Seismic (VST/AU for Mac and Windows)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Seismic

574X wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:16 pm I think Seismic is fantastic. :hyper: :love: I made an entire track using only Seismic, in fact... :lol:

Seismic feedback:
Bug1: Please resolve the attack and release clicks caused by the filter(?).
It seemed necessary for me to create attack and release envelopes with track volume automation to overcome this and that would make me consider this a fundamental flaw with nearly any sound generating source.

Bug 2: Stacking FM has little effect.
This seems counterintuitive as I would expect something as modular as Seismic to showcase its full gamut of FM flexibility.

Feature Request: Nodes which can act as Env AD and Env SR.

Ofc, I’m no trained expert, but in my synths I’ve slashed optimization as much as 50% to ensure that much smaller filter bugs were not an issue, such as polyphonic key tracking and lfo to filter modulation ranges...
Bug 1: it's a feature, not a bug! It has to do with the wave you're feeding it. The more sine-y it is, the more click-y it will be. Just add a touch of attack time, usually a milli or two, will eliminate it. I have not heard release clicks. You'll need to send me a patch that does it.

Regarding the filters, the main filter is of my own design and it does quite well, but balancing res vs cutoff while keeping it from blowing up is a pain. It's one of those things that works, but I'm not quite sure how. :lol: I once got drunk and added a feature to my website and I'm still not quite sure how it works...

I'll look into splitting the envelope into two nodes. Not sure what to do if somebody uses just one half of the pair.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Taron wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:28 pm I must say, I just now took another look at it, because the Env ADSR drove me nuts.
I think Korg copied me for their Monologue regarding the ADSR. :hihi:

If you use the ADSR wave with the ADSR mixer, you do get all four, but the attack time is split evenly between the attack and the decay, plus the decay final level is a constant. The release is its own thing. But you're correct, it's really just a gussied up ASR.

As for features, this is one you probably have to read the manual on. Most every synth feature is there, or can be created with a mod node.

Regarding accordion, on an early beta version, I had a patch that sounded dead on like a cello, but it only tracked one octave and after some changes, it never sounded as good. Seismic was me learning c++, mac Cocoa, VST, DSP and some other stuff all at once. I think after having a couple of months off, I can now come back to it with fresh eyes (and ears) and really work on the nuts and bolts of it, tighten up all the current features and a add a couple mod options that have been waiting in the wings here.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Oh, and I stupidly took out a line of Windows code, wondering why it was there, and broke a lot of compatibility regarding typing in fields, like in mulab, which is my main DAW. I'll get that fixed in the next Windows update, but I'm still trying to figure out why Live just doesn't work with either version--Seismic works fine with Live on the mac. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HAHA, MuLab is your main DAW, too?! That's AWESOME! :hyper:
Well, I'm looking forward to your next release. I love diving deeply into synths and generally tend to figure out everything I need to let them make me happy, hehe. Manual is most of the time the last resort, but it happens that I look into one. Seismic took me a brief moment to wrap my head around, but after that it felt quite clear with lots to explore.
I know very well what it's like to plunge into VST development, the pains to track down everything one wants to know and even challenges to find out what one needs to know. I haven't yet tackled the MAC properly, though, I did some compiling with it, but yet have to translate my code properly.
DSP stuff can get very tricky, because it's incredibly sensitive and you need to figure out the behavior in a dimension (sound) that is quite intangible. While the math may feel straight forward, dealing with the digital quantization is where the true challenge sits and waits for you with sharpened claws.
Again, looking very much forward to your updates and will happily test stuff out then, too! :phones:
ROCK ON! 8) ...and thank you! :tu:

I've uploaded an update for the Mac side, Seismic v1.4! Please see the new manual for a list of changes and updates. I think you'll like it.

And now, I'm going to pop on once south my code base to the Dark Side--er, Windows and see if it will compile. I've also got to look at some compatibility issues and a certain line of code I deleted! I hope to have the Win 1.4 version available by the end of next week, although I'm unsure if I can make Live users happy...

Taron wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:04 am HAHA, MuLab is your main DAW, too?! That's AWESOME! :hyper:
Yeah, and any similarity in color scheme is purely accidental (or Freudian slip subconscious kinda thing)! :lol:

I didn't even notice for like a month after I got the GUI set up with color scheme.

I just updated both Windows and Mac versions to 1.4.1. Please see the manual for changes.

On the Windows side, text entry is still a bit wonky, but should be workable. Some hosts still steal spaces and returns. To workaround, use an underscore (_) instead of a space. If return fails, just click the field again to end the edit. As always, please report any issues, especially if you use Cubase or StudioOne as I do not currently test on those. Include your OS ad DAW version.

Please note that the Windows fix is just a quick stopgap while I explore a more universal solution.

I will check it out shortly, for sure! Thanks for keeping at it, makes me very happy! :tu:
You know, by the way, I didn't even notice the similarity myself. Maybe we're "gray blind" by now? :hihi:

It's alive!!!

Yes, this thread is back from the dead with the latest version of Seismic 1.5! Come and get it!

As always, please report any issues for the inevitable 1.5.1 bug fix.

Thanks!

Hmmm, and again it's me posting, almost a year later?! Anyway...
That's great! I've already downloaded it! Congrats! Will test it asap! :hyper:

I totally forgot about Seismic.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Hi All ... two of you... Thanks for sticking around.

I just uploaded the inevitable 1.5.1 bug fix. All naughty behaviors occasionally making Seismic explode randomly should now be eliminated. "Shouldn't happen here" apparently can happen in multi-threaded environments. :?

If you get a blow up, let me know what you were doing:
1. I selected a new mixer.
2. I just touched my mouse!
3. Other.

Also, filters have been retuned, patches updated with a couple added to show off new features, secret sauce splashed on... Enjoy!

As your very first customer (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=486713) I am so pleased you are continuing to update this synth which is a small world of its own!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:27 am As your very first customer (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=486713) I am so pleased you are continuing to update this synth which is a small world of its own!
Three of you! <swoon>

:lol:

Hey, it was love at first sight... Though I am disloyal in my synth relationships...
Biggest plus is the 15 nodes setting... Now we can get beyond what was possible in the known world...

Return to “Instruments”