UVI Plate

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Plate

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:11 pm ...Wheres the Elton John emoji when you need it
Was $4,500.00USD second hand recently.
Cant remember where.

I was having some issues with my internet connection (sometimes it doesn't want to work for whatever reason..) so I ran a scan with Malwarebytes (after updating it) and all 5 of the threats it came up with in the list were related to UVI Plate.

There were no other threats found. I am guessing these are false positives, but normally Malwarebytes is a solid anti-malware app. It labels each with the threat type of "Malware" and with the name "Trojan.Agent".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sometimes some AV don't like UVI product because of PACE protection.
Those unfortunately needs to be flagged by users so that many valid report are sent...
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Plate 1.0.2 is online

- Fix display issue in Mono > Stereo configuration
- Fix VST crash when unloading plugin in Renoise
- Allow SSE backend on older CPUs that don't have SSE4.2
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

I assume that the "original" sound of the EMT 140 is best represented with the presets from the "01-Classics" bank in UVI Plate.

I notice that UVI Plate sounds much brighter than any Plates emulation I have (impulse responses of the EMT 140 coming from three different sources and Soundtoys Little Plate)
I find that the basis sound of all these emulations is clearly very much darker.
Trying to tweak the sound in UVI Plate I am also not able to get this kind of dark sound.

Were EMT 140 really so bright?
Or were hardware EMT 140 so different one frone from another?

PS I am aware that the terms "bright" and "dark" are possibly vague but I hope it is nevertherless understandable.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

A little impro on my Strumstick straight into UVI Plate.

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... hort-impro

teacue wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:46 pm I assume that the "original" sound of the EMT 140 is best represented with the presets from the "01-Classics" bank in UVI Plate.

I notice that UVI Plate sounds much brighter than any Plates emulation I have (impulse responses of the EMT 140 coming from three different sources and Soundtoys Little Plate)
I find that the basis sound of all these emulations is clearly very much darker.
Trying to tweak the sound in UVI Plate I am also not able to get this kind of dark sound.

PS I am aware that the terms "bright" and "dark" are possibly vague but I hope it is nevertherless understandable.
This is a pertinent and interesting question I think! A possible answer may come from considering what you are listening to in plugins such as UVI Plate and PA1 Dynamic Plate Reverb. These are mechanical models, in the sense that they simulate the mechanical vibrations of the plate. And what you are listening to is those vibrations. Having measured EMT140s in the past using accelerometers attached to the plates, I can assure you that these models are pretty realistic when it comes to simulating that ... What these models are lacking, is a proper simulation of the circuits of the transducers of the plate. Typically, this instrumentation introduces lowpass filtering effects, hence their "darker" tone. I cannot comment more specifically in regard to LittlePlate but, if it was built from measured IRs, it is totally possible that the lowpass filtering of the measuring devices introduced a "darker" tone in the resulting simulation ... My two cents.

@cjwseven7
Thanks a lot for your answer.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

otristan wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:18 pm Sometimes some AV don't like UVI product because of PACE protection.
Those unfortunately needs to be flagged by users so that many valid report are sent...
Ok thanks. The only thing is that I have many other iLok protected synths and a few effects, and haven’t seen Malwarebytes showing them as being some type of threat.

I will just report them as safe if it happens again. :)

teacue wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:46 pm I assume that the "original" sound of the EMT 140 is best represented with the presets from the "01-Classics" bank in UVI Plate.

There are two reasons for that, both of which are related to choices made during the beta test according to user feedback:

First, to make Plate more versatile and easy to work with in all conditions (like an infinite tail for example), it was decided that it was important to have some kind of reverb level normalisation according to the decay time (which the EMT cannot do).
The byproduct is that since longer modes contribute more energy, the normalisation tends to compensate, it makes the full decay range easier to work with, but also makes the long reverbs brighter.

Second, on the EMT the transducers have a finite extent which introduces a spatial lowpass filtering effect (like a spatial blur). We do have a model for this, but for similar reasons, the brighter ideal point source model was favoured against the finite one as the default choice in v1.0.

Both of these are internal options that are enabled by default in v1.0.
Our plan is to export these (and some others) in a future update to let users fine-tune the sound according to their taste and use cases.

otristan wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:41 pm Plate 1.0.2 is online

- Allow SSE backend on older CPUs that don't have SSE4.2
Massive improvement on that department.

MASSIVE. :tu:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

mdsp wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:40 am

There are two reasons for that, both of which are related to choices made during the beta test according to user feedback:

First, to make Plate more versatile and easy to work with in all conditions (like an infinite tail for example), it was decided that it was important to have some kind of reverb level normalisation according to the decay time (which the EMT cannot do).
The byproduct is that since longer modes contribute more energy, the normalisation tends to compensate, it makes the full decay range easier to work with, but also makes the long reverbs brighter.

Second, on the EMT the transducers have a finite extent which introduces a spatial lowpass filtering effect (like a spatial blur). We do have a model for this, but for similar reasons, the brighter ideal point source model was favoured against the finite one as the default choice in v1.0.

Both of these are internal options that are enabled by default in v1.0.
Our plan is to export these (and some others) in a future update to let users fine-tune the sound according to their taste and use cases.
@ mdsp
Thanks for your precise explanations.
Your answer as well as cjwseven7 answer are both really very interesting.
I am glad that my ears did not fool me.

I find Plate a great plugin with a lot of very usefull control options but I must say that because of this "Basic brightness" I am hearing and that you describe as a choice for the v1.0 it is for me at the moment not different enough from some of my non-plate-reverbs.
This is exactly because of this particular darker sound of the plates IR I have that I sometimes choose them over other reverbs.

I would really love to hear an 100% wet sample of Plate with this "spatial lowpass filtering effect" you mention and compare it to some darker IR.
Any chance for such a sample?
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

jens wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 pm Just for the record: UVI Plate is a lot more expensive than PA1.

Even this you could not get right. :dog: :lol:
Anyone dares to comment about the sound of Plate vs PA1? And yes I've been blown away too by the samples. I already have Waves Abbey Road Plates - which sounds amazing - but UVI Plate seems to be more versatile. I did some quick tests last night with the demo on a snare, did not have much expectations and it was instantly one of the best reverbs I heard.

you nailed it guys, 1.0.2 now works great on my oldish cpu, thank you!

Just downloaded demo again but it's still 1.01

Return to “Effects”