How to increase your success of your VST or Plugin Effect

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:17 am
noise_2015 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:07 am
Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:22 pm Marketing guys as far as I understand often forget about competition. When everyone does the same thing, you end up where you all started. Diversity is the key to success, there's no single "take it to the bank" way to succeed on the market.
Please fire any Marketing Company or person who doesn't research the crap out of the competition and the market before starting
...and you said you've actually got no experience within the plugin industry, is that right?
Clients in the B2B IT industry and B2C ecommerce, but not directly the music industry.

Just my own humble opinion on this.

These days if I'm checking out new plugins or hear about a new one, I'll often hit YouTube to either look for presentations of the plugin from the company or videos of users actually using it. I've often hunted out plugins after seeing a pro making use of them and recommending them. If it's looking good I'll hit the next level which is checking out the plugin thoroughly on the home site and seeing if I can download a demo version to try out.

I'm not sitting here with a conveyor belt of compressors, synths or other effects dismissing each one as it comes by on a whim. Plugins are not pick 'n' mix attention span things such as mobile games.

Everyone's looking for that extra something that's going to elevate their results with other benefits such as saving time / appealing to workflow. Look at companies like Plugin Alliance and Acustica Audio. Big appeals to studio brand name hardware that has legendary reputions. They spend a lot of effort making their plugins look like hardware units, a grand illusion because in reality of course it's screen space sliders and rotary knobs altering values in a bunch of DSP code. I use Reaper which has a mode where you can see the raw sliders for the plugin instead of the graphic UI. It's always a sobering experience doing this.

But it's sending signals to the brains of the target market. Pure marketing in execution. It's a hoodwink creating a thing of reference desire.

The look of a plugin *is* a huge part of the marketing for a plugin. But word of mouth and peer approval/popularity is huge too. Look at Sean Costello's Valhalla plugins. He went for a very simple, clean UI style but his plugin's became successful on quality, word of mouth and then price. Sean built up a lot of professional credibility.

If a plugin looks like crap it *will* put people off trying it or downloading a demo unless the word of mouth is exceptional. And placebo effect in this industry is rife. Place the exact same DSP in front of a person. One with simple plain sliders (essentially no UI) and one with a branded hardware looking smart interface and guess which one most people will pick as sounding better? Until you perform a blind test that is.

The most successful players in this industry have video as a major part of their marketing. By and large this is how new generations are consuming information. They also have testimonials and endorsements, again, often in the form of video.

If you ignore this, I'd wager you are losing sales.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”