Battery 4 sucks in 2018?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Battery

Sascha Franck wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:53 am
jancivil wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:34 pm What did you do? Did you activate in Logic? Under Sierra, the standalone took me to SC of course, which didn't see it. NA was no help. In VE Pro, activate made SC see it. Now it doesn't. I have older NI stuff which is seen as VST in VE Pro but not the AU.
I think (don't exactly remember) it was like this:
- Fresh install (using the Google Drive downloads NI supplied, my installer disk #1 seems to be too scratched). Had to enter the serial during that already.
- Opened Native access. Showed Battery as activated already.
- Opened Battery standalone. Came up with the activate/demo/buy splash screen (huh?), I clicked activate, it opened Service Center and was showing up as activated, too (no further action required).
- Next standalone opening was without the splash screen.

I suspect that activation generally doesn't work through Service Center on High Sierra, only through NA. But Battery will need SC to activate. So you need to run NA first to tell HS it's authorized, and apparently that information can then be read out by SC, which in return will "inform" Battery that everything is ok now.
[...]
Fwiw, Native Instruments' upgrade philosophy is quite funky. Battery 3 to 4: €99. Komplete 2/3/4 (the last update I did, I transported my music stuff from OSX.6.8 to HS just 1-2 weeks ago) to Komplete 12: €199. The latter being too much money atm, but it's rather strange and I'd be stupid to update just Battery.
I think the basic difference between your system here and mine is that I migrated my whole system via Time Machine. I would like to recommend against this, for everyone, if you have a lot of NI. I had to redo all of it and this is not the first problem I had to figure out which wasn't immediately apparent. But NA has been apprised of the serial number; in VE Pro you see the splash screen showing the S/N and the status is Demo.
So I would in all likelihood have to install from scratch and I'm not sure where I get the installer from, my box is gone.

I actually considered it during the half-price period, I see from me saying "$49.50" but I finally got ahold of the library items and I got tired of caring about Battery. It activated under Sierra and worked fine.
Battery 4 is much easier on the eyes but 99 bucks isn't happening. I never bought Komplete so that's more than $199 for me.

thanks for the explanation!

jancivil wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:40 am So I would in all likelihood have to install from scratch and I'm not sure where I get the installer from, my box is gone.
At least the Battery 3 installer is available as a download from NI (using Google Drive, which, admittedly, is a sketchy thing). No idea about the others, some seem to be available from my account, others aren't.
Anyway, in my case, I think I need to go for the Komplete 12 upgrade as obtaining the installers (boxes might be somewhere but the Battery 3 disc #1 was already unreadable, so I suspect the others not doing any better) will be a tough call and most of the things will be incompatible anyway (the last thing I'd like to do is running any sort of wrapper).
For the time being, I'm getting more familiar with Ultrabeat and it seems to serve my needs more or less ok-ishly.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Ok, I see it now:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byc_w ... jdkLVhadFU

a couple of things, Passive EQ and that ilk from I think K9 vintage are seen as VST but AU doesn't happen in VE Pro 6 here, and Nuendo 8 doesn't see shit.

Wopelka wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:09 am ... For that, I would be grateful if someone could explain how, in FL Studio, it is possible to have the names of each sample pad appearing in the piano roll. With most similar plugins it works automatically, but not with B4, which is very annoying et prevents me to ever use it.
That is because Battery doesn´t submit the pad names to the host...
There is nothing you can do in FLS nor is this FLS´s fault... You have to convince the peeps at NI to implement this... :tu:

Actually Battery 3 provided a longish list of drum maps for Cubase so loading that in drum map setup makes those names all appear upon selecting the note for them, with the attendant patch loaded. I would hope Battery 4 does it. Doesn't help fruity users but Battery does in a way submit pad names to a host.

sorry to derail

but: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=97845
Battery 4 drum maps

Great. Thank you very much. I'll have to grab this as soon as possible.

Or not... If it is for Cubase only. :dog:

Yeah, sorry about that. NI did not make any, this is someone that coded it and shared it a few yrs ago at Steinberg forum. I have a demo of B4 and I saw there was nothing so I googled.

I did grab the installer and did a fresh install of B3 and it works here on OS 10.13 now!

but I would think the pad ID could be leveraged to communicate that to any DAW, just NI ain't doing it.

I have to spend a lot of time setting up to see names of drums via the Drum Map in Cubendo anyway, but at least there's the Drum Map to do it with.

Fwiw, I have *zero* of an idea why that is, but all of sudden Battery 3 shows up in Logic 10.4.2 just fine and is working fine, too.
I started Native Access a few times in the meantime (to authorize what was available without the old K2/3 disks, mainly FM8 and GR4), maybe that was what did the trick. But then, I don't really have an idea. But I'm extremely happy to have Battery back. Saves me from considering the update just now.

Odd, that. I had to use Pacifist to extract everything separately in order to update B3 after installing it because I didn't install the full library; the update installer said no way Jose. I already have what I want and disk space at a premium.

This machine doesn't even have a drive for disks. I held onto disks from the early part of the century, it was upsetting to lose one!

I'm really regretting not getting the 2 TB drive or bigger, the space went fast.

Drums are just drums. Though I rather use Rob Papen Punch, Battery and Punch and some Kontakt library are the "drum machines" I currently have.

dune_rave wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:36 am Drums are just drums. Though I rather use Rob Papen Punch, Battery and Punch and some Kontakt library are the "drum machines" I currently have.
Well, drum-wise, as long as it comes to anything "standard" (be it realistic or electronic), I'm pretty much sorted (well, maybe not really, but at least at the moment my focus isn't on getting the best sounding/programmed drums ever anymore).
I see (and use) Battery much more like a very quick access sampler, allowing me to do things all the others don't do as easily. Record something, drag the file onto one of Batterys cells straight from Logics audio bin. Press MIDI learn for the cell, done. Just excellent. I also love it how you can use the same MIDI input note for multiple cells, allowing you to very quickly create layered sounds. No need to fool with zones, groups or anything. In addtion, Battery has the preview in context function, which I'm using all the time to find out what might be the right sound for a certain job.
The combination of all these can't be found in many others.
I only wish it featured a decent slicer, allowing you to map samples to keys/cells, extract/drag a MIDI file and replace cells at will. Unfortunately, not even Battery 4 has that (weird, because it's more or less based on the Kontakt engine - and Kontakt has a pretty decent slicer).
Anyway, for the time being I'm quite a happy camper, Battery to work all of a sudden (and it really seemed that this wouldn't happen anymore) was quite a great surprise.

dune_rave wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:36 am Drums are just drums.
Yes...and you can get good sounding drums and bad sounding drums...

Drums that are dynamic or drums that sound like they have been hit with a tree trunk...

One thing that is true,is that in "pop music" especially,if you get your drum track sitting right,then everything fits around it very easily...

The drums have to be dynamic enough to let everything else find it's space around them in a three dimensional soundscape...

And let's not forget that rhythm is perhaps the most important element of all music...

So yes..."Drums are just drums"...

But good luck making the whole track kick arse if your drums sound like limp lettuce :wink:
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”