UVI Plate

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Plate

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:33 pm
otristan wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:28 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:22 pm Yeh, OK, but aside from the same materials in the same order, the same controls, the same ranges, the same 8 band control, the same moving pickups how is it even similar ;-)
10 band control for ours ;-)
And cross platform :tu:
I think Physical Audio should move on from this thread. So maybe UVI took some of PA's ideas - too bad, that's innovation for you. Looks to me like PA took ideas for their plate reverb from Valhalla. And Valhalla likely took ideas from somewhere else, and so on and so on. INN O VA TION. :tu:

What do you want PA, no one to be able to use your ideas? If so, you should have patents and can settle this in court. No patents, too bad.

I really dislike it when companies try and hoard ideas - it stiffles innovation and creativity.

At the very least, PA, take your issues to private messaging - this is a user forum. We use both your and UVI products. I for one am not interested in reading narrow minded corporate bs like this on here. Go away. :phones:

plexuss wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:52 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:22 pm Yeh, OK, but aside from the same materials in the same order, the same controls, the same ranges, the same 8 band control, the same moving pickups how is it even similar ;-)
I think Physical Audio should move on from this thread. So maybe UVI took some of PA's ideas - too bad, that's innovation for you. Looks to me like PA took ideas for their plate reverb from Valhalla. And Valhalla likely took ideas from somewhere else, and so on and so on. INN O VA TION. :tu:
Hey, actually Sean made it very clear in the past that his stuff and ours have nothing to do with each other, so there is really no overlap of ideas there! Just look at the manifesto on the Valhalla page.

[/quote]
At the very least, PA, take your issues to private messaging - this is a user forum. We use both your and UVI products. I for one am not interested in reading narrow minded corporate bs like this on here. Go away. :phones:

[/quote]

Just to clarify, we only jumped in because we were summoned by other users on this thread, and we thought that everyone on this forum would benefit from a more detailed explanation from UVI ... Personally, I see little innovation in UVI Plate compared to ours, so we'll wait for them to get in touch with us, as promised! And, no, no corporate BS ... we are a small company trying to push forward new ideas and new algorithms ... in a truly original way. It's great that people are starting to make use of all of this, but let's try to do this properly, that's all! Thanks for your comment : )

Spent about 3 hours with this thing now. I'm not usually prone to rave, but especially if you like clean reverb: this just makes a whole lot of other reverb plugins totally obsolete. The sound on 'insane' processing quality is just phenomenal, and the differences between processing modes is very significant unlike in maybe other plugins where quality is just oversampling amount.

Tested vs ValhallaPlate (which I thought was the best algorithmic plate around), VintageVerb, Pro-R, SP2016, Sparkverb, Ultra Reverb. Haven't tried it in mixing duties, but against every one of these I was able to dial in a much more pleasant sound with UVI Plate - although it has to be said that you need to fiddle around quite a bit to find the right settings.
Gold Plate on 0 tension, max size, max anisotopry, 1,5 aspect, 20% modulation is usable on pretty much any decay setting when you position speakers and mics in the center.

cjwseven7 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 pm [snip...]but let's try to do this properly, that's all! Thanks for your comment : )
"Properly". That's bs. UVI did it properly - they took existing ideas, innovated them, and released a competitive product. Good for them. Bad on you. Where-as once I was considering a purchase for PA products, now I will no longer do so. You should have handled this in PM. Now, to buy UVI Plate! Go away! :phones:

cjwseven7 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 pm Just to clarify, we only jumped in because we were summoned by other users on this thread, and we thought that everyone on this forum would benefit from a more detailed explanation from UVI ... Personally, I see little innovation in UVI Plate compared to ours, so we'll wait for them to get in touch with us, as promised! And, no, no corporate BS ... we are a small company trying to push forward new ideas and new algorithms ... in a truly original way. It's great that people are starting to make use of all of this, but let's try to do this properly, that's all! Thanks for your comment : )
Then maybe you should get out of the Apple bubble, and at least support all plug-in versions (you don't even support VST) and also the Windows platform. You can only complain of yourselves for failing to make this elementary step.

I never heard about you before, but no wonder - Mac only and AU only. :borg:
Last edited by fmr on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:29 pm I never heard about you before, but no wonder - Mac only and AU only. :borg:
And, a giant sense of entitlement.. gee, just like Apple.

:borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg: :borg:

:phones:

Liero wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:19 pm Spent about 3 hours with this thing now. I'm not usually prone to rave, but especially if you like clean reverb: this just makes a whole lot of other reverb plugins totally obsolete. The sound on 'insane' processing quality is just phenomenal, and the differences between processing modes is very significant unlike in maybe other plugins where quality is just oversampling amount.
Insane mode pushes the number of mode processed to 20000, but thanks to AVX and multi-core optimisation, this is usable. Still I would advise to freeze your track if you want to use this settings :)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

I was surprised to find so much information on PA's plate implementation published freely by the developers themselves in a paper available online, a very generous contribution to the art I felt at the time.

liquidsonics wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:38 pm I was surprised to find so much information on PA's plate implementation published freely by the developers themselves in a paper available online, a very generous contribution to the art I felt at the time.
That is pretty cool of them. Would have been nice if they had a Windows VST version of their own plugin.

Burillo wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:53 am i wish there was a discount for SparkVerb owners...
+1 8) :party:

liquidsonics wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:38 pm I was surprised to find so much information on PA's plate implementation published freely by the developers themselves in a paper available online, a very generous contribution to the art I felt at the time.
One of their co-founders is Stefan Bilbao, whose has written a bunch of papers on acoustics/synthesis, think his first physically modelled plate paper is from 2007, if you are an AES member:

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=14153

Just looking at the computational requirements I'm amazed that either PA or UVI can get it to run in real time, so congrats to both!

One thing that strikes me about UVI Plate is that I can get it to sound like an actual plate being hit. Other plate reverbs employ tricks to get a more natural-space sound from plate reverbs. That's what the hardware did as well - you typically don't want that metal plate sound exactly. But with Plate I can get the sound of hitting a metal plate, with those ripply modulation/warbling you usually get. Amazing. Sounds great too.

And, the incredibly wide range of reverb texture and shape this thing is capable of is pretty amazing. :phones:

plexuss wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:25 pm
jens wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:44 pm
otristan wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:39 pm
Harry Truman said once: If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Hopefully this is not what you are trying to do here...

You can contact UVI Plate developer (which is not me) directly through our support channel. He will be happy to answer your questions.
Actually it looks like that is exactly what you are trying to do now - I for one think you got busted wide open...
Butsted wide open borrowing interface and sound ideas from other products to make a different and they hope better product - another word for which is "innovation".

I am all for plugn companies borrowing from each other to create newer better cheaper products. In fact, I can't think of a plugin I have, and I have many, that is 100% unique.

Valhalla was the first reverb I saw using the concept of metals/materials for different plate characteristics. I wouldn't necessarily credit Physical Audio for that idea.

You are barking up the wrong tree here. As per usual. :phones:
Valhalla Plate is completely different. So mentioning them here is a moot point.

UVI Plate is just super super similar to PA1. The architecture, the parameter names, how the GUI is laid out - they almost look like twins separated at birth.

I see - as usual - a lot of double-standards at work here in this thread. A less popular developer than UVI would have been getting completely roasted for this blatant kind of rip-off, which gets touted as innovation here. If it would be the other way around and UVI Plate would have been first, everyone would cry murder because of (the unknown, hence unpopular) Physicalaudio releasing PA1. You can deny that all you like, but that is in my book just proof of spineless, disingenous partiality. I have really seen enough of that over the years, online and in the real world.

edited to fix typos
Last edited by jens on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

plexuss wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:52 pm

What do you want PA, no one to be able to use your ideas? If so, you should have patents and can settle this in court. No patents, too bad.

I really dislike it when companies try and hoard ideas - it stiffles innovation and creativity.
Your accusations and insinuations are incredible. They have no bearing in reality.
They have as much right to be here and post here as you. Who are you to tell them to go away? You are not a moderator and you have zero authority here.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

plexuss wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:27 pm One thing that strikes me about UVI Plate is that I can get it to sound like an actual plate being hit. Other plate reverbs employ tricks to get a more natural-space sound from plate reverbs. That's what the hardware did as well - you typically don't want that metal plate sound exactly. But with Plate I can get the sound of hitting a metal plate, with those ripply modulation/warbling you usually get. Amazing. Sounds great too.

And, the incredibly wide range of reverb texture and shape this thing is capable of is pretty amazing. :phones:
Sounds interesting, worth to demo.
BTW, UVI is one of those lazy b*****ds in communicating new products to their clients. I haven't got a sinle message of this new product, although being UVI's customer about 10 years, order their mail, and own 9 of their products.

Return to “Effects”