Cubase 10?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

killmaster wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:54 pm O no, I didn't uninstall Cubase 9 before installing Cubase 10. Will this be a problem in any way? I'd love to remove Cubase 9 at this point. Anyone know how I can do this and not disturb my Cubase 10 install?
They are independent of each other, and they both have their own user folders too.

What WILL be a problem is that Cubase installs loads of single components, so, even if you remove version 9, you'll have content, maybe plugins, from it appearing in version 10, because they are still installed on your system. If that is no problem for you, then you don't have to worry about anything really.

Yes, HDPI mode is basically useless unless you can read size 4 fonts :lol:

Steiny plugs like padshop and retrolog are not resizable and are too small to use for me. Groove agent 5 and Halion have 'fake resize' so they can say it resizes (the window gets bigger and is full of just blank space, the fonts, buttons....'the GUI' stay the same size!). I also think Padshop and Retrologue are so dated and fugly compared to modern flat GUIs. When I switched back to Studio One after trying Cubase 10 for a comparison the hole thing just seemed clearer, cleaner and more modern.

To conclude- don't upgrade if for a better GUI if you are on windows, it is still lightyears behind most DAWS that have proper internal scaling. There are too many styles, pop up windows and inconsistent methods of doing things for me, its so much better than it was, but there art still some things that are not properly integrated in to the new pseudo windowless style. Maybe by 11 the transformation will be complete :clown:

All in I have had about 2 hours on it now. I am underwhelmed!. Its a 'meh' from me and I cant help but feel they have released this before its ready looking at the windows 10 notes and some of the scrappy and unfinished GUI stuff. The ARA integration will probably be the best new feature when it comes!

PS- The top menu bar still doesn't close for me when I shut Cubase 10, I have to close it twice :dog:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

What, no one complaining about the update price yet?? ;)

fese wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:37 pm What, no one complaining about the update price yet?? ;)
I would but honestly this time around we got plenty of solid features. I mean the pricing model does suck, that's a given, but unlike 9.0, they're bringing some solid stuff to the table this time around. I mean, there was mixer undo in 9.0 but that should have been way earlier present anyway. Doesn't feel like a new feature rather than a "why wasn't it there since the eternity begun?" feature.

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:23 pm
killmaster wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:54 pm O no, I didn't uninstall Cubase 9 before installing Cubase 10. Will this be a problem in any way? I'd love to remove Cubase 9 at this point. Anyone know how I can do this and not disturb my Cubase 10 install?
They are independent of each other, and they both have their own user folders too.

What WILL be a problem is that Cubase installs loads of single components, so, even if you remove version 9, you'll have content, maybe plugins, from it appearing in version 10, because they are still installed on your system. If that is no problem for you, then you don't have to worry about anything really.
Thank you for this! I loaded Cubase 9 in AppCleaner and it only loaded items to remove that specifically have "Cubase 9" in the name except for Cubase 10 preferences which was weird. Guess I'm safe. Thanks again... Nice that they keep things separate. I did notice that it seems to use a lot of vst plugins that were not altered in Cubase 10. I can tell by the date stamp on the files...

Yeah. They get updated, if there are newer versions of the plugins available in the newer Cubase installer, but, if the version of the plugins stayed the same, they won't be updated, of course.

Do I see that right that the new color picker doesn't display the names I've given the color anymore? That would suck badly...

I was thinking that Cubase 10 had full MPE support but I see no way of accessing the Roli "Lift" parameter (MIDI release velocity). I see the other 4 dimensions (Strike, Slide, Glide and Press) but not release velocity. Anyone know if its actually in there?

And yes, I do use this parameter :)

fese wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:37 pm What, no one complaining about the update price yet?? ;)
Nope...ah, well, now you mention it. No.
Their loss. If it was a £50.00 intro upgrade from 9.5 no brainer - as is I think I can wait till the next update/grace period this time round :)

Staying up to date is far more expensive than waiting (as it seems to be with all software)- loyal customers are penalised...people who drop in and out rewarded.

