Unfiltered Audio BYOME

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Byometrics Carmen for BYOME Unfiltered Audio BYOME

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:10 pm
dusted william wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 am My survey was only 25 ☹️
That's the same for everyone I believe (same as I got anyway).
Yes, that seems to be the deal.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:15 pm
Firebird wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 pm
woggle wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 am
aMUSEd wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:22 am
Harry_HH wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:57 am
lnikj wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 am

It's not really a preset device though - kind of misses the point of B(uild)Y(our)O(wn)M(odular)E(ffect).
What is a "preset device"? I think all devices are "tweak yourself", but the factory presets can give some starting points for that. One doesn' t exclude the other. I'm pro presets, the more the better, in any device.
Yeah I never got this either/or thinking around presets. Sound design is an art form, as an artist I am perfectly capable of both creating my own and appreciating and being inspired by the work of others (and humble enough to also recognise that there are other sound designers much more capable than myself).
agree - I tweak a lot, often from presets :) I have bought from synth-presets before and been pretty happy with them. One can learn a lot from quality presets, good for discovering new / different methods
I agree...

There are many reasons to pick up 3rd party presets, especially for something as capable as BYOME.
I get them not just to make things easier, which good presets can do, but also to learn.

The learning part is very useful.

You can learn some things from the manual but usually I learn more from the presets.

I just got SteveW's presets and have already learned more then I would from the manual.
Plus, a lot of these have deeply programed controller which can be a big time saver.

This is true for both synth presets and effect presets.
Factory presets are usually more on the average side and not that often useful useful or inspiring IMHO.
Are steves presets musical and unique? Which show the strengths of byome? Cause if a preset uses eg an eq. A distortion and a delay i can do it with other plugins.
Yes, they are musical.
My favorites are the ones with all the automation setup.
Its not just that the automation is setup, its how its setup.
That's is what makes it musical, the choices are well thought out and implemented.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Delta Sign wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:06 pm As I said earlier, please don't judge this thing, or any other piece of audio gear that has this kind of flexibility by the presets or demos. BYOME can do a lot of very great and useful stuff for music and for sound design.

If the demos I and others made sound unmusical to you, that's absolutely fine, but please keep in mind that those are always going to reflect the taste of the person who made the demos to at least some extend.
Actually I think your demos sound very musical and said so earlier. :tu:

That's certainly a good point about the taste of the person who made the presets, I'm just not so sure if that kind of partiality is necessarily going to pay off well for a developer.

I as a potential customer am well entitled to making the judgement that the product in question is not for me and I have no moral obligation whatsoever for a more thorough examination of it.
Last edited by jens on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

PieBerger wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:04 pm Well this has escalated hasn't it... If people don't think that the presets are very "musical", why don't they write an e-mail to PA support and feedback back to them with some constructive criticisms instead of getting all riled up here.
Who is getting all riled up? It's easy enough to pass a quick judgement in a forum like this, it takes more energy to actually write an e-mail to support. I for one certainly wont do it.

Am I entitled to express my opinion about the presets here in this thread? Certainly.
Am I entitled to discuss the usefulness of presets here in this thread? Certainly.
Am I obliged to write a support e-mail if I dislike something about a product I am interested in? Certainly not.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Sparky77 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:13 pm
Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:15 pm
Firebird wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 pm
woggle wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 am
aMUSEd wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:22 am
Harry_HH wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:57 am

What is a "preset device"? I think all devices are "tweak yourself", but the factory presets can give some starting points for that. One doesn' t exclude the other. I'm pro presets, the more the better, in any device.
Yeah I never got this either/or thinking around presets. Sound design is an art form, as an artist I am perfectly capable of both creating my own and appreciating and being inspired by the work of others (and humble enough to also recognise that there are other sound designers much more capable than myself).
agree - I tweak a lot, often from presets :) I have bought from synth-presets before and been pretty happy with them. One can learn a lot from quality presets, good for discovering new / different methods
I agree...

There are many reasons to pick up 3rd party presets, especially for something as capable as BYOME.
I get them not just to make things easier, which good presets can do, but also to learn.

The learning part is very useful.

You can learn some things from the manual but usually I learn more from the presets.

I just got SteveW's presets and have already learned more then I would from the manual.
Plus, a lot of these have deeply programed controller which can be a big time saver.

This is true for both synth presets and effect presets.
Factory presets are usually more on the average side and not that often useful useful or inspiring IMHO.
Are steves presets musical and unique? Which show the strengths of byome? Cause if a preset uses eg an eq. A distortion and a delay i can do it with other plugins.
Yes, they are musical.
My favorites are the ones with all the automation setup.
Its not just that the automation is setup, its how its setup.
That's is what makes it musical, the choices are well thought out and implemented.
This is one problem I have with many of the factory patches, they have macro modules added but not wired up - I realise this is left to the user but to me part of the sound design is setting up modulations to create variation in the patch, this feels only half done in these patches and doesn't really show off the range of options available - sometimes leaving things too open limits choice if you aren't aware of what is possible in the first place. If I want things open I would make my own patch (which of course I will also do but examples help) - I expect factory patches to give me some ideas about what sort of things I can do with the options available.

