Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:34 pm Great pics Rob! Hopefully the puppers doesn't like to sit on keyboards as my fur babies do. :hihi:
Thanks Justin, yeah she's a crazy one this pup. She's 11 months old today and some size, she's better than a house alarm too.. my gear is safe around this vicious beast haha :lol: :lol: :lol: She doesn't mind cats just doesn't like people coming near me haha

Hink wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:24 pmthank you
Likewise.

I will of course honour your request as well Hink. I'll pass on the two rounds of trying "it wasnt me, some big boys did it and ran away..." though. ;)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

vurt wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:23 pm also, you use sequencers to control other gear don't you?
using multiple sequencers/synths layered to make a track?
Yup. And that may be a choice of mine, which seems questionable if it was not for the fact the each squencer can do things the others can’t (almost; two of them are Elektrons but only one of these can control external gear too) and that I need all of them to go semi-probability/random with the music. Without knowing about it, I take it for granted that there are different sequencer modules doing different stuff in the modular ballpark too. Right?

Nice to see some studio photos, finally, after all those pages (weeks worth) of argumentation. Photos are what this thread is supposed to be about, right?

When I see cats in studios, I think: “Cute.” Then immediately think: “My goodness the hair.” :-D
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:24 am When I see cats in studios, I think: “Cute.” Then immediately think: “My goodness the hair.” :-D
:lol: :lol: :cry: :cry: :help:
A swiffer duster and hand vacuum are just as critical as a mic stand in my studio.
IncarnateX wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:27 pm And as far as puzzles concerns, a modular guy on Gearslutz told that he often did not bother recording at all but would rather see his works as sand mandalas to be erased when done. Now that is one fitting philosophy for sure that excludes deep concern for patch memory.
I was going to write something similar, mentioning impermanence and wabi-sabi. It sound really pretentious, even for me, so I deleted it. :hihi:

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:59 pmThere's nothing that resembles genuine curiosity in those kind of questions; its an implication that whatever is being questioned is inherently unsound and needs validated. If a response is given, it too is questioned; the undermining is iterative.
Insecure much? Paranoid much? I realise how hard it is for you to understand but none of it is about you. It's about knowledge, pure and simple.

We don't all look at the world through the prism or self, strange as that may seem, some of us are actually capable of objective thought. So yes, sometimes I won't see the value in the substance of an answer to a question and I will be honest enough to say so. So what? My opinion is as worthless as anyone else's so what's to fear from it? Why is it so important that we should all agree about everything? Who benefits from that?

It's an interaction we have between ourselves at work every day. We all have different ways of doing things and sometimes the way we learned isn't the best way, so when you see someone doing something differently, you ask them about it. They tell you how they've done it and you decide whether or not it is better than the way you do it, and change your own method or not. Often, if you show them your way, because you think it's better, they adopt it. But there are never any bruised egos or defensiveness because we are all adults and we all want to be better at our job. Just today, for example, I've learned how to cycle through tools in Photoshop from a colleague, who I repaid by showing her how to solo a layer. And to be clear, I've been using Photoshop since 1998 but I am not so stupid as to think I know everything about it.

It's the same here - I rejected complex synths with no patch memory in 1986 so I am wondering what might have changed in the last 33 years that makes them easier to live with now, given their new-found popularity. Of course, the likely answer is that it is nothing more than nostalgia and/or a desire to while away the hours doing something they find intellectually stimulating. Hard to argue with those explanations, if anyone can be honest enough to supply them, they are both valid. At the same time, there is also the chance that someone will have some useful insight. At the time it seemed worth the effort but I should have known a-holes like you would be lurking, awaiting an opportunity to derail discussion you clearly struggle to understand. So well done, discussion effectively stifled, your distorted view or reality remains intact. Pathetic, clearly, but there it is.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Hysterically funny; hypocrisy and irony cranked to 11.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

justin3am wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:21 pm Less chat more cats! ...or studio pics. Whichever.
chaosWyrM wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:08 pm just got my neutron a few days ago. i love it. ordered a laptop stand so i could set it above the deluge. im running out of desk space...but im good for now.

