Eventide SP2016 Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For anyone who is able to upgrade or crossgrade $29, I think it certainly merits consideration. Obviously, YMMV, and it also depends on what you already have and what you might need.

was best $29 i spent in a long time.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

i think so too.
it's so good for stabs for some reason, it's like audio ketchup. I wanna put it on everything.

funny i found it boring
not better than valhalla room for me

As a huge Valhalla fan I must say that this for my taste pisses all over Valhalla Room (which I own and theoretically love, but almost never use)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Just trying to understand here. Shouldn't this be eventually compared to Valhalla Vintage rather than Room?
Besides the later introduced "dirtier" algorithms, VRoom's specialty is supposed to be the cleaner/neutral sounding reverberation (without even going through all the dedicated parameters for customizing the characteristics of early and late reflections, which is my favorite thing about the plugin).

Anyway I just downloaded the demo for SP2016. I wasn't really interested at the beginning, but now I'm getting curious.

I'd rather compare it to VRoom than V³
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

i bought all the Valhalla verbs, twice. Except for Shimmer.
I tried, but could never really get into em.
but that's a discussion for another thread.

I personally love the positioning function of SP2016. and the stereo spread
It's a great character reverb, it has its flaws, but i love the way it sits in the mix.
Into the paint box for sure.

I'm getting some sounds with SP2016 that are totally reminiscent of '80s Talking Heads, especially on percussion. Def my favorite of the Eventide reverbs I have (Ultra, Stereo Room, and Blackhole). I feel like Position subtly alters stereo field in an interesting way besides adjusting early/late. I use at least one Valhalla 'verb on pretty much every track, but am always interested in other algoverbs.

jens wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:38 am As a huge Valhalla fan I must say that this for my taste pisses all over Valhalla Room
TBH, for me, that applies to all Eventide verbs.

Didn't think that I would be buying another reverb, especially one form iLok using company, but for 29$ could not resist and wanted to support Eventide too for their great freebies. SP2016 is definitely more interesting and better sounding than Valhalla Room.
No signature here!

chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:55 am
jens wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:38 am As a huge Valhalla fan I must say that this for my taste pisses all over Valhalla Room
TBH, for me, that applies to all Eventide verbs.

As I mentioned, I love Valhalla - and I think VRoom is a fantastic plugin. But I have troubles setting it up so that it fits my music and my mix. It's just so versatile, powerful and flexible and none of the presets offer the kind of instant gratifiction to me that SP2016 does, so I'm trying this and I'm trying that and then tend to end up replacing it with something else - that might be me, it might be VRoom, it might be both of us a little. SP2016 on the other hand I just slap onto whatever and perhaps tweak one or two controls and that's it - it's sounds gorgeous and as if it was exactly what is required.

FWIW, I had very similar issues. I owned VRoom and Vintage Verb, and, while they sounded OK, they just didn't fit to the kind of sound I'm after. Blackhole and UltraReverb simply nailed it, on the other hand, especially Blackhole. Can't even explain it too well, it's something I also encounter with synths. Very few which really "nail" the sound I'm after.

Yes, I think I know what you mean. I normally don't use synths though (or if I do, then it's usually hardware). I have a nice collection of very limited keyboard instruments that mostly do one or two things but this (for my taste) really well. I just plug them in (or mic them up) and hit record and then afterwards add FX to taste and that's it - just as I would do with a guitar basically. So that again is a similar affair of being limited yet very adequate.

I for instance have this thing which I love to pieces:

https://youtu.be/AB9muUG6r98

https://youtu.be/496vAA8jY3g

D.K Envelope wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:34 am funny i found it boring
not better than valhalla room for me
I'm somewhere in the middle I suppose. I like the original 2016 room, but the new plugin doesn't really add much. I don't care about the mono algorithm and I don't really like the plate. It's on the short list of Eventide plugins that I don't really care about and I should have just waited for the next version of their bundle.

Return to “Effects”