Get our Ultimate Producers Desktop Wallpaper for free!

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would on the other hand quite encourage you to make posts/create threads where you seek to actually sort those problems for those members as you perceive it to be.

Here's actual advice: calling a certain octave "Mud" and "Fullness" at the same time is not very clear; and particularly, outside of all context as that is I would think leaving it alone is the better idea. I mean it's like there is this 'conventional wisdom says' approach tailored as though for people that have no idea of their own what it is. Which is pervasive. Pervasive enough to where one might wonder that you think they're not very on the ball. And as you portray them I would suspect you're right.

I'm a real honest mood today.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

timnoric wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:37 am Ok Im going to jump in and wear the heat for a bit. I was the one who put the wallpaper together. I used to teach electronic music to dozens of DJs, many who went on to do pretty well in NZ and Australia. The reason why I put that hand in there was because you would be amazed how many people write 2 bass lines, 3 melodies, and 4 layers of harmonics and progressions and wonder why they are struggling to get their song to sound cohesive. The point, which i guess I failed to get across, is that you really only need 1 solid idea for each to make a decent hit. In most cases anyway. Same with the song structure. A lot of people have no idea about the basics of verses vs chorus etc. I thought it might be handy to see some examples. Good songs are simple!

And colors. Yeah i hear you. The cyan/pink is currently a company color thing. But thats why i included the .png transparency so people can make their own color schemes.

Yeah not sure how well this campaign has gone haha. Bit divisive!
I don't have a problem with the color schemes (though the bright blue might be a bit tiring on the eyes after a while), and I can't read the content from what's posted here, but if you're offering these wallpapers only for newer MacBooks and Mac desktops, you probably will tick off a few people. Not seriously of course, even though you're effectively saying that users of older Macs and all Windows machines need not apply for the wallpaper. And in the true spirit of KVR, those people might have something to say about it. :wink:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Mac only? Which ones? What's the actual difference? Here on the 13.3" MBP full size is 1280 by 800.

I would have thought desktop sizes were standard. Wait, I know it is, I downloaded desktop images before in my life.

I like the color schemes, I just find the content just this side of preposterous.
Bit divisive!
No, the division already exists here; here's a glimpse...
Song structure examples to help you turn that loop into a full track.
Chord matching chart so you can see what keys and chords are musically harmonic.
This just keeps people stupid.

Props for keeping your sense of humor in this.

jancivil wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:44 am Mac only? Which ones? What's the actual difference? Here on the 13.3" MBP full size is 1280 by 800.

I would have thought desktop sizes were standard. Wait, I know it is, I downloaded desktop images before in my life.
Desktop sizes aren't standard, even among Macs. According to Apple, the 15" Retina display MacBook Pro models have a 15.4" screen size with 2880x1800 native resolution; 13" Retina display MacBook Pro models have a 13.3" screen size with 2560x1600 native resolution (though they can go lower). The 21" iMac has a 4K display, while the 27" iMac has a 5K display. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202471)

Since the OP only mentioned "4K" and "MacBook" specifically, I assume those are what he meant by "common laptop resolution". Windows-based laptops have some fairly common resolutions, but they all depend upon the screen size, just like the Macs.

Macs and Windows machines will stretch or shrink a wallpaper to fit a screen, but you may not like the results, especially if the computer doesn't maintain the original aspect ratio. And text (and images) made to look good on a 13" MacBook screen would look ridiculously large on a 21"/4K display. Conversely, text and images made to look good on large, high-res displays would be difficult to read on smaller screens or at lower resolutions. I would assume they took this into consideration when designing the wallpaper, but I haven't signed up for it, so I don't know how it actually looks.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I was just going on the default res of my MacBook. Im my experience, most people are using either a monitor, so standard HD/4K, and maybe it's just NZ but most DJs and producers here seem to have Macbooks. Figured if they have scaled their resolution, the default size would still fit.

Hey. Maybe we'll do a wallpaper 2.0 and take on these suggestions :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timnoric wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:37 am The reason why I put that hand in there was because you would be amazed how many people write 2 bass lines, 3 melodies,
Well, if you teach them to distinguish between lead and vocals, it is no wonder if they think they need more than one melody. However, to me, it is great; I love polyphony and talking about it even more, so thanks for the opportunity :tu:

timnoric wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 am I was just going on the default res of my MacBook. Im my experience, most people are using either a monitor, so standard HD/4K, and maybe it's just NZ but most DJs and producers here seem to have Macbooks. Figured if they have scaled their resolution, the default size would still fit.

Hey. Maybe we'll do a wallpaper 2.0 and take on these suggestions :p
Well, "Scaled" (as you're using in your example) isn't the same as the default size, and if you're only catering to "DJs and producers" who use scaled resolutions on their MacBooks in New Zealand, then you're still going to miss 70-80% of real musicians.

But that's fine; those of us who aren't "ultimate producers" will have to make do with our David Hasslehoff wallpaper.

download.jpg

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jokes aside, I think you should open a thread and ask people what they would like to see in a music chart. Where this one fails in terms of music theory are already covered here to some extend. Methaphors are not technical concepts and no need to distinguish lead from vocals just to make it fit with a hand. This is cheese and useless by default.

mjudge55 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:14 am I’d love to have notes to hz conversions and bpm/note value to ms conversions in a wallpaper.
http://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

Help yourself, printscreen or ctrl+p and print it to your wall ;)

timnoric wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:37 am I was the one who put the wallpaper together. I used to teach electronic music to dozens of DJs,
:hihi:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

planetearth wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:02 am But that's fine; those of us who aren't "ultimate producers" will have to make do with our David Hasslehoff wallpaper.
Or Urs riding with a chariot pulled by cats :tu:

it takes about the same time to minimise my music application to view a wallpaper as it does to just click on the Scal icon.

Is there a 'passed out guy' wallpaper?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:22 am Is there a 'passed out guy' wallpaper?
In the bush

^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “Music Theory”