Can't see your images. I see the links but when I try to load them, they are blank.
thanks for the heads up...should be fixed now...but not where you quoted me.

here...so no one has to slog back through the last couple of pages of nonsense:

ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:40 am
justin3am wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:21 pm Less chat more cats! ...or studio pics. Whichever.
chaosWyrM wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:08 pm just got my neutron a few days ago. i love it. ordered a laptop stand so i could set it above the deluge. im running out of desk space...but im good for now.

Very very nice gear... Where did you get that white stand mate I need something similar I'm out of space for my modules?

Rob

Can't see your images. I see the links but when I try to load them, they are blank.
thanks for the heads up...should be fixed now...but not where you quoted me.

here...so no one has to slog back through the last couple of pages of nonsense:

rob_lee wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:59 am

Very very nice gear... Where did you get that white stand mate I need something similar I'm out of space for my modules?

Rob
thanks.

that is the elvarli shelving system from ikea with shoe racks on it.

shelves:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29158212/

shoe racks:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/prod ... 11556208_1
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:07 am
rob_lee wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:59 am

Rob
thanks.

that is the elvarli shelving system from ikea with shoe racks on it.

shelves:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29158212/

shoe racks:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/prod ... 11556208_1

Thanks for the links :tu:

BONES wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 am Why is it so important that we should all agree about everything? Who benefits from that?
We shouldn’t. Agreement informs about consensus, disagreement about diversity. One is not fully comphrehensible without the other.
but I am not so stupid as to think I know everything about it.
And as far as one is able to realise that, rest cannot be that bad, really.

I am old school pragmatic too, so I get your motivation, Though, our interrogation style and bias for accepting explanations may differ somewhat :wink: Seen from this perspective, modular stuff needs some explanation because it does not fit with old school aims by default. I remember seeing and ancient vid where someone had a big moog modular on stage to provide him with a “duck” sound only. I likewise remember a concert and a musical where the keyboard players had 70s synths piled up in mountains to have their sounds ready. Only people who could afford trucks and bands of roadies would ever get on the road. Using these things as live synths seemed primitive once the smaller synths and samplers with memory got in our hands. Of course, we knew about experimental music back then already, but fact is that the modulars were used as bread and butter synths as well.

But horses for courses. Modular systems can make sense in many other perspectives if we just understand what the goals are and people care to explain them. Personally, I am not interested in justifications, just explanations. Anything from “I sample snippets from them” over “I make experimental music/noise in one take” to “I make sand mandalas” make sense to me. No problem, as long as I am not inclined to think about modular systems in terms of songwriting tools, bread an butter synth, or handy live instruments fit for the road.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

IncarnateX wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:09 am
vurt wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:23 pm also, you use sequencers to control other gear don't you?
using multiple sequencers/synths layered to make a track?
Yup. And that may be a choice of mine, which seems questionable if it was not for the fact the each squencer can do things the others can’t (almost; two of them are Elektrons but only one of these can control external gear too) and that I need all of them to go semi-probability/random with the music. Without knowing about it, I take it for granted that there are different sequencer modules doing different stuff in the modular ballpark too. Right?
I have a first gen Machinedrum, integrates nicely as I can trigger the modular, or use the modular to trigger it, plus it can sequence midi so that goes through a CV converter for other duties :tu:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Personally, I am not interested in justifications, just explanations. Anything from “I sample snippets from them” over “I make experimental music/noise in one take” to “I make sand mandalas” make sense to me.
Well, last time I asked here, got no explanation. I somehow suspect the only possible answer was "I hoard modulars for no use at all" :hihi:

Some people find it just as offensive as asking "Why do you believe in God if you can't see him". :P
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”