[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Vortifex wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:56 pm Is there anything that Studio One Pro users feel they couldn't live without if they had to use Artist (with the extra VST functionality addon)? I think I'm gonna get Artist with the VST functionality and can't see what I'd really be missing by not using Pro.

I went with Pro because of the Crossgrade offer.

Just going off the list at https://www.presonus.com/products/Studi ... e-versions

Scratch pads and chorder/chord track are handy but not essential. OpenAIR, Groove Delay and Multiband Dynamics are great effects that rival third party VST's, but if you already have a bunch of third party VST's for that, they are kind of pointless. You get a bunch more loops and samples if that's your thing. "Support for third-party sampler format (EXS, Giga, Kontakt)" might be important, but if you already own Kontakt etc. it doesn't matter.

Not sure what "Extended FX Chains with parallel processing" means. As long as you can use buses and freely create inserts and sends/returns it should be fine.

The Project Page (Mastering, DDP, Red Book CD burning, digital release) is incredibly useful. You can of course just drop a mastering chain on the master in Song Mode, or export the mixdown and use whatever tools you want, but the Project Page automates and integrates everything. If you go back into the song and tweak something, it automatically updates the rendered track on the Project Page. Not sure if it's worth the €200 difference, but it's definitely useful.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:56 pm Is there anything that Studio One Pro users feel they couldn't live without if they had to use Artist (with the extra VST functionality addon)? I think I'm gonna get Artist with the VST functionality and can't see what I'd really be missing by not using Pro.
In addition to AdvancedFollower's post.

Multi Instruments -

That will be the node like functionality where you can combine instruments, create serial and parallel setups of instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmVIeocmsAA

Extended FX Chains - Similar node like system as Multi Instruments...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA-ODMD19as

There are other things such as Note FX devices like the Arpeggiator, Chorder, and Repeater.

Channel Editor With Macro Controls

Console Shaper (Mix Engine FX - Analog Console Emulation).

Video Playback (Synchronisation & Extraction Of Audio From Video).

Pipeline

IR Maker - Impulse Response Creation Utility

64 Bit Audio-processing resolution (floating-point).

---

In version 4.0..(besides other new features and improvements)

AAF (Advanced Authoring Format) Import and Export.

Import Song Data (Taking elements of one song and being able to import it into another).

**Studio One Professional comes with a full license for Melodyne Essential.

*Studio One Artist comes with a 30 day Free Trial of the Melodyne Software
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

The whole feeling of getting a crippled feature set was the reason I went for S1 Pro. What if I need or want a feature at some point which is only available in Pro? E.g., the track limits always made me nervous in Cubase Artist... I mean... not that I ever bumped into those, but.. the feeling that I could was uncomfortable. If that makes sense. :)

That said, I don't see an essential feature missing for me in Artist. The lack of arpeggiator and cord track is bearable, and, so far I never made use of the multi instruments either, even though that's something I'll surely check out at some point.

+1 I'm interested too ....

I updated my previous post of what's not included ,..however to answer this and baring in mind it'll be soon 4 years with Studio One for myself. "Is there anything that Studio One Pro users feel they couldn't live without if they had to use Artist (with the extra VST functionality addon)?"

I think it's hard to pin point any one thing, because with Pro, you get the whole cake, and you don't need to worry about what you won't get in the future that you would with the Artist version but there are things I use on some songs and don't use on others, and other things I use on pretty much every track, like Groove Delay.

Multi Instruments when used wisely is something I wouldn't want to be without having come from using Reason since 2001 and that whole combinator building thing.

The Channel Editor with macro controls, comes in handy for basic automation functions and gets used sometimes... Scratchpads are handy to have as it actually allows you to off load CPU usage from CPU demanding tracks you create, by copying tracks from your main arrangement to it and is handy for just experimenting with ideas mid stream in a track.

The video player is something that doesn't get used much but I know that will use in the near future because of all the CGI animation and video I'm creating these days.

And there is Melodyne Essentials... the full version of rather than the trial, not something I use often, but nether the less interesting to have for creative purposes.

It's really a culmination of all things... looking forward to what comes in the future, rather than being concerned about what isn't. You never know when you might need something... and there's probably some things you'll never use, but have the opportunity to use at anytime, learn about and use in the future that some other music creation programs simply don't have.

Then there's the value aspect, and relative prices between them and even that of other similar software.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:24 pm Multi Instruments -

That will be the node like functionality where you can combine instruments, create serial and parallel setups of instruments.

I've tried it but I found there was no way to take an existing collection of instruments in a project and create a multi from them. Things like inserts, the sends and their levels as well as pans and levels of the instrument channels themselves can't be imported into the multi-instrument. I find that folder tracks, bus channels and channel grouping accomplish the same thing quicker, with greater flexibility.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:01 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:24 pm Multi Instruments -

I've tried it but I found there was no way to take an existing collection of instruments in a project and create a multi from them. Things like inserts, the sends and their levels as well as pans and levels of the instrument channels themselves can't be imported into the multi-instrument. I find that folder tracks, bus channels and channel grouping accomplish the same thing quicker, with greater flexibility.
Multi-Instrument saving / export of Instruments & FX is limited to inserts currently, and there is a feature request which details this here https://answers.presonus.com/4445/store ... sses-sends and the needs to have the other aspects included as one would expect in a future update. However, when you save a song, everything is saved anyway, including all Multi Instrument settings/ inserts / sends/ instruments, effects, volumes, pan settings.

Preset saving of multi instruments, isn't really something I think about doing whilst in the midst of creating a track, but I like having the flexibility it brings as a separate container of experimentation without having to think about needing to create yet more folder tracks. The real benefit of Multi Instruments is making something which is more time consuming and complex to set up in another way, more simpler and quicker, and open new doors to do things vie the node setup. You can set key ranges for instruments, sorta like having an external synthesizer, do stuff with spitters and signal processing....ect

There was apparently some tweaks in 4.0 relating to nodal area, but can't remember off the top of my head what they were.

