Do I need TDR VOS SlickEQ – Gentleman’s Edition?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I heard great things about the product mentioned above.
Since I already own loads of EQs like Pro Q2 and also some stuff by Waves and Slate, I was wondering if this one could bring anything new to the game. Looking forward to read about your experience.

Thanks! :phones:

- Juljan

Is it a great EQ for myself and lots of others? Absolutely. Is it a great EQ for you?? Only your ears can decide that.
Last edited by jbarish on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So... I own a lot of software (and a "few" hardware) EQs. SlickEQ GE is my second most used product in 2018.

I really enjoy the deresonate and match features. They work faster and better than other EQ's I've tried with similar features. It's generally a quick way to get a more sane starting point for certain EQing tasks.

I'm also a huge fan of having multiple filter styles to switch between. I often work in the "Japanese" mode and switch to german or soviet to get a more natural sounding result.

I also enjoy the ease of access of the V-filter. There's so many styles of music where there's an expectation of that 'smiley face' sound, and I find that building it up at the source with light V-shaped curves works much better than smiley-facing it on busses or on the master. SlickEQ makes this easy.

I do generally prefer using a node-based EQ (my favorite is apQualizr), but for quick EQ I find that SlickEQ is just the easiest to work with. There's a TON of options, and I own most of them, but the ease of use of SlickEQ has slowly won me over.

It took a while though. I only ended up using it because of an article series (part 1, part 2 - what I want in an EQ, and part 3). Even in that time I wasn't super psyched about it, but I kept using it for small things here and there and I just started to grab it more and more because of how easy it was to use for solving common issues.

There's still a place for 'colour EQ's like what Slate and other companies offer. SlickEQ can do some light saturation, but it's not what I grab when I want colour.

Short answer: Only if you are a gentleman.

The 'deresonate' feature is actually pretty useful. I use it a lot. Good little eq and partners well with pro-q2. I'd wait and pick it up when it's on sale soon.

I bought Slickeq M on sale at Plugin Boutique and because of owning that at TDR I could buy Slickeq GE for 10 euro.
Love them both. At this moment I mainly use it's deresonate function.
OP; with Black Friday and end of year sales coming near I would wait for that.

Lovely eq. I often toss it to bus for minor tweaks and for that subtle saturation that you don't hear but feel :lol:

Probably.

Well, you could just try the free Slick EQ and if you like it, the GE version is even better.

Heck, there's a demo of the GE version, even.

No, there's no demo for the SlickEQ GE. "Please refer to the standard edition for a free and fully functional demonstrator of TDR VOS SlickEQ – Gentleman’s Edition's core features."
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-vos-slickeq-ge/

I have GE and only use the GE features a small portion of the time. However, the fact they exist makes it easier to commit to using it on a track. It's my go-to for "shaping" unless I specifically want the Pultec trick (which I can't seem to match with it) or gentle shaping of pre-mixed material (in which case SlickEQ M is even better).

subterfuge wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:00 pm No, there's no demo for the SlickEQ GE. "Please refer to the standard edition for a free and fully functional demonstrator of TDR VOS SlickEQ – Gentleman’s Edition's core features."
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-vos-slickeq-ge/
OH, you're right! How odd. I guess I must've been confusing it with SlickEQ M, which does have a demo.

Yes you do need gentelmens edition. Think of the stuff you can do with it that you cant with the EQs you have. Its amazing right.

Elektronisch wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:17 pm Yes you do need gentelmens edition. Think of the stuff you can do with it that you cant with the EQs you have. Its amazing right.
Indeed, that's why I was asking what new features SlickEQ could give me.

Return to “Effects”