Cakewalk Gets zplane élastique in build 2018.09 Build 25

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:55 am
For your information I use Studio One often....

Personally, I have yet to find the perfect DAW,they all have their problems,but if I was making music for money,I would use Reaper on the PC for stability.
You should notice that I was quoting another person on here and so I'll leave your comments about CbB aside...

But, there is no perfect DAW... you could spend years looking for one...and have absolutely nothing to show for it at the end of it all... The DAW is a tool, and is only as good as the person that uses it, but there are good tools and there are bad tools, just like anything else in this world. If you're serious about music production, you pick one DAW that ticks all the boxes you require and then master it. Almost everything you learn will be cross transferable so you can quickly learn any new DAW's you acquire, provided that they conform to established interactive design principals and conventions.

Before, during and after, you evaluate all other factors that influence it's life cycle and determine the confidence you have in it's development.. and people were doing that before the advent of the internet.. it's not much different to the building of bridges in the early 1900's. DAW's are like bridges in fact, they allow you to get from point A to point B in the creation of music.

Really... when you're using a DAW, it's like a paint brush pallet an artist uses, he/she shouldn't need to fear that it's going to break, they get on with making a beautiful piece of artwork.

It's about, knowing your tools and picking them wisely because they will serve you well in the long run...
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

is this thread even going anywhere besides in circles at this point?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

ruslan.st wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:36 pm
DeBro wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:48 pm
ruslan.st wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:32 am Ok, here is video with example from 3rd party Groove Monkee loops: Rock Essentials 1 pack, General Midi mapping.
I play loop along with metronome. It plays well until next iteration, then repetition starts too early and it gets out of sync from metronome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch v=mPwTvhtoUv8&feature=youtu.be
While I do not work with the Browser, I did investigate the problem you were hearing with midi loop play and there is definitely a bug there. The midi file speeds up very briefly at the beginning of the second and subsequent loops. I'll raise the bug in question on the Cakewalk forum.
Thank you. I almost gave up trying to point to this issue :) Will be interesting to see if they fix it.
Working here like a charm, as it always has. I have been trying with every kind of 3rd party material that I have and I haven't been able to make it hiccup a single time. Strange.

https://youtu.be/T6ek34UT3no

JoseC. wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:01 pm Working here like a charm, as it always has. I have been trying with every kind of 3rd party material that I have and I haven't been able to make it hiccup a single time. Strange.
Hiccups at 52 seconds and 2.15, plus the metronome is also out of time... I didn't listen to the rest... but I found CbB browser annoying myself when I tested it and compared it to SO3's..browser.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Are you sure you wait for the second iteration of loop? Groove Monkee loops are quite long, up to 8 bars. And by file structure seems you use different package than "Rock Essentials 1".
Loops from other vendors you tried (e.g. Drumaxx) were identified as "Loopable" and have "Beats:" number in status line. Such "loopable" loops play fine for me too.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:26 pm
JoseC. wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:01 pm Working here like a charm, as it always has. I have been trying with every kind of 3rd party material that I have and I haven't been able to make it hiccup a single time. Strange.
Hiccups at 52 seconds and 2.15, plus the metronome is also out of time... I didn't listen to the rest... but I found CbB browser annoying myself when I tested it and compared it to SO3's..browser.
At 52 and 2.15 I stop the transport. When I start the transport with the loops going they resync perfectly. I guess you should go back to your software mockups and stop trolling around here.

ruslan.st wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 pm Are you sure you wait for the second iteration of loop? Groove Monkee loops are quite long, up to 8 bars. And by file structure seems you use different package than "Rock Essentials 1".
Loops from other vendors you tried (e.g. Drumaxx) were identified as "Loopable" and have "Beats:" number in status line. Such "loopable" loops play fine for me too.
I don't have that one, at least I cannot find it in my drives. I have been making other tests with long loops, even importing the actual loop and playing it against the browser. They do not even flam. I actually wanted to make it fail somehow, but I could not. I can try a bit more and make another video. This was my first screen capture video, I do not mind practicing a bit more.

Probably I found the pattern. If last note in the loop has length ending exactly at the end of the bar, loop plays fine. But if notes are short, what is quite common in drum loops, and last "note off" event happens before bar end, next iteration starts immediately and a bit early.

ruslan.st wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:01 pm Probably I found the pattern. If last note in the loop has length ending exactly at the end of the bar, loop plays fine. But if notes are short, what is quite common in drum loops, and last "note off" event happens before bar end, next iteration starts immediately and a bit early.
Umm...I´ll check that. Here goes other video:

https://youtu.be/_XqWwOWySTg

Funny, but I haven´t been able to find any Groove Monkey loops among those I have that do not have a note extended up to the end of the loop, and I have tried. All the other 3rd party libraries (Drumtrax, Newtronic, Keyfax, Smart Loops, etc...) appear in the browser as loopable. Anyway, looking around in the hard drive I found a random Trance Loops library with some loops that appear plain, unlooped files, and even without having a note up to the end, loop fine:

https://youtu.be/UPGnQH4Pu2M

Well... the quest seems harder than expected :-? . Maybe some hidden setting again?
Or it can be that some midi files contain information Cakewalk is able to understand.
Another check could be if we exchange files.
It would be interesting to check your plain Trance file from 3rd video if it work for me too. Can you attach it here?
I attach Groove Monkee loop which didn't work in my video, could you check if it loops correctly for you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

After some tests with single bar four-hit loop it seems I found condition when looping is ok and when it fails.
It requires "note off" or "All notes off" event to be present in midi file in the right place - on the first tick of the next bar.

Loops, where last note ends exactly on bar line, automatically have note off in right place and play correctly.
If last note in loop ends earlier, but loop has separate "All Notes Off" event at the barline, then loop plays correctly too.
And only in third case, if loop doesn't have any "note off" (neither note end, neither "all notes off") on barline, it fails.

ruslan.st wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 am After some tests with single bar four-hit loop it seems I found condition when looping is ok and when it fails.
It requires "note off" or "All notes off" event to be present in midi file in the right place - on the first tick of the next bar.

Loops, where last note ends exactly on bar line, automatically have note off in right place and play correctly.
If last note in loop ends earlier, but loop has separate "All Notes Off" event at the barline, then loop plays correctly too.
And only in third case, if loop doesn't have any "note off" (neither note end, neither "all notes off") on barline, it fails.
Well, that seems more of a loop format problem than a Browser problem. Anyway, here is the arp file used in my last video, and I will test yours in a minute:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yes, that loop fails here, too. I think that you catched the culprit. :tu:

JoseC. wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 am Yes, that loop fails here, too. I think that you catched the culprit. :tu:
Your one plays fine for me too, it has "all notes off" event at the end. Thank you for cooperation :)

Ok, its enough Cakewalk for me this time :phew:
Will check it after next update(s) :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”