Cakewalk Gets zplane élastique in build 2018.09 Build 25

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ruslan.st wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:32 am Ok, here is video with example from 3rd party Groove Monkee loops: Rock Essentials 1 pack, General Midi mapping.
I play loop along with metronome. It plays well until next iteration, then repetition starts too early and it gets out of sync from metronome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPwTvht ... e=youtu.be
I think I might have those very same loops. At least I have a lot of Groove Monkey's. I'll try to have a look when I have a minute.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:22 am
Whilst I agree with what you've posted and what has been removed as this will probably will be too, I think you're probably flogging deaf horses, here.... You would have to pry CbB from their cold dead hooves... to have them take listen to you...I mean you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink...Showing them something like a stable, secure and safe place to stay may be a better approach... cause all they will do otherwise is.. say neigh neigh neigh, and trot off to do their thing... that's my equestrian view point anyway...
For your information I use Studio One often,and I believe that quite a number of others here do as well.

I also use Cubase and Live, Reaper, and Waveform. I have demoed all the rest. As to why you hate CbB so much is beyond me as they have no connection with previous owners of Cakewalk. They have more than done the right thing by GIVING away FREE a very good professional DAW. They have kept to their promise of updating a and fixing bugs once a month.

We are all grownups and know the risks involved,and as to whether anyone here uses CbB for work involving money I have no idea. Personally, I have yet to find the perfect DAW,they all have their problems,but if I was making music for money,I would use Reaper on the PC for stability. Another alternative would be to buy a Mac and use Logic. But as for a fun DAW with a a great intuitive workflow that gives me a buzz every time I use it,CbB is hard to beat.

What is the problem with giving a new,fresh, young, upcoming company like Bandlab a lift up in life instead of trying to trip them up ?

ruslan.st wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:32 am Ok, here is video with example from 3rd party Groove Monkee loops: Rock Essentials 1 pack, General Midi mapping.
I play loop along with metronome. It plays well until next iteration, then repetition starts too early and it gets out of sync from metronome.
I played around with the browser for quite some time yesterday,and I have to say clip playback seems buggy.

I made clips using the Piano roll view and tried dragging them to the browser to play. Sometimes,depending on the step resolution chosen,it caused problems when dragging out the clip to make a groove clip. Notes that I did not want were included in the clip. Doing a little googling,it seems that playing clips in the browser is a long standing problem.

The good news is that when the clips are dragged back in they work fine. Not much good for previewing clips with though.

dellboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:51 am I played around with the browser for quite some time yesterday,and I have to say clip playback seems buggy.

I made clips using the Piano roll view and tried dragging them to the browser to play. Sometimes,depending on the step resolution chosen,it caused problems when dragging out the clip to make a groove clip. Notes that I did not want were included in the clip. Doing a little googling,it seems that playing clips in the browser is a long standing problem.

The good news is that when the clips are dragged back in they work fine. Not much good for previewing clips with though.
Thank you for investigating this. It's a bit confusing are there bugs or is it by design. If its by design, that design is inconvenient and inconsistent: browser cannot align the loop, but matrix can align the same loop.

jinotsuh wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:36 am SONAR/CbB
(An Ode, to old code)

Inefficient, and outdated
From a century past
as previously stated

Programmed long ago
In a bygone era
Can it really be, any clearer.
"There are a lot of remnants inside the SONAR/CbB that come from the 90s when computing power couldn't handle massive precision. Many areas still limit the user to whole numbers only (transpose, etc.). There is really no reason why cents (or even decimals of cents) cannot be used when transposing... the "semi-tone" was there 20+ years ago."
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3790324
Which is why its so amazing to use with old external hardware.

The truth is if you want to use external hardware,and have access to all your patches,then its either Sonar, Cubase or Logic. And this is BECAUSE they are all old.

It takes a few seconds to download the .ins scripts from the Cakewalk account,and a quick import later gives access to all the patches and banks of my Roland xv88 (xv3080).

Try doing that with Studio One.

dellboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:04 amTry doing that with Studio One.
I did. It took all of an hour to script this and I never have to think about it again. It uses Cubase patch script files. Like with Reaper, sometimes you just have to go fishing.

P.S. I don't share my scripts anymore so don't ask. Just pointing out what's possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lawrence,
Nice to see that's possible in Studio One.

Curious as to why folks don't want to share their scripts?
The guy who added many advanced MIDI features (can't remember his name) ultimately pulled his custom script/s.
Many folks don't have the time/inclination.
If the scripts were polished and added significant function, Presonus could sell them on the website.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

dellboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:55 am We are all grownups and know the risks involved,and as to whether anyone here uses CbB for work involving money I have no idea. Personally, I have yet to find the perfect DAW,they all have their problems,but if I was making music for money,I would use Reaper on the PC for stability. Another alternative would be to buy a Mac and use Logic. But as for a fun DAW with a a great intuitive workflow that gives me a buzz every time I use it,CbB is hard to beat.
I can tell you for sure that one producer/engineer (well known in Prog Rock circles) uses CbB.
He's been a long time client.