(also setup macros would mean these work out of the box inside Komplete Kontrol)

Well, for the record of this interesting product release;

I can get it for <$100. Thats a steal. No hesitation.
But that list price would make me hesitate for sure, and then the host automation thing would probably stop me.

I saw a post implying that all automation might be added..? Is that true?
Thats a big factor, imo.
ImageImageImageImage

Okay, so I couldn't pass up on the offer I got this for (heavy hitter + 50$ voucher) but.. this thing could be infinitely better, definitely. The first real mind blowing "WTF???" moment was opening up the automation in Reaper.. planning on going all nuts with automating things all over the place and all you get is basically the 8 macro controls.. seriously?? Nobody caught this issue in the beta (no I didn't partake in the public beta)? That is such a serious let down that the actual full retail price looks downright silly. This is MORE expensive than Native Instruments Reaktor 6, keep that in mind.

Anyhow, many of the modules do sound really interesting and can make some wonderful noises. There's tons of potential for greatness here but I can't help but get annoyed by the limited automation possibilities. Even if it's modular in it's approach there's no excuse for not including every single parameter for automation. Plenty of other companies allow for every single parameter to be automated, example FabFilter. Ever opened a FabFilter semi-modular plugin's automation list? Yeah.. it's all there. Every single damn parameter.

Considering the target aspects for this kind of plugin it is almost inexcusable. At the very list let us have many more macro controls. 8 is nowhere near enough. 32 would be the absolute minimum if you can't give us the rest of the modules parameters.

So yeah, in short: I was expecting way more from BYOME than it delivered. The first impression is truly negative right now as I was really looking forward to mapping this thing out on my various hardware controllers and goin nuts with it. As for MIDI mapping in general, it'd of course be nice if that was built in too somehow in a smart way but as it's easy to do in live/reaper/almost any DAW it's not a real requirement any more.. but those missing parameters for automation. :dog:

/rant
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:30 pm Okay, so I couldn't pass up on the offer I got this for (heavy hitter + 50$ voucher) but.. this thing could be infinitely better, definitely. The first real mind blowing "WTF???" moment was opening up the automation in Reaper.. planning on going all nuts with automating things all over the place and all you get is basically the 8 macro controls.. seriously?? Nobody caught this issue in the beta (no I didn't partake in the public beta)? That is such a serious let down that the actual full retail price looks downright silly. This is MORE expensive than Native Instruments Reaktor 6, keep that in mind.

Anyhow, many of the modules do sound really interesting and can make some wonderful noises. There's tons of potential for greatness here but I can't help but get annoyed by the limited automation possibilities. Even if it's modular in it's approach there's no excuse for not including every single parameter for automation. Plenty of other companies allow for every single parameter to be automated, example FabFilter. Ever opened a FabFilter semi-modular plugin's automation list? Yeah.. it's all there. Every single damn parameter.

Considering the target aspects for this kind of plugin it is almost inexcusable. At the very list let us have many more macro controls. 8 is nowhere near enough. 32 would be the absolute minimum if you can't give us the rest of the modules parameters.

So yeah, in short: I was expecting way more from BYOME than it delivered. The first impression is truly negative right now as I was really looking forward to mapping this thing out on my various hardware controllers and goin nuts with it. As for MIDI mapping in general, it'd of course be nice if that was built in too somehow in a smart way but as it's easy to do in live/reaper/almost any DAW it's not a real requirement any more.. but those missing parameters for automation. :dog:

/rant
Yes, the host automation thing was mentioned a few times in this thread. Seems like most people are fine with it, more power to them.

To me, that was the deal breaker, right away. The plugin seems great, the price is fine at any discounted value bringing it under 150 (I could have got it at 75), but as far as I'm personally concerned, standard host automation capabilities are not negotiable for any plugins involving recurring parameter modulation such as BYOME.

I'm very suprised it's lacking this feature.

For me the text rendering is not so good. On my 2016 13" MBP built-in display (2560x1600 retina) it's okay but not totally crisp (possibly this is just the look of the font). But, on my external display (DELL U2412M, 1920x1200) it's positively fuzzy looking.

Host is Ableton Live Standard 10.0.4. macOS 10.13.6
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:25 pm Pretty depressing to see how some people entirely rely on presets without exploring outside the box and trying things.
Pretty depressing to meet opportunistic dick swingers mentioning imaginary people who are not in this thread.

Pretty depressing to see how I mentioned technical observations a few times, but thread here does not care and derives into "I'm gorgeous, I'm the geek avantgarde, I am > Ae".

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:25 pm Pretty depressing to see how some people entirely rely on presets without exploring outside the box and trying things. Probably the same people following a recipe for 5 years and never try one day to switch oregano for basil.
Pretty depressing when people make unwarranted assumptions about what people do or don't do and ignore what people are actually saying about presets.

Time this thread got some pussy

Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 pm Time this thread got some pussy

Pussies are cute.

Heres my response to the more musical presets

https://soundcloud.com/user-841453413/moarfsuts

Some Glitchmachines Quadrant loops fed into various Byome+other things

original track was timestretched in Ableton. Reverb is a Byome send.

Ableton Glue with "Make it loud" preset used on master out.

:hihi:
Last edited by V0RT3X on Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
:borg:

Return to “Effects”