Videos Relating To The DC18

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aarrghh, the VST plugin version of Bidule won't work without a license.

The Bidule standalone version does work but will expire in January 2019. The preset randomizer in Bidule is great. It's the best one I have come across, so far. Rcrath, thanks very very much for making me aware of the preset randomizer in Bidule. Super-useful stuff.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

I am not happy with how the sound of my video ended up.
The sound of the video on my computer is not the same as the one on YouTube.
During the upload of the video, I did get a message from YouTube.
Something about YouTube taking longer to "optimize the sound quality".
Maybe YouTube wasn't able to "optimize the sound quality". Maybe it wrecked it.
The sound of the video is "clipping", especially at the beginning of the video.

I was going to delete the video and replace it with another version that doesn't "clip".
But according to "internal" YouTube information... five people have already seen the video.
So, I'm just going to keep the "clipping" video.

The video consists of three parts:

First part, I'm auditioning MPS's built-in presets.
Second part, I'm auditioning random presets generated by a freeware named "VST Preset Generator".
Last part, I'm adjusting MPS's controls randomly.

"VST Preset Generator" is a standalone software and not a VST plugin.
And so I couldn't audition the presets "on the fly".
I think the preset randomizers in Xlutop Chainer and Plogue Bidule are better.
The preset randomizers in those two software does let you hear the presets "live" or "on the fly".

Anyways, MPS is easy to use and it's not a CPU hog and it has 32 presets and it doesn't crash.
And it's capable of making a wide range of great sounds. In other words MPS is pretty damn good.
To me at least. Makes me want to download the rest of Full Bucket's newer and updated VST plugins.

https://youtu.be/75m6XAQV7ZE

I like Inspire CC a lot. It seems like something I could use for my music-making.
I would love Inspire CC if not for two main problems. On my computer, it's a CPU hog and changing presets in Inspire CC crashes itself.

But I could still make music with a single instance of Inspire CC.
And I could still audition presets. I just have to keep clicking my DAW's pause button.

Anyways, ten minutes is not enough time for me to test Inspire CC.
I only had time to audition some of Inspire CC's presets.

Inspire CC has so many controls to tweak and so my guess is that it would be a fun challenge to preset makers.

Part of my testing time was used up by the pausing and restarting of my test tune.
On my computer, Inspire CC will crash if I change presets without first clicking my DAW's pause button.

https://youtu.be/P41nmiBybSQ

Also, the CPU usage for three instances of Inspire CC is problematic on my computer.
My uploaded video is actually my second testing of Inspire CC.
My first test failed because I did use three instances of Inspire CC and it was a no go.

I provided a GIF picture that explains the reason for that "no go".
Tracks 1,2,3 are Inspire CC tracks.
Track 4 is not an Inspire CC track. It's a drum track.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this first of two videos, I used a piece of music from a song by the band Aerosmith. It's called Dream On.

Anyways, I didn't use my main DAW (REAPER 0.999) to play the video's audio because it wasn't able to import saved presets. I'm not sure if REAPER 0.999 or StrainwaveSCA2018 is the problem (or both).

And so, I used MiniHost by Tobybear because it did allow importing of saved presets.

I couldn't find StrainwaveSCA2018S's volume knob (does it even exist?) and so I used Audacity's Normalize function as a way to increase volume level when editing my video screen capture's audio file later.

The Dream On musical snippet that I used is multi-voice music (as opposed to single-voice melody) and so some of the randomly generated presets that I saved was able to make use of StrainwaveSCA2018's arpeggiator. But the arpeggiator seem to be useless if the melody is single-voice.

https://youtu.be/6X1bk09Yq3A

On the second video below, I used the Bidule DAW (is it a DAW?). I used Jeskola Buzz before and it seems to me that Bidule and Buzz have lots of similarities and so I didn't find using Bidule too complex, for the purpose at hand at least.

I used a single-voice melody and so a lot of StrainwaveSCA2018's presets that use arpeggiation are not arpeggiating the melody. I guess the StrainwaveSCA2018 arpeggiator is designed for multi-voice music. That is why the "Circus" presets doesn't sound circussy anymore, for example.

Although I did use Audacity's Normalize function on the whole tune, I couldn't use that function on the melody track alone because my video capture software does not record each track separately. So I couldn't use Audacity's normalize function on the melody track without also normalizing the bass track, the drum track, and the chord track... all at the same time. Volume normalization of a tune is not the same as volume normalization of a track.

