Unfiltered Audio BYOME

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Byometrics Carmen for BYOME Unfiltered Audio BYOME

tapiodmitriyevich wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:39 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:15 pmHow long is this thing on intro for?
PA mail quote: "The intro price will be valid until October 31."
Thank you very much :tu:

Not processing the king of instruments but:
BYOME using a custom patch processing sampled oud (Falcon), combining granular processing with pitched delay, chorus/phaser, reverb FX, tweaking the available Macros on the fly. Video starts dry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXarGN6dG5g

I've read regarding some performance issues in Ableton.

Did anyone test it on MAC - Live9 combo? How was the performance?

Thank you.

I did end up changing my mind on this plugin. Decided to feed it something more experimental, and went a little off-piste.

Glad I gave it some more time :tu:

After really using this for some hours;
I can theoretically live without full host automation if it never happens, but the real estate functionality needs to be sorted out. The collapsing is great, but we need to be able to make a bigger window to avoid scrolling.
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:59 pm The collapsing is great, but we need to be able to make a bigger window to avoid scrolling.
I totally agree
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

khaosgott wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm I've read regarding some performance issues in Ableton.

Did anyone test it on MAC - Live9 combo? How was the performance?

Thank you.
I used three instances, not a hiccup.

This thing uses barely any CPU on my fully loaded 2017 MBP.
:borg:

Made an account just for this topic :o

A lot of interesting insights here, yes I did actually read the entire thing, but I am still a bit puzzled about BYOME.

I have been playing around with it for a bit but I sort off miss the "special sauce", the special appeal.

I already own Sandman Pro and absolutely love it. I have a bunch of reverb and chorus VST's and a few distortion VST's. I have a bunch of Glitchmachines VST's as well. I feel like all these things can do what BYOME does. Which is a bit.. disappointing?

I kind off get the appeal of having everything in one interface but at the same time the BYOME interface doesn't scale all that fantastic and I feel that switching between plugins isn't that big off a deal (it is hardly more work than scrolling in BYOME).

With only like a week left for the discount deal I find myself struggling. Over 50% off is very appealing just for the discount, but at the same time I wonder what it will add to my arsenal. It kind off feels like buying something like Audio Damage Grind gives me something that is more unique.

So considering there are a lot of knowledgeable people here I wonder if anyone here can educate me about what that special thing is that only BYOME can do and that makes it better than the alternatives. I hope you can educate me =D

You mention Glitchmachines, so it should become obvious! Usability. At least for me.
As for the more unique modules, I am still exploring, can't tell yet about their exclusive uniqueness.
And I was in doubt about the reverbs, but need to have a 2nd look. But was expecting the oppossite. A great sounding reverb, in a "classical reverb" kind of way.

ThaTyger wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:17 pm what that special thing is that only BYOME can do and that makes it better than the alternatives. I hope you can educate me =D
Those are just early days. It will get more features in future (soon-ish). That's the most valuable thing right now, because you get them at half a price. For most plugins, significant additions are a paid upgrade, if they ever happen, of course.

UI improvements, host automation, audio and CV routing, more modules - from the same developer, which gives you consistent quality. Think of its current state as a starting point.

ThaTyger wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:17 pm Made an account just for this topic :o

A lot of interesting insights here, yes I did actually read the entire thing, but I am still a bit puzzled about BYOME.

I have been playing around with it for a bit but I sort off miss the "special sauce", the special appeal.

I already own Sandman Pro and absolutely love it. I have a bunch of reverb and chorus VST's and a few distortion VST's. I have a bunch of Glitchmachines VST's as well. I feel like all these things can do what BYOME does. Which is a bit.. disappointing?

I kind off get the appeal of having everything in one interface but at the same time the BYOME interface doesn't scale all that fantastic and I feel that switching between plugins isn't that big off a deal (it is hardly more work than scrolling in BYOME).

With only like a week left for the discount deal I find myself struggling. Over 50% off is very appealing just for the discount, but at the same time I wonder what it will add to my arsenal. It kind off feels like buying something like Audio Damage Grind gives me something that is more unique.

So considering there are a lot of knowledgeable people here I wonder if anyone here can educate me about what that special thing is that only BYOME can do and that makes it better than the alternatives. I hope you can educate me =D
Your mileage clearly varies but FWIW..

1. The granular tools.
2. The reverbs (how many reverbs do you have that you can subject to extreme modulation without a ton of artefacts?).
3. But most of all the modulation. No plugin that I have ever used has a fraction of the modulation tools or makes it so easy to modulate the modulators, combine modulators, cross modulate etc, especially ...
4. ... the Spectral Follower - this is almost worth the price of admission alone.

This plugin is about building your own effects and in a way that is just about impossible to do with discrete effects. When you talk about 'switching between effects' that suggests to me that you are using BYOME as a means of simply chaining effects. Yes you can do that, but you can do so much more if you really experiment with the modulation (and this will take some time to really click if you don't have a lot of experience with hardware or software modulars - longer than a week :().

Please add a value readout somewhere on the interface - it can be just one spot for all the parameters. Right now it's impossible to dial in exact same values for two diff. parameters, or just slightly different - have to go back to the host, yes some have value readouts (Studio One and Fruity) but some don't, so have to open the generic UI which usually is hidden somewhere, do a search for the parameters, etc.

... and that's for your other plugins. For BYOME there are just macros which usually aren't mapped. So there!

Thanks!

^
The sound quality difference of the algos between this and Glitchmachines is very audible IMO
Amazon: why not use an alternative

lnikj wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 am This plugin is about building your own effects and in a way that is just about impossible to do with discrete effects. When you talk about 'switching between effects' that suggests to me that you are using BYOME as a means of simply chaining effects. Yes you can do that, but you can do so much more if you really experiment with the modulation
I'm confused by this. BYOME's audio path is several effects blocks in series, right? And those effects only have modulation inputs, not outputs, right? Then any BYOME patch could be replaced with a series of BYOME patches, each containing a single effect block and the relevant set of modulators. And some of those instances might be replaced by other plugins with comparably rich modulation systems (e.g. Sandman Pro, Quadrant, ...)

What am I missing? Where is the "just about impossible" and the "so much more"?

Return to “Effects”