SSD5 just hit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Steven Slate Drums

jancivil wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:58 pm I don't know how good it sounds (except for the example, which doesn't translate to me using it), the free thing was ridiculous to even install, it's not free anything.

I was mildly curious and it was supposedly free. I have BFD3 for years, and I have zero need for the product.
It did turn me off to "Steven Slate" whoever he is. :arrow:
It has quite a specific 'sound', very 'produced' (for wont of a better term) which is great for some things such as hard rock/metel and the more rocky end of indie. I'd never use it for everything (got loads of other drums), but for some stuff it really excels. Not one for the jazzers/experimental crowd I'd say.

Well, I've used things out of Joe Barresi Evil Drums - eg., the "Glamoflage" kit - for rather jazzbo drumming.
There, they are using the board out of supposedly Barresi's playbook to enhance the drums.

That said, I can actually get a great fat sound out of the things which out of the box seem a bit lite in the loafers.

doesn't matter, I'm not going to pursue it because of the deception in the 'freebie', it's crippled. It's the same objection I have for IKMM, which I do like the sound of, I just don't support the business model of crippled freebies like you're pushed to fill the slots by a link to the website ASAP.

In the olden days, for whatever kind of music they were "producing" the drums, or the vocals quite a bit. I mean when there was no hard rock. But I get your meaning. I don't personally do a jazz kit approach except on a couple of occasions.

My biggest complaint, aside from just figuring out how to make it work, is that once you do, the mapping, which is a total joke, is fixed. You're stuck with it. And it's so unintuitive that only a masochist would use it.

jancivil wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:44 pm Well, I've used things out of Joe Barresi Evil Drums - eg., the "Glamoflage" kit - for rather jazzbo drumming.
There, they are using the board out of supposedly Barresi's playbook to enhance the drums.

That said, I can actually get a great fat sound out of the things which out of the box seem a bit lite in the loafers.

doesn't matter, I'm not going to pursue it because of the deception in the 'freebie', it's crippled. It's the same objection I have for IKMM, which I do like the sound of, I just don't support the business model of crippled freebies like you're pushed to fill the slots by a link to the website ASAP.
The Baresi Glamoflage kit is awesome.When I need to get something done Quick Just a little EQ and verb is all I need.Toms sound huge,only 3 though.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 pm My biggest complaint, aside from just figuring out how to make it work, is that once you do, the mapping, which is a total joke, is fixed. You're stuck with it. And it's so unintuitive that only a masochist would use it.
That's weird. You can't change the mapping after you set it up once, or is that maybe just a limit of the demo version?

Examigan wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:57 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 pm My biggest complaint, aside from just figuring out how to make it work, is that once you do, the mapping, which is a total joke, is fixed. You're stuck with it. And it's so unintuitive that only a masochist would use it.
That's weird. You can't change the mapping after you set it up once, or is that maybe just a limit of the demo version?
You can't even set the mapping period. You drag the instruments to the grid and they're auto mapped. Maybe it is a demo restriction. I don't know. Except this isn't supposed to be a demo. It's supposed to be the full functioning product only that it contains one drum kit.

If Steven Slate thinks this offering is going to make people go "Wow, this is really great! I gotta get me the whole product" he's crazy. Every drum product I have blows this thing away. There is nothing here to get excited about.

Yep, first thing I tried. Doesn't work. So must be a limitation of the free version.

Like I said, not a good way to entice people to buy your product.

Works fine here.

Functionality-wise, very disappointing compared to SD3 - even more so given how long ago SD3 was released now.

I don't think I got that far, and I don't remember why I think it's "crippled" other than it was a very irritating experience trying to set it up. Maybe I clicked on a preset in its browser and it didn't have it. Doesn't matter, I won't have paid for it anyway. General idle curiosity.

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:14 am Works fine here.
Full version?

wagtunes wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:29 am
donkey tugger wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:14 am Works fine here.
Full version?
Nah, in the v5 demo. You do have to have a kit loaded for it to function.

I would also tend to agree with others that it's a bit disappointing that there's been no extension in terms of effects etc in this release. Don't think I'll bother with the upgrade since v4 does what I need for that type of song (subtlety not generally a prerequisite... :hihi: ) and I've got shitloads of other drum libraries.

Anyone know how u add kits from SD4 to SD5. I have tried copying them into sd 5 the types come up but no kits same for the grooves.

Return to “Instruments”