Roy Clark - great American guitarist and entertainer

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of the less known guitar player names is American Roy Clark. He was in the 50's a real reneissance figure: multi-instrumentalist, boxer, baseball-player, airplane pilot, tv-host etc etc.

Taka a look at this clip: he is as good as Les Paul, fast but very clean and precise touch, and funny, see e. g. 1.20-1.40.

I would say: a genius. 95 % of of the present day "rock guitar heroes" are just diletants in this comparision.

https://youtu.be/xlrcNtH5pu8

When I was young, I dismissed him and Glen Campbell as playing music either for hicks (Hee-Haw) or MOR stuff my parents liked. I had no idea, really, until the internet, that they were both extremely gifted guitarists. I respect Roy's talents, but I doubt I'd ever buy any of his music. Same goes for Glen.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:12 pm When I was young, I dismissed him and Glen Campbell as playing music either for hicks (Hee-Haw) or MOR stuff my parents liked. I had no idea, really, until the internet, that they were both extremely gifted guitarists. I respect Roy's talents, but I doubt I'd ever buy any of his music. Same goes for Glen.
You may be right - but if I had to choose either "The best of Slash", or "The best of Roy Clark & Glen Campbell", I picked up the later in a sla... sorry, in a flash. :D

Slash is the signal example of the worst tendencies n rock lead guitar IME. It always struck me a bunch of hoary tropes tossed together with no real thought as to construction or composition. His tone is ok.

funnily enough Youtube suggested this to me a couple days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5d8KtpIoEQ

There is a Roy Clark interview as well, where he tells about his musical background. Btw, the above starts really fly by the end (around 3.00 onwards).

I used to dig Roy Clark on HeeHaw back in the day on broadcast (1970s). Also, once I saw Glen Campbell on Johnny Carson Tonight Show playing ... things like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PEf7yYCZE

I didn't grow up with a prejudice against country and western even as I found my father didn't care at all for it (I was liking Honky Tonk Women, Stones on the radio in the car one day I was about to set up and play in the park and he wouldn't stand for it). Most of it is kind of lame, conformist (like most things, though) but what I found was to be a top Nashville cat, somebody else being able to *cut* you was a thing, and the people thriving tended to be the best technically. Which tended to mean knowing something.

I'm pretty sure Slash knows he's not in the same league as either of them. One thing that Keef said about guitar playing that I agree with is one should learn to get whatever sounds they can from an acoustic guitar before moving to electric. Pretty much how I started. Both Glen and Roy were so good at pretty much anything they wanted to do.

Anyways, think this is either an HD-28 or D-35, my money is on the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xssnp7R51A
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

The thing I want from Glen Campbell on Tonight I cannot find on the Youtube. It wasn't on a guitar like that, it was a solid body (not a strat). I didn't recognize the guitar. My recollection was it was blue. The context probably wasn't a Vegas standard or like that.

I've seen clips of Glen playing the William Tell Overture on a 12 string electric, and playing the bagpipes for Mull of Kintyre, of all things. The guy had it.Very sad about his condition. I just can't stand 'Rhinestone Cowboy.'
-Martin Luther King Jr.

jancivil wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:37 pm I used to dig Roy Clark on HeeHaw back in the day on broadcast (1970s). Also, once I saw Glen Campbell on Johnny Carson Tonight Show playing ... things like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PEf7yYCZE

I didn't grow up with a prejudice against country and western even as I found my father didn't care at all for it (I was liking Honky Tonk Women, Stones on the radio in the car one day I was about to set up and play in the park and he wouldn't stand for it). Most of it is kind of lame, conformist (like most things, though) but what I found was to be a top Nashville cat, somebody else being able to *cut* you was a thing, and the people thriving tended to be the best technically. Which tended to mean knowing something.
I was into hee haw too (I guess my bad jokes are proof of that) but I also loved RC cameos on other shows, like him playing violin on the odd couple...he was far more than just a guitar player.

I was not a fan of country either, I was at FT hood for three years and you could tell what kind of music a club played by the cars out front. Killeen TX was full of clubs (not bars because it was a dry town so you had to have a club card to drink there) and at the time FT Hood was the biggest base in the world so it was a real mixed bag.

I was fortunate, I didn't live on base, had my own truck and Austin was a short drive away so I spent a lot of time in Austin in the late 70s and early 80s.

Anywhere else in Texas and I would have been doomed, but Killeen (and Harker Heights next door) plus Austin got me away from Gillies type clubs. :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Some people on this planet are just geniuses; Roy Clark most definitely falls into this category.

From Wikipedia:

'At 14, Clark began playing banjo, guitar, and mandolin, and by age 15 he had already won two National Banjo Championships[3] and world banjo/guitar flatpick championships. He was simultaneously pursuing a sporting career, first as a baseball player and then as a boxer, before dedicating himself solely to music. At 17, he had his first appearance on the Grand Ole Opry.'

Wow.

As an aside: another guy that lives in genius territory is Brian May of Queen (that's "Doctor* Brian May, PhD)

Glen Campbell was Wrecking Crew alumni - part of a group of some of the most in-demand session musicians in history (he also toured before he was a solo artist on occasion)

He toured with the Beach Boys, iirc.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I used to live opposite Slash on Hollywood Blvd back in the day...

He may not be the world's best guitar player,but he sure as hell had a lot of girls that followed him home in the morning :wink:

He was like the pied piper...

I didn't even know who the guy with the geasy hair and the leather hat was,so some friends played me "Appetite for Destruction"....

But that's not really my thing...

I'd rather listen to Glen Campbell sing some Jimmy Webb songs...

Great arrangements and skillful players...

They may sound a little syrupy,but the're classic tracks :tu:
No auto tune...

I never had any use for GnR, or Slash as a guitarist. Don't even know how 'Sweet Child in Time'.... excuse me, 'Sweet Child o' Mine' goes, though I see on the interwebs that lots of guitarists apparently want to learn it. I don't mind some of Glen's songs from the 60's (although the associations are unhappy ones), but I hate Rhinestone Cowboy.

He must've made Ovation millions, though.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:13 pm He must've made Ovation millions, though.
A friend of mine told me he was backstage when the group "America" finished a gig and just tossed their Ovation guitars into the corner...

Like many endorsee's,I guess the love was only skin deep :wink:

I have a couple of custom made carbon graphite 7 string acoustics and the're quite interesting guitars...

Streets ahead of anything made by Kaman,but I prefer the tone of nice wood :tu:
No auto tune...

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”