Helix Native plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Helix Native

Some of us just don't like the sound of Line 6's modeling..... Helix is no different, and yes I have played lots of real guitar Rigs.

Not saying we are right, but for some of us, it just doesn't sound good. Has nothing to do with levels etc.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:55 pm Some of us just don't like the sound of Line 6's modeling..... Helix is no different, and yes I have played lots of real guitar Rigs.

Not saying we are right, but for some of us, it just doesn't sound good. Has nothing to do with levels etc.
rsp
I understand that. I'm more curious about this specific scenario. Especially since Helix isn't much at all like their previous offerings.

If the user simply can't make it work for themself AND the demos all sound bad, then I'd happily accept that they dislike it, but until then I don't think we can rule that out.

I'm certainly not a Line6 apologist (especially given that my review wasn't positive enough for them). I'm just indulging my curiousity here. I love figuring out what people dislike about various products.

Robert Randolph wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:30 pm
zvenx wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:55 pm Some of us just don't like the sound of Line 6's modeling..... Helix is no different, and yes I have played lots of real guitar Rigs.

rsp
I understand that. I'm more curious about this specific scenario. Especially since Helix isn't much at all like their previous offerings.

If the user simply can't make it work for themself AND the demos all sound bad, then I'd happily accept that they dislike it, but until then I don't think we can rule that out.

I'm certainly not a Line6 apologist (especially given that my review wasn't positive enough for them). I'm just indulging my curiousity here. I love figuring out what people dislike about various products.
Understood.
For me line 6 has a sound.....I tried to like the pod when it first came out was it in the 90's? But went with a competitor..........since then I bought maybe two or three of their products for which I still have the hardware 'dongle's' I never ended up using any of them in real projects....
Heard demos of the hardware helix, didnt' find any I liked...... then the native came out, downloaded it and demoed it for a day or two or three.. still didn't like it.
Line 6 to me has a sound, and it doesn't gel with me.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:33 pm Line 6 to me has a sound
This is definitely true, but with Helix I think they got rid of that weird airy/hollow thing that they had going with the POD line forever.

That characteristic 'maybe too smooth' distortion is there though.

Just saw a minute or two of your review.....:-)
Yes one couldn't accuse you of being a line6 fanboy.

There is just a fizzle/sizzle/grating in the high end that I always hear in their guitar amp simulators and for me is still very present in the Helix.

(It is the Tone stuff I had bought.. and it seems like there are two of them not three (although I seem to recall an ilok dongle being involved at some point in my line6 history)

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:40 pmThere is just a fizzle/sizzle/grating in the high end that I always hear in their guitar amp simulators and for me is still very present in the Helix.
That's nothing a bit of EQ can't fix. :P

Most any ampsim will need some EQ massaging to get rid of "offending frequencies". Even the best ones.

It isn't something EQ can fix....it isnt that it is too bright or too dull etc... its a fizzle/sizzle/grating.... I do have other guitar ampsims that I use if not daily/weekly. :-)

I just don't' like the line 6 stuff.. helix et al. I know you do and that's fine too.
rsp
sound sculptist

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:11 pm
zvenx wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:40 pmThere is just a fizzle/sizzle/grating in the high end that I always hear in their guitar amp simulators and for me is still very present in the Helix.
That's nothing a bit of EQ can't fix. :P

Most any ampsim will need some EQ massaging to get rid of "offending frequencies". Even the best ones.
remember that line 6 recommends an input level of -16, -12 tops.I get better results starting from scratch.

Yeah, I know about the input levels, but this is not about that.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:34 pm Yeah, I know about the input levels, but this is not about that.
It could help with the fizzyness and over all sound.

Return to “Effects”