PluginPlay.co - an attempt to unify VST environment?!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't see how I would store all login credentials to my accounts in the cloud somewhere.

And it's never been close to a problem with updates - Toontrack, XLN Audio, Waves and Steinberg have their own download/update managers.
And no subscriptions for me either - never ever will I go for that on software products.

Some vendors also do login and send email with links for updates - one thing to look at.
I have at least two I come to think of doing that.

And some vendors own "check for updates" thingy does not work - so how is this service going to do better?

My comments are just part of the market research you should do before starting a business.
How much in demand is this service you try to develop?

It has to be something like price comparison sites - that a lot of online shops want to get listed at with every product they have, just about.

So check with all major vendors - how interested are they, really?
Forget about to build your own scripts to login and find the products on various accounts.

Price comparison sites might be interested in your idea as an extension of what they do - and they have a lot of doors open into various parts of markets. Maybe VST updates is too narrow of a field, don't know. If so widen the idea, maybe....

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:29 pm A solution to a problem that never existed.
I think it exists, but for a very specific audience that doesn't depend much on recalls and is too young to remember the mp3.com, myspace, geocities, yahoo, last.fm, Google+ and other IT titanics disappearing over night. Startups likely blow and pop within a year, once they realize that Amazon S3 really isn't free. ;)

Pros, anybody with real customers and real responsibility will of course avoid the risk. They know very well how short lived such offers really have been in the past!

Big studio infrastructures, media agencies and broadcast also likely have their IT well shielded, so either usability or copy protection has to suffer. Privacy fully outsourced to a startup and its partners to make it work! (this is true both for the customer and manufacturer)

Recall is absolutely holy nowadays, if you mess this up in a huge post production project, you lose income. No remote system can guarantee recall or perpetual compatibility. Only if the customer pays, has inet connection, the product still works, the plugin manufacturer still takes part and pluginPlay still exists. The best type of job is an old customer asking for an edit, refusing or failing at them is the best way to knock out your career early, without even noticing. This is a big fat elephant IMHO.

I personally do not like the immense technical complication, lower stability and weaker privacy (btw, GDPR?). The deep anti-piracy measures any subscription model depends on, the network dependency, the user's loss of control, all this isn't very appealing from my perspective.

In that sense, I somewhat sit in the "solution looking for a problem" camp.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Seeing as how just about everyone refuses to use Gobbler.............
Amazon: why not use an alternative

this didn't take off then

I was interested but no proper macOS or Linux support AFAIK.

For me, as user, the question is : what happens in case of an issue with your (kind) service ?

That's for me a reason to always apply in my life the sentence : "Never put all your eggs in the same basket".

In prevision of reinstallation of the current versions, I simple make systematically a backup of every installer and every serial key in an external drive AND on my NAS (double backup in case of). And when there is a new version of something I'm always notified either by the developer himself either by KVR (I carefully fill and maintain the database of each product I own in my KVR profile, carefully updating also the current version just above the indication "I own this"), an event which happens two or three times per week for small products and two or three times per month for big products (systematic procedure: usual double-backup of the new installer then update operation of my installed version) in my wide setup.

Simple. Easy. Direct. Quiet. And fast. Never the least trouble.

As single user I wish you a good success, but I'm pretty sure that the developers themselves too, at least simply by precaution, will keep in parallel their own current method.

I'm pretty sure that your system would probably have way more sense with the freeware world than with the payware world. In the freeware world, yes it is absolutely certain that your service would be, and with reason, a very great success. Even if for the freeware developers there would be a small half-yearly or yearly cost to use your system instead of paying a much bigger cost to web hosters each year. They would certainly find your solution much more interesting for them, indeed.

Cheers!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I really don't know why all software companies don't have Rent to Own these days , it makes sense for people that cant afford to splash out hundreds at once

I didn't read all the replies but..
I like plugin subscriptions, you have to pay big $ for updates on bought plugins anyways.
I am not installing this though. My first instinct looking at the website is that it's a scam. There is zero details on pricing and terms. Even if it's not, I am not installing something to find this information out.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”