Will VST3 be enforced and make my abandonware useless?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am currently using a few VST plugs which are barely supported and may end up abandonware at some point. Don't meant to insult the devs (I really love these plugs actually..some of the best) but I am not sure if they will get updated ever. Will the possible enforcement of VST3, will that be the cutoff point here? Thanks,

Who do you think is enforcing VST3?

I don't know I believe to have read that Steinberg would eventually? I guess is what I am asking is will my VST2 plugs ever be obsolete and unplayable in an up to date DAW..

VST2 at this point is way too established to be abandoned by any major DAW, so no worries.

That is exactly what I think, many of my best software synths and effects are VSTs (no 2 or 3) and despite to have mayor updates they haven't yet implemented the VST3 scheme still. all mayor daws with right judgment should support VSTs without interference of any nonsense and unnecessary law in many cases. Why would they even stop supporting it? about the 32-bit soft I can understand, but a full functional 64-bit VST should be supported for a very long time. If I'm wrong someone explain...

one thing is for sure: the moment a new version of my main daw can't read vst 2.4 anymore, I'm either getting a new daw, or freezing it at the previous version, depending on the options.

thejonsolo wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 am Who do you think is enforcing VST3?
This. Soros? Reptillians?
In VST world everyone runs their own business and develops what he can / what sells on the market.

Cetainly Ableton supports VST 2 but not 3 and they are not going to change it overninght.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

yul wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:09 am I don't know I believe to have read that Steinberg would eventually? I guess is what I am asking is will my VST2 plugs ever be obsolete and unplayable in an up to date DAW..
Nope. Not in the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure that I follow. If they are already abandonware, and you already have them, then they won't be updated anyway and you have them to use for as long as VST2 is supported. I find it very unlikely that any of the major DAW manufacturers failed to sign their VST2 license with Steinberg.

What you should be concerned about is products that are being actively updated currently from small devs who failed to secure a VST2 license. For those devs, they may find themselves in the position that they can no longer update or even distribute their plugins.

I'm willing to be money though that there is some enterprising dev with a license who will start some sort of plugin collective that small devs can umbrella under.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:54 am and you have them to use for as long as VST2 is supported.
Exactly my question here...how long would that be? It does look like there are chances VST2 might not be supported?

Thanks all for your answers!

as of right now vst2 isnt going anywhere, its not even close to almost being ready to go somewhere. i mean, a lot of plugins arent even available in vst3. personally...even if they are i dont install vst3. i dont see the point and all it does is clutter up my drive and my plugins list.

not to mention that theres no real advantage, and there are some disadvantages, such as you cant install them where you want (a big negative for me).
ImageImageImage

Seems obvious to me that all the suspicion one may have about VST2's long term future should be cast on VST3's long term future too, as it is the same company (Steinberg) with the same practices, zero reason to assume the best for VST3.

And as people say, VST3 is already 10+ years old, and it was not as successful as VST2 (not even close), so it will last LESS, not more...

Anyhow, I would not start worrying about VST2 until well after Steinberg removes VST2 from their own DAWs (Cubase, Nuendo), if they ever dare doing that.

Good stuff!! Thanks a lot guys!!

Anyway if DAWs would not support it anymore, somebody will probably create a vst3 wrapper that can host vst2s like what is happening with 32bit and 64bit.

This is what SB is doing.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeve ... -4906.html

However I don't think they are nuts enough to drop Cubendo from being able to use vst2 plugins in the near future. And I dont' imagine other DAW makers will even less so.
I think SB is trying to 'encourage' developers to more support vst3, but I sure hope they won't go as far as to stop their DAWs (which I use) to stop being able to use vst2 plugins.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”