You can upgrade from V7 (six years old) for £170 and get an absolute ton of new features but its £85 to update from a version less than a year old for a few minor feature bumps and tweaks.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:41 pm Staying up to date is far more expensive than waiting (as it seems to be with all software)- loyal customers are penalised...people who drop in and out rewarded.

You can upgrade from V7 (six years old) for £170 and get an absolute ton of new features but its £85 to update from a version less than a year old for a few minor feature bumps and tweaks.
Just do the ~£50 update every 2 years :arrow: be happy :idea: It still is and always have been a legit update path.

If everybody wants everything NOW, then they have to pay. Fair ennough. Pionners always pay more, regardless if it is this new 4K TV technology or a new software version.

SLiC wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:36 pm Yes, HDPI mode is basically useless unless you can read size 4 fonts :lol:

Steiny plugs like padshop and retrolog are not resizable and are too small to use for me. Groove agent 5 and Halion have 'fake resize' so they can say it resizes (the window gets bigger and is full of just blank space, the fonts, buttons....'the GUI' stay the same size!). I also think Padshop and Retrologue are so dated and fugly compared to modern flat GUIs. When I switched back to Studio One after trying Cubase 10 for a comparison the hole thing just seemed clearer, cleaner and more modern.

To conclude- don't upgrade if for a better GUI if you are on windows, it is still lightyears behind most DAWS that have proper internal scaling. There are too many styles, pop up windows and inconsistent methods of doing things for me, its so much better than it was, but there art still some things that are not properly integrated in to the new pseudo windowless style. Maybe by 11 the transformation will be complete :clown:

All in I have had about 2 hours on it now. I am underwhelmed!. Its a 'meh' from me and I cant help but feel they have released this before its ready looking at the windows 10 notes and some of the scrappy and unfinished GUI stuff. The ARA integration will probably be the best new feature when it comes!

PS- The top menu bar still doesn't close for me when I shut Cubase 10, I have to close it twice :dog:
Thanks to take the time to write your experience with it.

What size your monitor is? It's 4k I take it.

Functional wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:40 pm
I would but honestly this time around we got plenty of solid features. I mean the pricing model does suck, that's a given, but unlike 9.0, they're bringing some solid stuff to the table this time around. I mean, there was mixer undo in 9.0 but that should have been way earlier present anyway. Doesn't feel like a new feature rather than a "why wasn't it there since the eternity begun?" feature.
They raised the price? :bang: :tantrum: Damn Cubase!!! Oh, and let not forget you need a dongle too. Dongles are a high-I-hate-factor here on kvr. :lol: No I have another complaint: what was the point with all the useless videos? Groove Agent, Retrolouge, Chord Track, amps they're old news. And try to explain like everybody are new beginners and know nothing about what a DAW is? Give me break. :dog: Nothing is showing me anything worth upgrading. I rather spend the money on new guitar strings.

Daimonicon wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:37 pm
They raised the price? :bang: :tantrum: Damn Cubase!!! Oh, and lets not forget you need a dongle too. Dongles are a high-I-hate-factor here on kvr. :lol: No I have another complaint: what was the point with all the useless videos? Groove Agent, Retrolouge, Chord Track, amps they're old news. And try to explain like everybody are new beginners and know nothing about what a DAW is? Give me break. :dog: Nothing is showing me anything worth upgrading. I rather spend the money on new guitar strings.

They raised the price? :bang: :tantrum: Damn Cubase!!! Oh, and lets not forget you need a dongle too. Dongles are a high-I-hate-factor here on kvr. :lol: No I have another complaint: what was the point with all the useless videos? Groove Agent, Retrolouge, Chord Track, amps they're old news. And try to explain like everybody are new beginners and know nothing about what a DAW is? Give me break. :dog: Nothing is showing me anything worth upgrading. I rather spend the money on new guitar strings.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”