Presonus Studio One Pro 4

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:15 pm
Caine123 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:22 pmWhy are bitwig and ableton for electronic music faster? I did music there in fl studio as well and can imagine it will work in studo one etc as well? What advantages do bitwig and ableton have? Serious question
Clip launcher / session view respectively, especially with Push/LPP/JAM. Just create a bunch of ideas - beats, bass lines, chords, melodies, effects and then jam with them changing the order, soloing & muting them, modulating the instruments, tweaking effects, playing stuff live on top of it, etc. You can leave it like it is and every time get a different tune or commit - record - your jams to linear timeline for further editing.
I'd also just expand on the above with MPE support (at least in the case of Bitwig from what I understand), and the modulation options (as already mentioned by antic604) seem much larger as well where you can start assigning LFOs to VST parameters.

I'm definitely not an expert in these other DAWs as I've never spent meaningful time in either Bitwig or Live, but I feel like from what I know from forums, reviews, some videos, they're definitely going to be geared towards electronic music production. So in short: no one should be taking my word for it. That said, Bitwig, Ableton, and Fruity are clearly more pattern/clip-based DAWs versus the more linear approach of Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, Studio One. You could certainly use any DAW for electronic music production, but I tend to favor more specialized tools personally, hence my initial recommendation.

My advice to the OP: download some DAW demos, watch some getting started type turorial videos and work with each for a little bit. Find the one you click with, and master it.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:36 pmYou could certainly use any DAW for electronic music production, but I tend to favor more specialized tools personally, hence my initial recommendation.
Exactly! One can do any style of music in any DAW nowadays, but some will be more suited than others - it's easier and faster to do an orchestral score or track a band in Cubase and it's easier and faster to do tweaky, experimental electronic music in Bitwig, but it's not impossible to do the other way around.

For example this is being done in Studio One, on a laptop: https://mindex.bandcamp.com/album/nostaltrophin
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:33 pm
mholloway wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:29 pm Studio One 3 and 4 are practically unusable on a Mac, fwiw. Performance is terrible, and it crashes constantly. And their tech support is comical garbage. If you're PC based, I hear there are far fewer issues. If you're Mac based, well, you've been warned.
Are you on the FB group for Studio One? Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people there, incl. S1 devs. Frankly I never heard about S1 running substantially worse on OSX.
I read it a lot of times. Couldn't really replicate it on my short tests on Mac OS Sierra, but, those were only very brief tests.

I have Studio One and Ableton Live. I think that they are different enough that each has their own strengths and purpose, and not a lot of overlap. You can make music in either one, but some things would be harder to do in the other. If you just plan to sit down and compose your song, Studio One would be a good choice, but forget about live looping like you can do in Live or Bitwig.

Studio One does have the arranger track where you can try out different arrangements by dragging and dropping entire song sections around, and scratch pads with multiple arrange windows for experimenting with different arrangements of the same song.
https://youtu.be/ZALHeAeOjM4

I like Live for the experimental jamming and tweaking possibilities, and rearranging or capturing ideas. The session window with the scenes and loops is unique among DAWs (with the exception of Bitwig, of course). There is also a lot of good tutorial material available online to learn Live techniques from. Probably much more so than for traditional linear DAWs, which are more focused on traditional recording and mixing techniques.

But for straight up tracking, or mixing and mastering a final project, I would rather use the workflow in Studio One.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Thank you for your answers.

I have for now Fl Studio 20 and I do not really care.

I will never do Live, just home studio.

Launch audio clips, I do not intend to do it.

I only use Vst and just need to have samples on a track, nothing more.

Even though launching audio clips should be very interesting, since just a home-studio use, not a priority for me.

Bitwig I like, better than Ableton, yet quite similar.

But as not a live use, Bitiwg is perhaps less interesting than Studio One Pro 4.

I only use Vst and samples, so I'm looking for a Daw with good ergonomics of work, intuitive and effective.

Studio One 4, seems to fill the void, compared to a current music utilsation, a great thing.