The new song element import to a new song thing of version 4 and that of Multi Instruments and everything such as busses and sends being retained and imported completely, I don't know about as I'm still on 3.56 and didn't test out that aspect. Someone here should be able to confirm that or not, but if the case that it has, then full preset saving of multi-instruments, wouldn't be so much of an issue when an alternative method is there, although saying that, Multi Instrument saving should really be polished off by the devs to include what one expects, as per the feature request.

THE INTRANCER wrote:Multi-Instrument saving / export of Instruments & FX is limited to inserts currently
That reminds me of something. I have used this technique demonstrated here for creating multi-out instrument presets and achieved some decent results with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rd4uIGSJZY
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:56 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote:Multi-Instrument saving / export of Instruments & FX is limited to inserts currently
That reminds me of something. I have used this technique demonstrated here for creating multi-out instrument presets and achieved some decent results with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rd4uIGSJZY
Thanks for posting this, it's a very clever way to get around the Send Effects saving issue with multi instruments. It took a little while to rap my head around this, in what's going on as effects were being added on the inserts, so one would think that this would be where everything is being routed to. So one needs to ignore this aspect and look at the Effect Routing editor (or node editor as I called it) and look at the signal path.

Once adding one or more splitters, the audio signal can be changed. Effects moved in the insert stack of the mixer channel, gets reflected in the node routing also. Storing a preset stores not only the instrument and the settings / patch it has, but also all the routing associated with it and that of what is in the node routing.

This also leaves the normal Send effect channel of the instrument untouched.

Tip - If you create 3 instruments, within the Multi Instrument you've created, you can then create a splitter, delete the instrument you don't need and you are left with 2 instruments which are then directly merged into the all the FX routing that you have previously created which can then be obviously saved.

All this essentially negates the need to create crate a Multi Instrument preset in the normal way which doesn't save the sends.

There's always something new to learn with this program :-D..

I see that Presonus has added little things like note colouring in the piano roll editor, as well as a lock for scrolling, but still disappointing to see that step time editing hasn't been updated so one can set pre-defined rest periods between notes like one can do like in the 1990's using sound tracker programs. It makes step time programming much more practical and fun than a chore as it is currently in version 4.1. There also needs to be a cursor to be able to track the position of the notes created so one knows where the last position you've stopped at when editing. That could simply be a vertical marker line and a square outline border that outlines the note.

I would of suggested colouring to indicate the position of the note but that wouldn't really help with other notes being coloured in 4.0 now.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:38 pm Preset saving of multi instruments, isn't really something I think about doing whilst in the midst of creating a track, but I like having the flexibility it brings as a separate container of experimentation without having to think about needing to create yet more folder tracks. The real benefit of Multi Instruments is making something which is more time consuming and complex to set up in another way, more simpler and quicker, and open new doors to do things vie the node setup. You can set key ranges for instruments, sorta like having an external synthesizer, do stuff with spitters and signal processing....ect
The way I work, I only later realize - hey, this sounds pretty good. I'd like to save this as a multi-instrument.

For example, I might start out with just Synth A. Then after I've added more elements to the mix, I find I need to fatten up the sound, so I add Synth B with an EQ, and Synth C with a saturation effect, all three routed to a bus channel with a compressor, and a send to a reverb on an FX channel.

Now I should be able to just select all channels on the mixer (Synth A, B and C, the Bus and FX), right click and select "Create Multi-Instrument), and this would re-create the whole chain inside a multi-instrument, pans, levels, send levels, inserts and all. But there's no such option. In order to use multi instruments, you need to decide right at the start of the process whether you're going to use them or not.

This is different from e.g. Reason, where at any stage, you can just select any chain of devices and create a Combi to tidy up the rack.

Fortunately, the folder tracks, channel grouping etc. are so good in Studio One that this doesn't bother me too much. But it means that this "Pro-only" feature is useless to me.

Vortifex wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:16 am Much appreciate the replies, chaps. I'm hanging on to see if Presonus will do a sale, eternal cheapskate that I am.
You may want to go the way i went: Buy Studio One 2 Producer cheap here or elsewhere, and upgrade from there to Pro, when there's a 50% sales on the upgrades. I think i paid 55 € for S1 2 Producer, and then 90 € for the upgrade, so, 145 € in total, which is a really good price for me.

I'd wait till this coming Black Friday or this Cyber Monday . And see if Presonus does a SALE .

I was going to reply to another post, but I stumbled on this whilst viewing youtube, I thought I'd seen it before but funny enough, I hadn't.. given the posting date of Nov 16th 2018 (yesterday). It feels like a strategic marketing response to the release of Cubase 10 given it's particular timing. It's from Presonus... so.. the ' Steinberg stealing' of features has made them raise more than an eyebrow I think.. In any case for the rest of us and those looking to make the move very soon, of things they might have forgotten..it does prove a bit of a refresher. The comments, are quite interesting, but more for how uninformed or out dated their criticisms are...

10 Reasons, not to be confused with Reason 10... :-D

* There is a clip in that video which is now out dated in regard to Studio One 4, if you notice.. because the tempo automation line doesn't look or behave like that now in 4.1.1, since it's now gone full point and line vector style. Dragging a waveform doesn't replicate a waveform on the tempo automation area, but instead represents a solid tempo line. That's probably one of the most important things to differ Studio One and Cubase by, because tempo editing is now better than Cubase imop since it's update...with all the drawing tool functionality that the main sequencer area has as an added bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lOhFWCK6sg

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”