Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:16 am Is that one of those spider-leg stands? They look great but they cost more than a Minilogue here
:eek: Got mine for about 230 US $. Here that would be a Volca (with adaptor), not a minilogue, which would be about 586 $ from new. Though, a bought a third arm for about 76$ but that one is off again.
I'd never looked at the M3 before, I'd probably assumed it was some old thing like the M3R but, doing it a bit of research, it seems kinda cool and the fact that it has held it's value pretty well indicates it's probably not bad at all.
Absoletely not bad at all. Had never payed attention to it until I searched for synths with Karma 2. It is one of the best sounding rompler synths I have put my hands on. Further, I have expanded it with the Radias module, which adds a 4 part, 24 voice polyphonic VA engine to the arsenal. Apart from this, it has a sampler, which I have expanded to its max about 320 MB. It has a piono roll step seq too. But best thing is, I feel like being in a 70s sci fi movie when fiddling with it. It looks like this ancient NASA board or something 8)

I had the sampler option on my Trinity and it used an external SCSI drive. I think the cartridges for that thing (SyQuest) were 250MB or something and they cost a comparative fortune. I don't think I could ever go back to working like that.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:24 pm I don't think I could ever go back to working like that.
It is even worse. My workflow is the most difficult ever due to my goals. Beat Step pro’s seq is clock master. This is synced with Analog Key’s internal sequencer, Digitone’s seq and M3’s seq. Beatstep pro controls 3 patches from M3, and Digitone controls 3 patches from M3 besides from Bass Station II and its own 4 internal tracks. M3 controls 4 of its own tracks with Karma arps. Thus, I have to run 4 sequencers in parallel to make this probability/random stuff work. :bang:

Fantom G is still recorder and mastering unit, so this has to be synced too but for recording only.

You crazy!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I know.

IncarnateX wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 am
BONES wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:24 pm I don't think I could ever go back to working like that.
It is even worse. My workflow is the most difficult ever due to my goals. Beat Step pro’s seq is clock master. This is synced with Analog Key’s internal sequencer, Digitone’s seq and M3’s seq. Beatstep pro controls 3 patches from M3, and Digitone controls 3 patches from M3 besides from Bass Station II and its own 4 internal tracks. M3 controls 4 of its own tracks with Karma arps. Thus, I have to run 4 sequencers in parallel to make this probability/random stuff work. :bang:

Fantom G is still recorder and mastering unit, so this has to be synced too but for recording only.
No external effects to worry about at least :P
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Oh..well...sort of..most hidden unit on the pic (far away on the lower left shelf) is a Zoom G1on effect unit. It supplements the mixer’s on board effect unit. Fortunately it is not midi controllable, so it does not contribute to midi spaghetti.

they grow so quickly these days :D

Serious question - what do you do with all that? As in, if you get a free afternoon to spend in front of it all, what do you do? To me it looks like a seriously good way to ensure nothing ever gets done.

vurt wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:37 pm they grow so quickly these days :D

The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:27 pm Serious question - what do you do with all that? As in, if you get a free afternoon to spend in front of it all, what do you do? To me it looks like a seriously good way to ensure nothing ever gets done.
It's just like any instrument. It requires some dedication, practice and technique to get "useful" results. But you can have fun experimenting, in no time, if you don't have any specific results in mind.

If someone sat me down with a Saxophone I probably wouldn't even be able to get sound from it for a while. I can put together a modular synth patch that does something cool in about two minutes. Maybe I should do a video like that.

The question then becomes why? What's the point of creating "something cool"? i.e. Where does that lead to? Because to me that seems like the end of it with a set-up like that. For example, if you wanted to write songs, I can't see how a set-up like that could be a part of that process. You'd have to keep the same set-up until you'd finished, which seems like a waste, but afterwards you'd never get that set-up back so you'd never be able to play that song again. I used to find that incredibly frustrating when I had a Mono/Poly - it was far and away the best synth I owned but I never used it because I couldn't recall a sound when I needed it. It was ultimately a complete dud for me, hence the question.

For me, creating something cool is the very start of a process that will take months, if it works out, and something that I'll be able to revisit whenever I want to for years/decades to come. That's what justifies the expense and effort. Otherwise I feel like I might as well be playing with a train set or something.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:53 am I can't see how a set-up like that could be a part of that process. You'd have to keep the same set-up until you'd finished, which seems like a waste, but afterwards you'd never get that set-up back so you'd never be able to play that song again.
It appears you like to be able to repeat a process within a simple setup and use relatively (relative to what can be done with a modular) basic sounds that fit an EDM genre, demonstrating there is more than one philosophy of creation.

But Im pretty sure you know this already ...
Amazon: why not use an alternative

BONES wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:27 pm Serious question - what do you do with all that? As in, if you get a free afternoon to spend in front of it all, what do you do? To me it looks like a seriously good way to ensure nothing ever gets done.
It's just what your aims are. I doubt if you want to work like this Eliane Radigue but the first quote of the video is the most telling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcy5fLcAsQQ

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”