Regarding ATOM, a good start, but a little limited it seems to me, strongly a controller more evolved and more complete.

Trancer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:56 pm I will never do Live, just home studio.
I'd argue that this isn't relevant and you can use clip launcher at home as well. Actually I think that music recorded in that way feels more spontaneous and more hypnotic.

Just check this video to see how easy is that (ignore the music itself, just focus on the process):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaQpybm5Pcw

And once you have your song in arrangement, you can freely change it: add or delete sections, edit automation, etc. Everything you'd normally do in traditional, linear DAW but the foundation of your track was made on the fly and not by dragging & dropping colorful boxes.
Music tech enthusiast

Thank you for this video.

Indeed you are right, looking at the process, indeed it looks a disconcerting simplicity.

I saw that you had Bitwig 2 and Live.

Would you rather advise Bitwig or live and why one more than the other?

This has been a good dawtalk thread so far. Learned something.

Expanding: The reason I've gone for Atom is that it gives me (hopefully) a more Ableton-like clip-launch experience.

With the new Impact XT and the new midi Patterns editing options, and the new Chord Track with its Harmonic Editing I feel that S1 suddenly offers a lot more, virtually overnight. Possibly groundbreaking - don't know. Other DAW users will tell me.

Everything hinges on how well Atom can control it all, and keep it fast, easy & intuitive.

If this thread's still alive, I'll report back as soon as I take delivery, and have a chance to experiment.

If Atom's really good, I'll buy two 8)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Trancer wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:15 am Thank you for this video.

Indeed you are right, looking at the process, indeed it looks a disconcerting simplicity.

I saw that you had Bitwig 2 and Live.

Would you rather advise Bitwig or live and why one more than the other?
I should really put that in my signature ;) :D
viewtopic.php?p=7070551#p7070551

But I'm not saying Bitwig > Live for everyone, because it's very personal and subjective. Try writing a track in both and see which one suits you better. There's no other way :)
Music tech enthusiast

kevvvvv wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:22 pmWith the new Impact XT and the new midi Patterns editing options, and the new Chord Track with its Harmonic Editing I feel that S1 suddenly offers a lot more, virtually overnight. Possibly groundbreaking - don't know. Other DAW users will tell me.
That's very true! It's funny how the just-announced Cubase 10 takes a lot of cues from S1 now, trying to add lots of functionality for beat makers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqAEnUxhyJo
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:01 pm
kevvvvv wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:22 pmWith the new Impact XT and the new midi Patterns editing options, and the new Chord Track with its Harmonic Editing I feel that S1 suddenly offers a lot more, virtually overnight. Possibly groundbreaking - don't know. Other DAW users will tell me.
That's very true! It's funny how the just-announced Cubase 10 takes a lot of cues from S1 now, trying to add lots of functionality for beat makers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqAEnUxhyJo
Wow is this really new for cubase users? If so better late then never but embarassing for such a known company.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

It's brilliant how daws have come on.

Cubase seems to offer a lot more than a few years ago when it went through a big lull.

They certainly lost me to S1. Cubase took years to load, and endless mouse clicks to do anything.

Other Cubase users told me I was stupid and ought to read the manual (prob true), while Charlie Steinberg resided in his pomp with "this is how it's done guys".

Now it seems choice of daw is a matter of workflow pref or musical style.

The thing that put me off ableton was everything was too boxy & separate. It was hard to lay an instrument over the joins between clips, without exiting to the timeline mode. But now the spec seems awesome. Even FL is full on these days. Lucky us.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

There is actually a big thread which answers the OP's question and a lot more besides.... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=505021
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Thanks again to all for your answers.

I will go to look at the topics in question.

What I like a lot in Studio One Pro 4 is its ergonomics and there are added features and tools very interesting for the production of electronic music.

What would be perfect, a hybridization Studio One Pro 4 / Bitwig, merge these two Daw, it would be excellent and add a dedicated controller style Push 2, a dream.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”