Kottke I tuned down in regular tuning too - and found different tonal quality to at least one of the acoustics that I will keep that way.

Open tunings and slide, fingerpicking as fluently as with a pick.

So it's not always getting new gear - sometimes just making it feel new to me.

Well, I have a quite decent guitar collection, as a few of you may have seen before I took the pics down. Unless you want to get into broad categories, I have very little overlap. Some of my acoustics have Rosewood b/s, some Mahogany, one Ovangkol, you get the picture. Most have spruce tops, but 2 have cedar, and 1 mahogany. A couple are dreads, most are smaller. They all have their own tone and purposes (some are meant for strumming, some fingerpicking, some both.

Some of my electrics have P90 pups, a couple Fender (no overlap, Strat and Tele), a couple Humbucker, some solid, some semi, one hollowbody. Again, they allhave their personalities.
I've seen guys on boards with 10 Les Pauls, 20 Strats, etc. I think that is slightly insane, but it ain't my money. There was one dude on HC with around 120 guitars, about 50 of them LPs.

I don't have 25 distortion pedals, or delay pedals, etc. So, I like to think that, as most of the sonic bases are covered, I am not too nutty in my purchases.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Bombadil wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 pm
I don't have 25 distortion pedals, or delay pedals, etc.
you my friend, are weird.

Ah, yer right there, Ted!
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

I got three guitars I use. What can one of them do that the others can't do? They do the same but they're in different tunings with different pickups and sound. Kemper, no ampsim made me satisfied enough so that's a keeper. I used to use vst for bass but they can't sound as dynamic enough as real bass so I purchased a bass guitar. When it comes to software, sure there are hundreds of different plugins that can do the same. But it's all about what I feel most comfortable with and do the job fast for me.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”