Cubase 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Functional wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:23 am
VitaminD wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:35 am
Functional wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:29 am What's this ARA that people are talking about and why should I care about it? Out of curiosity
Let me google that for you! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Random_Access

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix1FKDtfiUs

:)
Holy shit. I did google it up but and found the wikipedia article but I still found it confusing. That was pretty good demonstration, on the other hand. I'd love that.
It is pretty much the only thing I really feel I'm lacking in Cubase at this point. I've been requested ARA for years though and Steinberg, thus far, has been pretty deadset on going their own way with their homebrew Variaudio. So I don't really expect to see it.. but ARA would be lovely to have in C10 (or C10.5 if you're reading this Steinberg crew!).

I don't know why they are so adamant on their own tech in this case as the inclusion isn't a standalone product (and variaudio is inferior imo - sorry) so they might as well just include ARA at this point and keep vari where it is at for legacy products... again imo!

VitaminD wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:26 am It is pretty much the only thing I really feel I'm lacking in Cubase at this point. I've been requested ARA for years though and Steinberg, thus far, has been pretty deadset on going their own way with their homebrew Variaudio. So I don't really expect to see it.. but ARA would be lovely to have in C10 (or C10.5 if you're reading this Steinberg crew!).

I don't know why they are so adamant on their own tech in this case as the inclusion isn't a standalone product (and variaudio is inferior imo - sorry) so they might as well just include ARA at this point and keep vari where it is at for legacy products... again imo!
Thing about that ARA is also that I could see lot of use for it for other purposes too than just Melodyne. One notable example would be PaulStretch. Not including it for the sake of VariAudio is like any other DAW not supporting VST format because they have their own plugins. Probably a bad idea.

Or it's like Logic not supporting VST because here's teh AU protocol. :shrug:

Personally I use certain things VST3 is needed for. So I don't use Logic.
OTOH, I don't know why VariAudio is supposedly so deprecated, and I understand it rather well. Logic supports ARA. ;)

jancivil wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:00 am Or it's like Logic not supporting VST because here's teh AU protocol. :shrug:
I think that has more to do with just VST being historically a windows thing and AU extension a mac thing. Tbqf I don't know about the historical timeline in particular but I suspect it's something like Steinberg first develops VST, then Apple develops AU. If it goes like that, then AU makes sense because it would still be a lot of work to rewrite VST into mac back then.

As for VariAudio being deprecated, I think that's also a history thing (taking a note for myself: you have read too much foucault). In music technology at least, it seems that you have to have impossibly good reputation before you can become an industry standard. And when from the get-go you are limited to a DAW that is still not considered as an industry standard, well, you should be able to figure the rest.

The number 1 thing I'd wish for Cubase is REMOVE THE DONGLE or make it optional. That is *almost* a deal-breaker when traveling with laptops.

Make it like Reason - have a dongle? Great! Don't have one? Do instant account lookup, and you're good! Now, THAT's a killer feature for Cubase.

keyman_sam wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:11 am The number 1 thing I'd wish for Cubase is REMOVE THE DONGLE or make it optional. That is *almost* a deal-breaker when traveling with laptops.

Make it like Reason - have a dongle? Great! Don't have one? Do instant account lookup, and you're good! Now, THAT's a killer feature for Cubase.
This is probably each year the most requested feature. It's also the most requested feature that isn't going to happen, because the dongle does exactly what its supposed to do. I'd be annoyed about DRM that doesn't effectively do anything except annoy customers, but alas, can't complain when it actually does do what its intended to do.

Functional wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 am
thejonsolo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:26 am By docs I mean, What's New.
Oh yeah, I'm also interested. I was really disappointed with 9.0 as it just had features that were largely useless for me (except mixer undo), but 9.5 was really a gamechanger. I just haven't still upgraded and I thought I'd upgrade soon so I'd get 9.5 meanwhile and get to the good cycle where I have to spend every second year 50€ to stay somewhat dated with Cubase.

Sadly, now it's 170€.
Not sure what you mean by that. You always had to pay more than 50 € every second year.

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:42 am Not sure what you mean by that. You always had to pay more than 50 € every second year.
Not if you're picky about when you upgrade. You should be able to figure out how that works.

You can upgrade from 9 to 9.5 for 50 €. Which is within a year, because the .5 releases happen after about a year. From 9.5 to 10 will cost 59 €, I believe, and, an upgrade from 9 to 10 will cost 120€, I think, which is "every second year".

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:51 am You can upgrade from 9 to 9.5 for 50 €. Which is within a year, because the .5 releases happen after about a year. From 9.5 to 10 will cost 59 €, I believe, and, an upgrade from 9 to 10 will cost 120€, I think, which is "every second year".
Okay, let's make it bit clearer I guess. If I upgrade now to Cubase 9.5, I will get 10.0 with the same price due to grace period. If I wait to upgrade to 10.5 right before 11 is out, then I still get into the grace period. Catching my drift?

We already had the dongle discussion, go back a couple of pages. In short - they are replacing the dongle, but not yet.

The first 3rd party retail link, thanks Sonik. I really like the integration of Vari Audio, so happy to read Vari Audio 3 is here. Improvements there will be very welcome, hoping that includes timing adjustments across multiple channels. As expected there’s Groove Agent 5 SE and, cue the derision, 5GB of loops.

Still waiting on news of Track Presets 2.0... come on Steinberg, that’s the big one for me by far.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Sonik31 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:57 am https://www.melodyshop.sk/steinberg-cub ... ucational/

Variaudio 3...
Yippee.! I briefly saw that page and its detail, before it was yanked... If true, I'm in.. :)
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

Sonik31 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:57 am https://www.melodyshop.sk/steinberg-cub ... ucational/

Variaudio 3...
Since the page is now pulled.
Stole this from vi-control.

VariAudio 3: Complete control over your music with even more tools
5GB of high quality sounds and loops from renowned producers
64-bit audio engine up to 192 kHz
System requirements (Mac): macOS 10.12 / 10.13, at least 4 GB RAM, 64-bit Intel or AMD multi-core processor (Intel i5 and above)
System requirements (Windows): 64-bit Windows 7 / 8.x / 10, at least 4 GB RAM, 64-bit Intel or AMD multi-core processor (Intel i5 and above)
Intelligent Chord Track, Chord Pads, Chord Assistant
Support for high-resolution display
8 tools with over 3,000 sounds including: HALion Sonic SE 3, Groove Agent SE 5, Padshop, Retrologue 2 and LoopMash 2
More than 90 high-end audio and MIDI VST effects processors

chk071 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:51 am You can upgrade from 9 to 9.5 for 50 €. Which is within a year, because the .5 releases happen after about a year. From 9.5 to 10 will cost 59 €, I believe, and, an upgrade from 9 to 10 will cost 120€, I think, which is "every second year".
Usually, from .5 to the next .0 is €99, not €59. And the upgrade from one .0 to ther next .0 is €149
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”