Behringer Deepmind 12 desktop and Deepmind 6 (!)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scotty wrote:For me the strength of some of the modern analog synths like the DeepMind, Uno, Subphatty etc. is the deep midi support and included or third party editors (still waiting on the UNO). From a sound design point of view and with some automation of the parameters recorded into the DAW you can really push and pull these synths into interesting territory especially if exposed in a mix.

I don't have the Deepmind but in Canada they just put the Deepmind 12D on sale too. I love the fact it has no keys and is small. 12 voices is overkill - 6 would be fine for me but for the price ... I am really tempted.
12 voices isn’t overkill because you can stack them for unison. It isn’t uncommon to make or find a DM12 patch with 4 or 6 voices stacked together.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

BONES wrote:I haven't even looked at the Micromonsta's mod matrix, I'm happy with the oscillator algorithms and the filters and that's all that really matters to me.
And they sound pretty good as far as I can judge from the demos I have heard. In terms of options DM6 cannot compete with those features either. However, it is often hard to judge what a synth can do for you before you get your hands on it, you may like its particular sound in your favorite settings, so good testing.

I've been taking a second look at the possibility of a Deepmind, specifically the desktop version. I do not think that twelve voices is necessarily overkill, especially if for a particular patch you might want to avoid some of the voices cutting out too soon, say e.g. in an electric piano type of patch, etc.

For those that own one, how are the controls holding up?

I demoed one at a store and wasn't impressed with the sliders (shades of my ARP Omni!) - they felt a bit wobbly. But it's hard to judge those models - I saw a kid at GC the other day beating the crap out of an Arturia MatrixBrute; made me think twice about ever buying a demo!

Yeah, I bought an ex-demo Maschine Mikro from a shop's on line store and it was a shocker - no accessories, no paperwork and in a generic cardboard box. It looked like it has been treated very badly and it had a good coating of dust on it, too. Worst of all, it was only $20 cheaper than a new one so I took it back and paid the extra $20. I assumed that because it was only a bit cheaper that it would be a customer return or something but it was really bad.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Yeah, if it's only a $20 difference I would probably not want a demo.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

I bought an ex-demo NI Audio Kontrol interface because it was the last one in the shop ... still using it 12 years later. :)

Good synth, picked one up not long ago.
Had considered the 6 voice but went with the 12.
VERY glad I didn't get the 6 voice model, now that i am programming sounds with it.
Would have been way to limiting for my use.

JoeCat wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:56 pm For those that own one, how are the controls holding up?

I demoed one at a store and wasn't impressed with the sliders (shades of my ARP Omni!) - they felt a bit wobbly. But it's hard to judge those models - I saw a kid at GC the other day beating the crap out of an Arturia MatrixBrute; made me think twice about ever buying a demo!
It's the slider caps, not the sliders. While you don't want them on too tight, in case you have to open the thing, the caps are what gives the wobbly feel. I replaced them with Arp style vinyl caps, and they feel and look lots better. Great synth though. Real happy with mine, especially live.

pugilistas wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:31 am
JoeCat wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:56 pm For those that own one, how are the controls holding up?

It's the slider caps, not the sliders. While you don't want them on too tight, in case you have to open the thing, the caps are what gives the wobbly feel. I replaced them with Arp style vinyl caps, and they feel and look lots better. Great synth though. Real happy with mine, especially live.
Seems well made, mine is used in studio only so no traveling....

PatchAdamz wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:35 am
pugilistas wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:31 am

Seems well made, mine is used in studio only so no traveling....
If it's just the caps, that's no biggy.

It may be kinda between this and the Miniloque for me for a cheap poly-ana (just for funs). Thing about Behringer is they are usually not exempt from the store sales (which are increasingly "15% off any item except *Ableton, Apogee, Apple - every manufacturer whose name starts with a letter") :(

How are the fans? On the noisy side or okay?

Re demo models... I've gotten quite a few demos over the years and for the most part, they have been perfectly fine. On the other hand, I too have seen a few of those GC kids that JoeCat mentioned. Are GC's even around anymore?

The Minilogue is a great synth! The main thing it has going against it is only 4-voice polyphony. The small keyboard is a minus for some folks, but I imagine many of us have controller keyboards that we use in the studio anyway.

One more thing... I have heard that beginning in January for those who are in the U.S. everything that is manufactured in a certain country is going to be impacted by a 25% tariff.

Sequent wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:05 am How are the fans? On the noisy side or okay?

Re demo models... I've gotten quite a few demos over the years and for the most part, they have been perfectly fine. On the other hand, I too have seen a few of those GC kids that JoeCat mentioned. Are GC's even around anymore?
Deepmind gives you some nice features which include control over fan speed (which effects the volume), oscillator tuning, deep Fx programming and many other features.
Wish some of my old classic synths did that. :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”