So yes, Some of StrainwaveSCA2018's melody presets are too quiet and some are too loud and because I couldn't find a way around that problem (StrainwaveSCA2018 has no volume knob(?) and I couldn't normalize the volume level), then the melody track is the way it is... unedited volume-wise.

https://youtu.be/T72Nfzgbtss

I think I was misusing The Haunted Toy in this video. It's a sound effect plugin but I wanted it to be a melodic instrument. Also, I have no idea what the "cat" control is supposed to do (add hiss maybe but I only got silence).

Also, The Haunted Toy seems to be the first VST plugin I have come across that doesn't have parameters that preset randomizers can randomize. That's okay because there are not that many controls to fiddle with.

I suppose some songwriters can find a way to incorporate the sounds of The Haunted Toy into their songs but maybe instrumental composers can probably make use of it more.

Oh wait, The Cure has a song called Love Cats and it does use some sound effects (milk bottles tipping over, for one).
The Doors too used rain and thunder sound effects in their song Riders On The Storm.
On second thought, maybe more than a few songwriters do use sound effects in their songs.

https://youtu.be/ImgdDwVbGOo

Six Minutes with
ProFET by Ignite Amps

https://youtu.be/aLZsY7F1YYI
my experimental improv duo, rreplay.
more of my music
occasional experimental sound blog all things vst, guitar synth, and more.
The Digital Guitarist.

Okay so, I am using Cubase LE 5 for the first time (to make a video).
About 5 years ago, I saved up to buy the Zoom R16 multi-tack recorder hardware.
It was bundled with Cubase LE 5 and it had a 30-day trial.

For a long time, I didn't know that registering Cubase LE 5 would
get rid of the 30-day trial and I could use it forever.

Later on, when my computer needed reformatting, I installed Cubase LE 5
too AND registered it. I've had several hard disk re-formattings since then.
I'm not blaming Cubase LE 5 as the reason for reformatting my disk drive.
Lots of other reasons for reformatting disk drive. BSOD, wonky mouse, etc.

But I still had tons of problem with Cubase LE 5... like it would lose sound
if I run my demo video screen capture software along side it.

But recently, I figured out how to make it work with my demo video screen capture software.
I hope I remember how I did make it work next time I need to make a video with Cubase LE 5.

Anyways, The ambiguous Guitar Duo soundware needs Plogue's Sforzando VST plugin to work.
I am starting to like products made by Plogue.
I might actually buy Bidule too on the same day that I buy REAPER 6.0.
But maybe no. I read that REAPER has scripts that can do pretty much anything.
And that includes preset randomizer scripts that might rival the one that Bidule has.

Back on topic, I'm pretty happy with the sounds of The ambiguous Guitar Duo.
It does well what it is suppose to do and it does fit its name.
I wonder if its name was inspired by the SNL Robert Smigel cartoon.
I recently found out that Robert Smigel is also Triumph The Insult Comic Dog. Hahaha.

https://youtu.be/aw_Z3Ai2L50

In this video, for the most part, I am truly blindly testing the EQ560 VST plugin.
By blindly I mean I am using Bidule's preset randomizer and also Bidule's capability to slightly mutate randomized presets. Randomizable parameters can also be locked.
For example, if you only want to randomize one of EQ560's 10-bands then you can lock the other 9-bands and Bidule's preset randomizer won't randomize those other 9-bands.

Someone mentioned that there is a script (maybe more than one script, for the newer REAPERs) that works like a preset randomizer. After I buy REAPER 6.0, I am going to find out if that script(s) does a better job than Bidule's preset randomizer. If that script is not better (does it randomize presets "on the fly"?) then I think I may as well buy Bidule too.

The EQ560 VST plugin reminded me of a second-hand wah-wah pedal that I may still have (somewhere in the basement, in a packing box). The sound of the two are similar to me, especially if the wah-wah pedal is left alone (stuck at a fixed position), that is.

Anyways, to me, every entry in the DC18, not only synths, could be used in a future song. I may use the EQ560 as a pseudo wah-wah pedal.

Ain't the Developer Challenge great, this year and past years? This freeware utilizer/hoarder do declare "Yessiree, it is great". Thanks again, devs... a lot.

https://youtu.be/fjb2cfRKTzw

I learned something new yesterday. "Recalled" might be a better word. I found out how to receive the output of many "sender" tracks directly in a "receiver" track in REAPER. Yes, I created a "receiver" track and put The Seeker VST plugin there to receive the output of the Bass track, the Kick track, the Snare track, and the Hi-hat track. I once saw a video a long time ago about how to do that in REAPER but I didn't really understood it and deemed it "not useful in my case" at that time.

The Hi-hat track showed up mostly blue and to the right in The Seeker GUI. If I recall correctly, the Snare track showed up mostly green and the Kick track showed up mostly orange and to the left side in The Seeker GUI. The Bass track showed up mostly orange as well.

