Blue Cat's PatchWork Finally Adds Drag And Drop for Plug-Ins

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[This topic has already been posted in the effects forum with more details, but since PatchWork is a mainly a plug-in host and is widely used as a standalone application, we thought it as worth giving the heads up here too]

Version 2.3 is now available as a free update and adds among other things drag and drop support to move, duplicate or insert plug-ins anywhere in the plug-ins matrix. We hope you will like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAiLgtcopQ

Thanks guys! This is a big change.

It's great having this in Axiom, and even nicer having it in patchwork.

Very cool. Love PatchWork. :)

Robert Randolph wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:19 pmIt's great having this in Axiom, and even nicer having it in patchwork.
It is definitely useful for both! And if you own the MB-7 Mixer multiband host or Late Replies creative delay plug-ins, check out the full version download page: a new preview with drag and drop is available for them too.

Any chance we might see an offering of Axiom, Late Replies, & MB-7 in the charity auction?
Honestly, these are probably the only things I've been hoping to bid on there!

We are a bit late to the party - we definitely need to take the time to offer something to the auction again this year!

I upgraded to v2.x a week or so ago - but it says v2.2 only?
I must look up a patch too?
It says 2.3 on the mail I got with a link, and on the page link goes to as well.
Winx64 VST3 is what I downloaded, keeping old v1.74 as VST2.

And if I may make a feature request - I hoped for more internal midi busses on v2?

Example
I use 4 VST midi plugin, two each row - and two instruments I feed to.

row 1 column 1 - midi in from host midi out to bus A
row 1 column 2 - midi in from bus A and midi out to bus C
row 1 column 3 - midi in from bus C and midi out to an instrument
row 2 column 1 - midi in from host midi out to bus B
row 2 column 2 - midi in from bus B and midi out to bus D
row 2 column 3 - midi in from bus D and midi out to another instrument

You already used 4 internal midi busses if the 16 available in this simple config.

So if 16 available A-P could be increased to Z at least would give 10 more.

When using multiple midi plugins like this is where Patchwork really shine, I think.

Otherwise, thanks for a really cool plugin. :)

Just waiting for my Axiom download link from you guys to start using with Patchwork now!
(Wishing I would've bid on MB7 in the auction now too.)
:D

lfm wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:24 pm I upgraded to v2.x a week or so ago - but it says v2.2 only?
There is indeed a mistake in version number for the instrument version. If you have drag and drop you are safe...
And if I may make a feature request - I hoped for more internal midi busses on v2?
Have you already reached the limit? More than 16 MIDI effects at a time is already a big number!

BBFG# wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:46 pm Just waiting for my Axiom download link from you guys to start using with Patchwork now!
I think the licenses have been sent. Check your email ;-)

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:51 am
lfm wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:24 pm I upgraded to v2.x a week or so ago - but it says v2.2 only?
There is indeed a mistake in version number for the instrument version. If you have drag and drop you are safe...
Have you already reached the limit? More than 16 MIDI effects at a time is already a big number!
Thank you - it seems drag-n-drop is there.

Not out yet - but soon not much headroom left.
Always nice with headroom - and just a request from me.
If you find it excessive - just ignore it.

If easier - let one row have an own set of midi busses, or similar - need not be global all of them. But very flexible as it is now.

A simple drag-n-drop of one out to the next, pick the next unused midi buss - would also simplify a bit configuring - if using multiple midi plugins. A rubberband opens as you drag - and when dropping a menu with which midi bus to use, or similar. Or one menu alternative could be to check "Always pick a free midi bus" or similar.

With drag-n-drop of plugins, if midi were as easy - quite a boost.
It'a quite a bit of menu-hiking as it is now configuring.

Example one row to one instrument
host in - one limit keyboard range - out bus a
in bus a - one transpose - out bus b
in bus b - one do other operation like chordsplit - out bus c
in bus c - to instrument

Everything behaved weird until I did that. There wasn't anything about midi in manual for v1.x - all for audio effect.

So do one of those for four sections double bass, cellos, violins and one to route switchkeys for articulations. You are up there 10-12 busses used. Add some channels selectors in there and you hit the ceiling.

Make brass section baryton sax, a couple of trombones, a couple of trumpets - you see where this is going.

Practical to keep one section like that each instance of Patchwork spread over 88 keys.

Just a bunch of thoughs....for the future....

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:51 am
BBFG# wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:46 pm Just waiting for my Axiom download link from you guys to start using with Patchwork now!
I think the licenses have been sent. Check your email ;-)
Got it this morning!
Thank you!

@lfm: we indeed have a couple of ideas to improve the workflow for MIDI configuration. It seems MIDI plug-ins are getting more popular these days and that's great. They used to be confidential when we first released PatchWork's MIDI routing features!

By the way just to make sure we are on the same page: the 16 internal MIDI busses are not shared among PatchWork instances, so it is 16 ports for each instance.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:28 am @lfm: we indeed have a couple of ideas to improve the workflow for MIDI configuration. It seems MIDI plug-ins are getting more popular these days and that's great. They used to be confidential when we first released PatchWork's MIDI routing features!

By the way just to make sure we are on the same page: the 16 internal MIDI busses are not shared among PatchWork instances, so it is 16 ports for each instance.
Sounds good, thank you.

I'd say workflow is more imminent need than more busses though. You were kind enough to fix gui-less plugins support, so Insert Piz midi plugins could be used - and hope for same big ears on this workflow thingy.

What Patchwork offer is such a time saver compared to what is available in daws today in patching things together. You can with track templates, but a preset in Patchwork is really smooth.

:)

lfm wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:34 am What Patchwork offer is such a time saver compared to what is available in daws today in patching things together. You can with track templates, but a preset in Patchwork is really smooth.
And it's compatible with all DAWs too :-)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”