Reason 10.2 is out!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

4K/5K screens make these debates a little difficult because neither Windows or macOS typically run at true native resolution. They use different degrees of scaling. In macOS the default effective resolution is exactly 50% of native which means true retina assets run at 1/4 the total pixels. This tends to yield the sharpest results since it's scaling at a perfectly even division. It looks great and razor sharp, but for me and my less than perfect eyesight I still find most programs to be a little too small for comfort (not just Reason). I usually bump down the resolution a notch to make everything a little larger. I do sacrifice some sharpness, but text at least remains quite clear. It's more about PPI vs physical screen size and viewing distance for me than anything else. I find 110-115 PPI (not the physical dots per inch) to be just about right for how far I typically sit from my displays and when the Reason rack feels most comfortable.

On sep 22 2017 propellerhead announced Reason 10 .
Is going to be Reason 11?

Amram wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:13 am On sep 22 2017 propellerhead announced Reason 10 .
Yes, there will be a Reason 11. No, it likely won’t be this year. They’re releasing a performance fix for VST’s later this year, and that will likely be another 10.x update.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:30 am
Amram wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:13 am On sep 22 2017 propellerhead announced Reason 10 .
Yes, there will be a Reason 11. No, it likely won’t be this year. They’re releasing a performance fix for VST’s later this year, and that will likely be another 10.x update.
We've actually officially announced on our blog that we won't release a paid upgrade in 2018 after the feedback we got from users about 9.5 and 10 being very close to each other. :party:

Anosou wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:47 am
We've actually officially announced on our blog that we won't release a paid upgrade in 2018 after the feedback we got from users about 9.5 and 10 being very close to each other. :party:
See, this is the kind of junk we're talking about, are we really going to do this again, the fake marketing??

I don't know a single person who would balk at a 'meaningful' paid upgrade - every person here would buy it a month after, if it was a solid upgrade. The problem with 10 was it was two devices and 3 crippled addons marketed to death as the "Biggest Upgrade Ever!".

The best thing to come out of 10 was you guys actually started listening to your base. Don't pretend we don't want meaningful paid upgrades immediately- we all do and we don't give a crap how 'soon' it comes out. Sooner the better as long as it addresses some of the pressing issues that have sat on your feedback board for many years -- time isn't a factor for us, but certainly is for you.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:10 pm
Anosou wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:47 am
See, this is the kind of junk we're talking about, are we really going to do this again, the fake marketing??

I don't know a single person who would balk at a 'meaningful' paid upgrade - every person here would buy it a month after, if it was a solid upgrade. The problem with 10 was it was two devices and 3 crippled addons marketed to death as the "Biggest Upgrade Ever!".

The best thing to come out of 10 was you guys actually started listening to your base. Don't pretend we don't want meaningful paid upgrades immediately- we all do and we don't give a crap how 'soon' it comes out. Sooner the better as long as it addresses some of the pressing issues that have sat on your feedback board for many years -- time isn't a factor for us, but certainly is for you.
Jesus - what a way to put a negative spin on a post that had honorable intentions. :o How is this post junk? The OP simply asked if there would be an 11; Anosou (a Prop) simply confirmed my response to the OP by validating what Props themselves stated: there would be no paid upgrade until after the VST-performance fix appears (implied).

How is this "fake marketing"? :roll: Because he said they listened to the feedback they got? You've got some real animosity towards stuff. Sad.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:35 pmHow is this "fake marketing"? :roll: Because he said they listened to the feedback they got? You've got some real animosity towards stuff. Sad.
I think he means that he'd gladly pay for another update even this year if it was really meaningful, unlike the v10 which - in his mind - added only 3 sample-players.

The blog post that Matthias was referring to was really weird, as if we were to expect paid update every year (regardless of what's in the update) and this year was special and an exception to the rule. And that's something I personally would have issue with, because I don't mind paying even regularly, if I get my money's worth (e.g. Bitwig's model).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Let me ask you Enoch... pretty simple question:

Do you believe Propellerhead decided they won't release a paid upgrade in 2018 after they received mass feedback they got from users about 9.5 and 10 being very close to each other?

That statement is borderline insulting to their users. Do YOU know anyone who wrote to Props or made a huge forum post with multiple users stating "Please don't release 11 this year, 10 was too close to 9.5.?

I think most of us WANT a meaningful update asap because 10 didn't cut it, if anything.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:10 pm every person here would buy it a month after, if it was a solid upgrade. Don't pretend we don't want meaningful paid upgrades immediately- we all do and we don't give a crap how 'soon' it comes out. time isn't a factor for us, but certainly is for you.
Wrong. I never like to see a paid upgrade for software in less than 18 mos. If I notice that a company withholds highly sought-after features for paid upgrades I'm less likely to support them in the long-term... but when I see a dev release those features on point releases I have more desire to support them even if the eventual paid upgrade is not as sexy (e.g. Reaper). It's a matter of good will on both sides.

lachrimae wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:04 pm
Psuper wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:10 pm every person here would buy it a month after, if it was a solid upgrade. Don't pretend we don't want meaningful paid upgrades immediately- we all do and we don't give a crap how 'soon' it comes out. time isn't a factor for us, but certainly is for you.
Wrong. I never like to see a paid upgrade for software in less than 18 mos. If I notice that a company withholds highly sought-after features for paid upgrades I'm less likely to support them in the long-term... but when I see a dev release those features on point releases I have more desire to support them even if the eventual paid upgrade is not as sexy (e.g. Reaper). It's a matter of good will on both sides.
Ya sure, because quality can only be determined by the length of time between upgrades, 18 months specifically. You are a minority.
Have you tried Vital?

antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:58 pm
EnochLight wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:35 pmHow is this "fake marketing"? :roll: Because he said they listened to the feedback they got? You've got some real animosity towards stuff. Sad.
I think he means that he'd gladly pay for another update even this year if it was really meaningful, unlike the v10 which - in his mind - added only 3 sample-players.

