NEW: Waves Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain

(dang!)
Last edited by jens on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

lacandon wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:38 pm Is it as good as the softube modules?Doubt it a bit since waves never been top league in emulations
Ah, yes, sure. Sounds like you know your shit.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Well I was able to make a cleaner sounding master with it, so that's gotta be worth something. The last track I released, I put ARTGMC in the chain and tweeked it to clean things up and see what I get. It was pretty quick to get a cleaner, nicer sounding master. perhaps I could have done it with a bit more EQ using some other EQ but ARTGMC worked well enough. I like some of the filters and the limiter imparts a nice character and sound-stage (but it also consumes a lot of CPU on my sytem). Also, the plugin band-limits quite aggressively at 20kHz so if you are working in higher project rates your UHFs will get cut off, which makes sense. :phones:

Mastered with TG Mastering in the chain, just before finalization:

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/th ... -the-devil

Mastered without using TG Mastering:

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/th ... ut/s-B25x4
Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 11.16.54 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

it's available at almost $30 at EveryPlugin, so i took the plunge. loading it in the plugin doctor, i can confirm that it's pretty much clean. it's so funny to read about "typical Waves crunchy saturation sound" on Gearslutz about a plugin that doesn't appear to model any saturation whatsoever.

compressor/limiter produces harmonics, but any limiter does when it's engaged. this one produces harmonics at analysis levels because it has a very soft knee and thus starts reacting way earlier. turning down the input gain (or disabling the limiter) removes the "harmonics". in other words, this plugin is completely clean as far as i can tell. that said, i don't mean it as a negative - i actually like it that way, because that means i can use it for its actual intended purpose and easily combine it with anything else without worrying about saturation building up or not liking the color it adds.

the EQ section is surprisingly versatile because of the way it is structured. the EQ has 4 bands that are all similar in operation and are switchable between hi/lo shelf and broad/medium/sharp bell, which allows both doing broad strokes as well as more precise adjustments. by no means it's an equivalent to something like a Pro-Q2, but it's flexible enough to be useful in a lot of circumstances IMO. the plugin is also oversampled and the curves are decramped :D as mentioned above, the EQ is completely clean, so whatever "analog character" they might add is in the curves, not in the saturation.

the compressor/limiter... i haven't tested it on a lot of material, but on drums and buses it sounds plain awesome to my ears. it is easy to set up, has good automatic gain compensation and is very musical and doesn't pump much. all modes (original, modern and limit) sound like something i would use in different circumstances, and attack/release settings are intuitive and program-dependent enough to work on a lot of things.

all in all, i'm glad i got this.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Incredible. Everyplugin has it for $25 after discounts and this includes renewal WUP on all my other Abbey Road waves plugins. I have them all and WUP alone is worth $190! :phones:

Do you receive the codes instantly or is there a time window?

plexuss wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:33 am Incredible. Everyplugin has it for $25 after discounts and this includes renewal WUP on all my other Abbey Road waves plugins. I have them all and WUP alone is worth $190! :phones:
You mean after you also add the YNY23 code?

Does anyone else have GUI issues in Ableton Live 10 (Windows/64bit) ? All the modules in the 'normal' version are darkened and the controls don't seem to move, and in the 'live' version it looks like a completely empty rack without any modules visible.

All seems fine in Reaper though ...

i stand corrected - the "modern" mode is indeed very clean, but both "original" and "limit" modes model saturation, and so gain staging does make some difference here. that said, as was mentioned by one of the previous posters, the saturation is extremely subtle, and is only present if the comp/limiter is engaged (and you have to load the input with a lot of signal for it to become audible).
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I'm liking this, both on master and creatively on individual instruments.

plexuss wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:33 am Incredible. Everyplugin has it for $25 after discounts and this includes renewal WUP on all my other Abbey Road waves plugins. I have them all and WUP alone is worth $190! :phones:
Hey Plexuss, did you buy Abbey Road plugins as a bundle or purchased them one by one?

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:20 pm
Hey Plexuss, did you buy Abbey Road plugins as a bundle or purchased them one by one?
Oh hey. I have them all separately. :phones:

That leaves me some hope. Thank you for taking a time to answer.

Return to “Effects”