And so, if I lower the receive volume of all the tracks all the way down to zero, except for the Hi-hat track, then only the Hi-hat track would show up in The Seeker GUI. But If all the tracks have greater than zero volume level then all the tracks's output would show up in The Seeker GUI. well, doh, some might say. But hey, really... I didn't know that was doable because I don't know REAPER's entire capabilities (routing capabilities, for one example).

Speaking of GUI, I love the fact that The Seeker's GUI is adjustable in my chosen "for YouTube" video screen resolution of 1280 x 720. It would be nice if all VST plugin's GUI are adjustable like that.

Anyways, about my new-found knowledge, some people may say "So what? Big deal.Everybody knew that. What are you? A noob?" But it is a big deal to me because when it comes to REAPER's capabilities I am a noob. And when it comes to The Seeker, I'm like "Wowie, that's pretty goldarn useful." I think I may end up using The Seeker in all my DAW projects from now on. It seems like a very very very useful tool. Thanks very much for its existence and for it being freeware.

PS, later on I thought "Hey, wouldn't it be nice if there is an option in The Seeker to assign single-color to each track's or channel's output?" For example, I might like to have the Snare track's output to be all white, and the Kick track's output to be all purple. As it is, the tracks's output colors are not singular, meaning that, for example, the Snare track's output (in my video) are showing up multi-color (range of green to blue). On second thought, maybe assigning single color to each channel's or track's output is not possible because each track's VST instruments might sometimes share overlapping spectrum frequencies.

https://youtu.be/YhIirFqVZas

This VST plugin is great. It does its sound shaping job really well. It's easy on the CPU. It's easy to use. The small GUI is a good idea, you can have a lot of TinyQ open in your DAW all at once. I didn't encounter one single problem. I believe I will use TinyQ for all my future projects. Great job. Thanks very much for this free useful tool.

https://youtu.be/xesZit40s4U

Hello Harry!

You did great videos about the plugins - I enjoyed them a lot!
How about a video about "nix shifter" (just curious)? :hyper:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:13 pm Hello Harry!

Thanks very much. I'm glad somebody, anybody, enjoyed them. That surprised me, pleasantly. Also, it would be the first time that anybody made a request for me to make a video. I'm doubly surprised.

Yes, I think I will do a video of the nix shifter, eventually. By doing that, I might learn something new in terms of REAPER some more. Because of these video testings, I have acquired new knowledge, like REAPER routing, etc. And of course, the nix shifter may also turn out to be super-useful and I can add it to my VSTPluginsGems folder. I hope it's not a CPU hog.

But before I do the nix shifter test video, I first have to finish testing the rest of the DC18 entries. At the moment I am also very busy with expanding my scrabble word lists. I found a scrabble software named "Elise" and it can play itself, meaning Elise versus Elise. Quackle can play itself too but extracting words from Quackle games is more difficult or more hassle than in Elise.

Anyways, I hope, ultimately, that my videos (and others's videos) are giving the VST plugins exposure and the KVR Developer Challenge itself extra exposure even if my YouTube channel viewership is not so big at the moment. I think that most of my scrabble friends and opponents have stopped visiting my YouTube channel. It's possible that most of them are not interested in VST plugins anymore. Or at least not the videos I make. Or maybe it's because I've been doing more music stuff videos than scrabble stuff videos.

I did promise myself to do more music stuff than scrabble stuff. I even tried quitting scrabble for good but I can't seem to do it. My YouTube channel did start out as a scrabble channel because other scrabble players also had YouTube channels and their second passion is music-making... or was it the other way around? My channel was meant to be seen by other scrabble players. But then I discovered KVR. And I've been freeware hoarding ever since. And making videos partly because it is as a way to express appreciation of developers and of freeware.

I presume it takes a lot of time and effort to make VST plugins, much much much more so than just making hastily-made and simple videos. And the devs are just giving it away. How great is that?

Aarrghh, I've babbled again. Babble out.

Just in time. Trick or treat!

https://youtu.be/5Rt8taKCRtQ
my experimental improv duo, rreplay.
more of my music
occasional experimental sound blog all things vst, guitar synth, and more.
The Digital Guitarist.

harryupbabble wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:02 pm
enroe wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:13 pm Hello Harry!

... And making videos partly because it is as a way to express appreciation of developers and of freeware.

I presume it takes a lot of time and effort to make VST plugins, much much much more so than just making hastily-made and simple videos. And the devs are just giving it away. How great is that.
Well said! :clap:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

rcrath wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:43 am Just in time. Trick or treat!

https://youtu.be/5Rt8taKCRtQ
I'm laughing at the accent at the end there. But I shouldn't laugh because I'm not sure if I could do better.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”