My DAW PC hates me though I shower it with nothing but love..time to switch to a Mac?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xxxyjyukcttgukklvyhul
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

So, you have been building PC's for 20 years, and you never stop fighting BSODs and driver update failings? Man, you must be really incompetent. You should have look for help A LONG TIME AGO :hihi:

So, you bought a Mac one year ago... Maybe you should have done that sooner. You clearly don't have the skills to build your own PC.

But if you read this thread, you should have noticed that usually, Macs don't fail after one year (because that's under the warranty). Problems usually happen a little past over two years, or when Apple "updates" the OS. So, keep your champaign on ice, and don't open the bottle yet. It's too early to celebrate.
Fernando (FMR)

xcfthykjv hylui;uikubjioum=omoomom
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eclectus wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 pm
fmr wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:03 pm So, you have been building PC's for 20 years, and you never stop fighting BSODs and driver update failings? Man, you must be really incompetent. You should have look for help A LONG TIME AGO :hihi:

So, you bought a Mac one year ago... Maybe you should have done that sooner. You clearly don't have the skills to build your own PC.
There there. You're on my blocklist now. Is that better? Cheerio! :tu:
Truth hurts :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

:smack:

People, people. C'mon - the guy's Mac never needed a format in a whole year!
That's gotta be worth sumphin, ain't it? Bit of respect.
Last edited by egbert on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toonertik wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:26 pm
jabe wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:15 pm I used to used IBM mainframes, but not for music.
Me to.. but not for music... data data data tada!
Sometimes it was even fun. Such as trying to unravel Colossal Cave. I left my findings to the next generation, who completed it.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

In all seriousness, Mac is likely to dump Intel and go with ARM processors within the next few years. The objective here would be to be able to build a professional audio workstation that will fit in something the size of a cigarette packet - presumably.

If this goes down there will likely be some emulation but eventually things will need to be coded and optimised for the 4th platform in 30 years. That will be a speedbump and a half for the whole industry.

egbert wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:51 pm In all seriousness, Mac is likely to dump Intel and go with ARM processors within the next few years. The objective here would be to be able to build a professional audio workstation that will fit in something the size of a cigarette packet - presumably.
We'll see it when it will happen. For the time being that's nothing else than pure speculation. Do they even have a real macOS running in ARM?
Fernando (FMR)

Mac OS - the Next Step kind - is built on a UNIX variant and has been ported to all kinds of hardware. One port was reportedly done by an intern believe it or not.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/1 ... tel_again/

fmr wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:03 pm So, you have been building PC's for 20 years, and you never stop fighting BSODs and driver update failings? Man, you must be really incompetent. You should have look for help A LONG TIME AGO :hihi:

But if you read this thread, you should have noticed that usually, Macs don't fail after one year (because that's under the warranty). Problems usually happen a little past over two years, or when Apple "updates" the OS. So, keep your champaign on ice, and don't open the bottle yet. It's too early to celebrate.
Really Fernando? Was there any need to personally insult someone?

Why are you so insecure about people previously using PC's but now 'successfully' using Macs you feel you have to personally attack them now?

Aren't we all here just to share experiences, learn best practices, learn and create better music regardless of platform? This thread has demonstrated the bitterness of some people for no apparent reason.

:clap: :roll:

@fmr
Remember, Apple makes plenty moolah. It makes bugger all of that wad from the Mac these days. The ARM based iPhone brings home the bacon. The company makes its own ARM cpus for the iThings and presumably any other consumer electronics it has coming down the pike. The investment is in shifting unique shiny baubles to the faithful and making new converts. Using an Intel based platform for Macs makes it less profitable and less distinctive wrt the competition. Rolling its own will be more profitable (no margin for Intel for chipsets and CPUs etc) and allow more control of design, form factor etc.

If this doesn't pan out it will not be because Apple didn't want all of those goodies.

egbert wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 pm People, people. C'mon - the guy's Mac never needed a format in a whole year!
That's gotta be worth sumphin, ain't it? Bit of respect.
That is one big feature in a Mac's favor.

But actually reflects its roots in Unix, BSD , Linux.

@dellboy - like you, 20 years of building PCs. Half a dozen working here. Haven't formatted anything except new drives since the 90s. You sound like a bot.

Oh - and seriously, Mac OS has roots in Linux? Who knew. Try telling that to Torvalds. :-o

egbert wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 pm @dellboy - like you, 20 years of building PCs. Half a dozen working here. Haven't formatted anything except new drives since the 90s. You sound like a bot.

Oh - and seriously, Mac OS has roots in Linux? Who knew. Try telling that to Torvalds. :-o
Not sure what I said to upset you, are you anti or pro Mac ?

I use Windows purely because I cannot afford a Mac.

As for Torvalds, yes, Linux is not Unix, but its roots or DNA are in there somewhere. I well remember reading in the early 1990's about how Torvalds was building a new operating system that was very Unix like but not actually Unix. Or is my memory playing tricks again ?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”