The blog post that Matthias was referring to was really weird, as if we were to expect paid update every year (regardless of what's in the update) and this year was special and an exception to the rule. And that's something I personally would have issue with, because I don't mind paying even regularly, if I get my money's worth (e.g. Bitwig's model).
When that blog post appeared, there was already buzz in the forums and various social networking channels that a VST-performance fix was in the works, and in those threads a good amount of users expressed concern that they would have to pay for the fix (in a major version release).

That blog post was just doing damage control, and officially confirming that a fix was in the works. I didn't think it was weird, but maybe that's because I was part of the early buzz when people were expressing concern? Beats me.
Psuper wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:59 pm Let me ask you Enoch... pretty simple question:

Do you believe Propellerhead decided they won't release a paid upgrade in 2018 after they received mass feedback they got from users about 9.5 and 10 being very close to each other?

That statement is borderline insulting to their users. Do YOU know anyone who wrote to Props or made a huge forum post with multiple users stating "Please don't release 11 this year, 10 was too close to 9.5.?

I think most of us WANT a meaningful update asap because 10 didn't cut it, if anything.
Before you left RT, I can remember threads where people bitched a ton about 10 being so close to 9.5 - and that wasn't even taking into consideration the flack given for what was included in 10 at launch. I remember you being part of some of those threads, so you acting like that wasn't the case is troubling. But perception can be different from other people's points of view (hence our discussion earlier on 4K support), so maybe you didn't pick up on it.

I did.

So it makes complete sense to me that Props would say that there won't be a paid update in 2018, especially seeing as how the VST-performance fix is the crux of the upcoming update. So yes - from my perspective, they listened to the feedback, and are acting accordingly.

Why do you ask?

EnochLight wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:16 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:58 pm

When that blog post appeared, there was already buzz in the forums and various social networking channels that a VST-performance fix was in the works, and in those threads a good amount of users expressed concern that they would have to pay for the fix (in a major version release).

That blog post was just doing damage control, and officially confirming that a fix was in the works. I didn't think it was weird, but maybe that's because I was part of the early buzz when people were expressing concern? Beats me.
Psuper wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:59 pm Let me ask you Enoch... pretty simple question:

Before you left RT, I can remember threads where people bitched a ton about 10 being so close to 9.5 - and that wasn't even taking into consideration the flack given for what was included in 10 at launch. I remember you being part of some of those threads, so you acting like that wasn't the case is troubling. But perception can be different from other people's points of view (hence our discussion earlier on 4K support), so maybe you didn't pick up on it.

I did.

So it makes complete sense to me that Props would say that there won't be a paid update in 2018, especially seeing as how the VST-performance fix is the crux of the upcoming update. So yes - from my perspective, they listened to the feedback, and are acting accordingly.

Why do you ask?
What threads? RT is still around and nothing had been deleted -- link them.

Specifically point out to me the masses who "bitched" about 10 being so close to 9. 5. Talked about sure, but I don't recall anyone going "Oh nooo please don't make meaningful releases as soon as you are able to."
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 pm What threads? RT is still around and nothing had been deleted -- link them.

Specifically point out to me the masses who "bitched" about 10 being so close to 9. 5. Talked about sure, but I don't recall anyone going "Oh nooo please don't make meaningful releases as soon as you are able to."
To what end? Judging from our "need for proper 4K support" discussion earlier, there is nothing to be gained.

EnochLight wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:51 pm
Psuper wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 pm What threads? RT is still around and nothing had been deleted -- link them.

To what end? Judging from our "need for proper 4K support" discussion earlier, there is nothing to be gained.
The "end" would be validity for your statement, validity for Props response to you, and prove my reaction to Propellerhead invalid - which was your goal or you wouldn't have come at me.

You lashed out at me because I made a valid observation. you then backed it up with:
EnochLight wrote: I can remember threads where people bitched a ton about 10 being so close to 9.5 - and that wasn't even taking into consideration the flack given for what was included in 10 at launch. I remember you being part of some of those threads, so you acting like that wasn't the case is troubling.
Which we both know is not true.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:01 pm
EnochLight wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:51 pm

The "end" would be validity for your statement and prove my initial response to Propellerhead invalid.

You lashed out at me for a valid observation. you then backed it up with:
EnochLight wrote: I can remember threads where people bitched a ton about 10 being so close to 9.5 - and that wasn't even taking into consideration the flack given for what was included in 10 at launch. I remember you being part of some of those threads, so you acting like that wasn't the case is troubling.
Which we both know is not true.
It's no less true than the need for proper 4K support in Reason, really. :party:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”