Many professionals use ProTools... as they feel it necessary to conform with the rest of the industry.

Most of our composer clients (TV/Film) are using Cubase.

If you're an experienced user, you can shoot holes in any one of these DAW applications.
Cubase is far from the most CPU efficient DAW application.
ProTools is far from the most CPU efficient DAW application.
A professional chooses what they feel is the best tool to get their job accomplished.
That tool won't be best in every facet.

Mac vs. PC is irrelevant. Neither platform is more/less prone to stability.
Comes down to who's driving the bus...
If someone says "Win10 sucks as a DAW platform", it's because they don't know how to best configure it for DAW purposes. Win10 is a fine DAW platform... as is OSX.
For more hardcore power-users, Mac hardware lags pretty far behind the curve.
Apple has all but abandoned their power-users... forcing many to PC (or using PCs as VE Pro "Slaves" along side their Mac).
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm Lawrence,
Nice to see that's possible in Studio One.

Curious as to why folks don't want to share their scripts?
The guy who added many advanced MIDI features (can't remember his name) ultimately pulled his custom script/s.
Many folks don't have the time/inclination.
Hi Jim,

I can't speak for anyone else doing that but it can at times get somewhat annoying when a certain number of people regularly complain about free things, about what they think something should be instead of just taking a thing for what it is if they find it useful, which is kinda how daw land goes too often. The back seat drivers on the net can and do get to be annoying. It's obviously easier to tolerate for a commercial product because... well... you're getting paid. :)

In that light I've kinda just landed on ... "If you want a perfect tool, fine, wait 3-5 years for it or make it yourself." … and I just personally make what I need if I can. Anyway, I only posted that image to say that it's possible.

LawrenceF wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:42 pm
dellboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:04 amTry doing that with Studio One.
I did. It took all of an hour to script this and I never have to think about it again. It uses Cubase patch script files. Like with Reaper, sometimes you just have to go fishing.

P.S. I don't share my scripts anymore so don't ask. Just pointing out what's possible.
I already did hunt the internet for advice on how to do this with Studio One and drew a blank.

Are you prepared to reveal how to do this ?

And anyway, it took me all of a few minutes looking in the Cakewalk help file to find out how to download and install the script. They have scripts ready made for numerous synths. Can Studio One do that ?

NO.
Last edited by dellboy on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting to see that Studio One can do it, but like Dellboy, I couldn't find it. I was a Sonar user until late last year went it went under. I looked at S1 and Cubase fairly deeply, and chose Cubase because of its robust support for hardware. It took a few nights to write Cubase patch files for my hardware (Moog, Nord, FA, Integra) but I don't have to do it again (I wrote my own Sonar .ins files as well). Maybe this functionality is new in S1 4.

While I do not work with the Browser, I did investigate the problem you were hearing with midi loop play and there is definitely a bug there. The midi file speeds up very briefly at the beginning of the second and subsequent loops. I'll raise the bug in question on the Cakewalk forum.
DB

dellboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:06 pm And anyway, it took me all of a few minutes looking in the Cakewalk help file to find out how to download and install the script. They have scripts ready made for numerous synths. Can Studio One do that ?

NO.
Everything turns into an argument here. :) I responded to a simple comment, "try that in Studio One". I did, and could not, so I made it possible and now I can. Finding scripts for various instruments is not the issue. Cubase has tons of them as well, as does Reaper. I used the Cubase files because (for me) they were easier to read or parse for that purpose.

That script installs about 300 instrument files from Cubase that I found on the net so they're already there. I did that thinking that I might share it, but I have no use for most of them.

That's all. Nothing to debate.

DeBro wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:48 pm
While I do not work with the Browser, I did investigate the problem you were hearing with midi loop play and there is definitely a bug there. The midi file speeds up very briefly at the beginning of the second and subsequent loops. I'll raise the bug in question on the Cakewalk forum.
Thank you. I almost gave up trying to point to this issue :) Will be interesting to see if they fix it.

LawrenceF wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:49 pm
dellboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:06 pm And anyway, it took me all of a few minutes looking in the Cakewalk help file to find out how to download and install the script. They have scripts ready made for numerous synths. Can Studio One do that ?

NO.
Everything turns into an argument here. :) I responded to a simple comment, "try that in Studio One". I did, and could not, so I made it possible and now I can. Finding scripts for various instruments is not the issue. Cubase has tons of them as well, as does Reaper. I used the Cubase files because (for me) they were easier to read or parse for that purpose.

That script installs about 300 instrument files from Cubase that I found on the net so they're already there. I did that thinking that I might share it, but I have no use for most of them.

That's all. Nothing to debate.
So what was the point of your post.

You apparently have a secret ( Studio One X script no longer available) but are not willing to share your information.

As for starting an argument, I was responding to the Studio One fanbois who are trolling this thread, not you.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”