Majority of my VSTs/DAW have updates in 2018

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

It is hard for me to define the subject .... Actually, I am counting my VSTs/DAWs which have aggressive updates and which haven't :hihi:

1) Omni 2.5. I'll treat it as a Major update / Release. Eric spent around 40 mins to show case this update. Be honest, I still haven't explored the all the features of version 2!

2) Rob Papen's Exp 5. Go2 is a fun synth and the price point I think is hard to beat. Will make my hand dirty with RAW kick this weekend. Again, I love to see more synths with $49.99 price tag haha

3) Falcon 1.6 (I am glad I bought it during the last discount period)

4) VPS avenger 1.4, right ? Several updates this year and I'd like to see more products that VPS release next year.

5) Rapid 1.5. Struggle to buy it last year as I got Avenger. Their pace of the development is so slow. But this year at least they have some enhancements :)

6) Tone2... At first, I dislike this company for some reason but bought Icarus (Yeah v1.6), Rayblaster, ElecX, Gladiator 3 (Welcome to the big UI!) and I know that their FM monster, Nemesis, will have 1.6 beta releases in the next few weeks.

7) Abelton 10 and Cubase 9.5 has updates as well.

VSTs/tools that I'd like to see an update

1) Initial Audio's Sektor. I don't treat the minor update as an update, sorry.
2) Sundog. Nice little tool but hey any new features coming soon?

Share your thoughts on your investment regarding VSTs/DAW or whatever music making software tools.

Regards!
Cowby

Updates are nice, but... my opinion is that, if it works, there's no need to fix it. Feature updates e.g. always bring the risk of breaking something else, and, with the site of many companies in this business, the products often don't see a lot of testing (at least it always that way), so, it's OK, if the plugins are stable, no need to do much about them.

What chk071 said and you should buy/use stuff as it is now and not what it might become in the future.

I`m with you :

- Reason 10.2 has already arrived, and another update with performance improvements is promised before the new year
- Dune 3 is supposedly coming very soon
- Hive gets a new big update in December (?) as well
I make videos about synths, you can find my channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/synthratings

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:14 pm Updates are nice, but... my opinion is that, if it works, there's no need to fix it. Feature updates e.g. always bring the risk of breaking something else, and, with the site of many companies in this business, the products often don't see a lot of testing (at least it always that way), so, it's OK, if the plugins are stable, no need to do much about them.
yep, been using the same OS(winxp) and same old vst's with only a few
updates for 10+ years.... 10 years of trouble free music making. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Hay Layzer! Just wondering. What sort of mobile phone do you use? :hihi:

SHall1000 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:36 pm Hay Layzer! Just wondering. What sort of mobile phone do you use? :hihi:
flip phone with only address book. no smart phone for me.
ever hear of TMI? (too much info) well theres also TMT
(too much technology) its a KISS - (keep it simple stupid)
life for me. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Two important updates:
Max 8 for its multicore connections
Bitwig 2.4 for MPE

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:14 pm Updates are nice, but... my opinion is that, if it works, there's no need to fix it. Feature updates e.g. always bring the risk of breaking something else, and, with the site of many companies in this business, the products often don't see a lot of testing (at least it always that way), so, it's OK, if the plugins are stable, no need to do much about them.
True, but adding new features into a product you're already familiar and comfortable with can also make the transition easier. You don't have to buy and learn an entirely new product just to use that new feature, since it's integrated into the familiar workflow.

I'm trying to downgrade more than upgrading/updating! Both my hardware and software. At the same time I did bought/re-bought some old plugs/DAW and small midi controllers (replacing nektar P4).

From my new purchases are: Live 9 Standard replacing both Cubase 9.5 and Reason 10 as my main DAW and DCAM synth squad, Strobe 2, NI Razor as my go to synths.

No new things for me! I doubt I will even buy anything this Black Friday! I already have more than I need so what's the point from updating if I don't need/use it! I even don't feel any motive to upgrade to Live 10 (I have the demo installed, but I'm really fine with 9 Standard). Well, I hope this feeling will continue :hihi:

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:06 pm
True, but adding new features into a product you're already familiar and comfortable with can also make the transition easier. You don't have to buy and learn an entirely new product just to use that new feature, since it's integrated into the familiar workflow.
Don't get me wrong, im not generally against updates, and, I love it when new features are added. It's just that, IMO, people sometimes expect a bit too much. It's also never a good advice to buy stuff based on updates promises. You can be greatly disappointed that way. My experience is that it's best, and more healthy to buy software for what it is, not for what it potentially could become. Because that is not in the hand of the customer.

layzer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:08 am
SHall1000 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:36 pm Hay Layzer! Just wondering. What sort of mobile phone do you use? :hihi:
flip phone with only address book. no smart phone for me.
ever hear of TMI? (too much info) well theres also TMT
(too much technology) its a KISS - (keep it simple stupid)
life for me. :idea:
:tu: :tu: :hug:

Return to “Instruments”