Rent to own DAW: Studio One on Splice

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zexila wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 pm Sure, but if you own current version at the time you payed it off/last installment, than it's moot really, so anyone knows?

I might stretch my payments for like 5 years, if I need the DAW few months in a year for some projects, wonder which version I get when I reach my last installment and if in my third year for example S1 v5 comes out, do I continue renting v4 or new v5?
If I remember correctly, updates were available, and didn’t cost extra with Serum. I expect that it would work the same way with StudioOne. When you come back, it’ll be whatever the latest version is, and it may very well be more expensive than the old version but, your previous payments would count toward the latest version

W23 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:31 pm
Zexila wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 pm Sure, but if you own current version at the time you payed it off/last installment, than it's moot really, so anyone knows?

I might stretch my payments for like 5 years, if I need the DAW few months in a year for some projects, wonder which version I get when I reach my last installment and if in my third year for example S1 v5 comes out, do I continue renting v4 or new v5?
If I remember correctly, updates were available, and didn’t cost extra with Serum. I expect that it would work the same way with StudioOne. When you come back, it’ll be whatever the latest version is, and it may very well be more expensive than the old version but, your previous payments would count toward the latest version
That sounds great, thanks for answering. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

J. Smith wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:02 pm I'm all for rent-to-own, but never for just renting.
+1

Not sure why this is debated. This is just another option. You're not forced to take it. You can still pay full price, discounted price or find a bargain in 2nd market. I prefer such model than for example Adobe CC.
resistance is futile. Check my latest mix: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=532758

blizzard wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:40 pm Not sure why this is debated. This is just another option. You're not forced to take it. You can still pay full price, discounted price or find a bargain in 2nd market. I prefer such model than for example Adobe CC.
+1. The rent-to-own model came in super useful for me, it's just a matter of your financial situation.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

blizzard wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:40 pm Not sure why this is debated. This is just another option. You're not forced to take it. You can still pay full price, discounted price or find a bargain in 2nd market. I prefer such model than for example Adobe CC.
Agreed. There's a group here at KVR that usually jumps on a "rent-to-own" thread to bitch about and oppose it. :roll: I'm waiting for those people to slowly trickle into this thread.

Russell Grand wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:12 am
Agreed. There's a group here at KVR that usually jumps on a "rent-to-own" thread to bitch about and oppose it. :roll: I'm waiting for those people to slowly trickle into this thread.
AAAAA, SCEW YOU FOR SPENDING YOUR OWN MONEY.

It's awesome option. I really hope more developers will follow this model in future. S1 is excellent DAW and they really know what they are doing. But I have Artist version already so I'm waiting for Pro upgrade deal this year on Black Friday.

zenophilix wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:34 am
AAAAA, SCEW YOU FOR SPENDING YOUR OWN MONEY.
:lol:

monkiusz wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:23 am It's awesome option. I really hope more developers will follow this model in future.
+1 :tu:

monkiusz wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:23 am It's awesome option. I really hope more developers will follow this model in future. S1 is excellent DAW and they really know what they are doing. But I have Artist version already so I'm waiting for Pro upgrade deal this year on Black Friday.
+1, S1 still holds a place in my heart as the first DAW where I made something I was proud of. Still Artist though, I need my plugins bad nowadays.

I suppose some might consider me one of those people... I have no problem with the rent to own approach in and of itself... because of the own part. What I do have is antenna up to anything that is leading the industry towards subscription only (like Adobe).

I don't like that either. I rather consider the rent to own thing a payment by instalments, with the option to just rent.

I think, it´s a great option... and worth to support...
I already rented to own Serum with Splice and had only good experience with that...

I didn´t own S1 before, but now I´m on board :)

I like the concept of rent to own in general, including the Splice model. I'm currently renting to own Decimort. It's great.
I'd like to see more of this from music software companies that don't offer a lot of discounts in particular.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”