Acid Pro 8 Confirmed for 2018 Release

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8

I believe one of the developers of Mixcraft at one time worked for Sonic Foundry.

Sequent wrote:I believe one of the developers of Mixcraft at one time worked for Sonic Foundry.
Yes, it's the old team that worked at Sonic Foundry.

Karma_tba wrote:I was surprised by Magix's release of Acid Pro 8. My experience with computer based music began with me stumbling on Hip-Hop EJay which led me to Acid Pro 3. Up until then my computer was a glorified game machine, I didn't really know why I dumped a shitload of money into a PC when consoles were less of a PITA to play games. Suddenly I had a legit reason for owning a computer. Making loop based music was a lot of fun I gave myself a stage name and eventually I was posting tracks on Acid Planet and doing the review=review trip. Next came VST's and MIDI and I felt like I was cheating using loops (even though it was an art form itself). I had no formal music training and music theory was just that...a theory. As a consequence my tracks were and remain simple. After collecting a bunch of synths free or commercial I realized I didn't like them and I was more inclined to using romplers as I prefer traditional instruments. I stuck with Acid up to version 7. Then came Orion, FL Studio, Tracktion, and eventually Studio One. Somewhere along the line I out grew my SoundBlaster and Acid so when Magix announced Acid Pro 8 I did my happy dance. That only lasted till I installed the trial. :( It was Acid alright just with a dark color scheme and a few of Magix's plug ins. Throw in some cartoony icons and boom...Acid Pro 8. The cosmetic changes give way when you click on any of the menus. Very little has been changed or improved, I guess you can't go home after you've been to the city. If this is your first DAW you'd be better served by the free Tracktion, if it's not don't bother unless your feeling nostalgic.
That may be enough for people who just use Maschine and are willing to try good loop arranger.

I thought this was going to be related to Sonic Foundry's Acid somehow... I guess that's something totally different. I was never familiar with it to be honest, but back a million years ago it had something to do with recording music. :roll:

EDIT: Just found this
It’s the end of an era – but maybe not such a golden era. Once upon a time, ACID and Sound Forge were each industry-leading software tools, originally developed by Sonic Foundry. Now, languishing alongside their stablemate, video editor Vegas, they’re seeing ownership pass from Sony (via its creative software division) to German software house and holding company MAGIX.
http://cdm.link/2016/06/sony-just-sold- ... rge-magix/

I can get Acid for 99.00 right now as an upgrade. I will say one thing....So far Magix has done far more for Acid than Sony ever did. Acid is in the game again and nothing to be sneezed at.

Magix are a joke, they buy end of life software to get associated IP, rebadge and paint job, release and forget, erm yellowtools lol.
Duh

starise wrote:I can get Acid for 99.00 right now as an upgrade. I will say one thing....So far Magix has done far more for Acid than Sony ever did. Acid is in the game again and nothing to be sneezed at.
I found it cool to see that they basically kept the minimalistic and old-fashioned GUI.
For DISCOGRAPHY, see К Ɱ Ԏ Ꮇ Ꮩ Ꭶ Ꭵ Ꮳ

bungle wrote:Magix are a joke, they buy end of life software to get associated IP, rebadge and paint job, release and forget, erm yellowtools lol.
Yeah... no update to the main product, however, they've been apparently using the engine for their various little instrument plugins.

Well, at the very least, now it's 64-bit.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

satYatunes wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:38 am Matching acidized loops to project tempo feature is available in almost all DAWs however matching loop Key to project key was something unique to Acid. Waveform has this feature. Don't have Live so cannot comment. I will try Cubase later.
I've tried matching keys of a batch on loops in Reaper, it works but you have to manually adjust each loop, it's not automatic like it is in Acid Pro and it doesn't have a project key setting. As far as I know, FL Studio and Renoise can't key match a batch of loops either.

In Ableton Live, I don't see how it can be done as easily as in Acid Pro. I've read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/abletonlive/co ... a_project/

It seems to work similarly to Reaper, you transpose your loop's pitch until you hit the right key. In Acid Pro, you simply enter the loop's key and it will automatically adjust to the project key. It seems that Ableton Live doesn't have a "project key" setting (correct me if I'm wrong), so it can't do that.

In Mixcraft you have a project key, but if the loops aren't acidized you have to transpose them to the right key. It's not as straightforward as Acid where you simply enter the key.

Cubase seems to do a better job at this judging from their documentation:

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... ith_t.html

I've had a look at Sonar and it's certainly not as easy as Acid. Again, correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not really familiar with it.

So yeah, Acid Pro is still relevant if you work with loops that you want to mix and match, remix and mix. It hardly gets faster and easier! The only thing I'm unsure of is if it's stable with VST effects, especially tempo based effects. In Acid Pro 7 I always had problems, so I would export my loops in FL Studio to apply my tempo-based effects and master my tracks. I might give v8 a try if they have a demo...

Ended up buying it. It's really good to make a particular genre of music I produce, it seems almost custom made to create that genre!

To manipulate loops, it's top notch and it's hard to beat. However, it's a bit thin on the plugin department. There are some really good effects added by Magix though, very usable stuff. For instruments, there's some interesting stuff but nothing spectacular. For the price, I expected a little bit more.

They offer both 32-bit and 64-bit installation, the 64-bit version couldn't recognize all my x64 plugins. When I refreshed the plugin list, some plugins that were first scanned disappeared from the list. It's annoying.

Strangely, the 32-bit version works better with plugin scanning. It recognizes all my x86 plugins and everything runs smoothly. I experienced 1 random crash with it not related to plugins (I copied and pasted a section and it crashed).

As it is, it's good enough to produce loop-based music, add effects and add a few instruments here and there. I wouldn't go and create complex mixing setups with a lot of VSTi, I don't think it could take that.

The mixer is a bit weird though, it seems to be calibrated in a weird way. It took me a bit of time to get used to it as it tends to clip very easily.

^
Whats the unique aspect that allows you to create this undisclosed genre?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:06 am ^
Whats the unique aspect that allows you to create this undisclosed genre?
It's just really fast to mix and match a batch of loops and make them all in the same key. Like I explained above, it's possible in other DAWs but it's not as fast nor as easy and it doesn't sound as good. One thing I discovered is that you can change the key of all the loops on the timeline going from one key to another, something you can't do in Ableton Live/FL Studio/Reaper since there's no project key function in those DAWs. It's really useful to change the mood of the music. They explained it in the Magix intro video for Acid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2osBYVB-hM

That being said I'm going to do further tests as I'm not sure it'll be able to manage large projects, even if they are mostly loop based.

Thanks, S1 can do similar
Amazon: why not use an alternative

SampleScience wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 pm

I've had a look at Sonar and it's certainly not as easy as Acid. Again, correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not really familiar with it.

Cakewalk supports Acid Loops natively. There is a Project pitch, and you can set loops to follow it globally. You can also create and save loops in the Acid format. Any loop that you save from the Loop Construction View gets acidized, and its slice information is recognized by other programs as Acid loop.

The Loop Construction view is pretty straightforward, and unless you want to do some creative changes there is usually not much to do, since its automatic detection works pretty well.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?p ... ws.43.html

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”