Your next hardware purchase (non guitar)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

donkey tugger wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:02 pm harmonica.png

Can't be that hard. Surely you just blow in it...
Blow and suck, slide side to side (both with your hands and with your mouth. Lots of tongue action which goes the opposite direction to cover the sound holes you don't want to play.

It was prolly the only musical instrument I've played that couldn't get a handle on. But if you're a jedi master it's easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZBevXohCI
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

sin night wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 pm I will fly low for a few months (I need the dentist to do some work in the following months and I want to pay him as soon as possible - I'm uncomfortable with the idea of people waiting to be paid by me), so it would probably be a pair of pedals (should I find something I want/need) to use them with synths, or something like a Roland Boutique (if something new and interesting comes to the market).

I'm planning of expanding my Mother 32 setup in 2019. I'd get a third one for sure, but I'd really like to get also a fourth one. Then I could make four voice chords... the critical part is adding a voice distributor to the system (I'm thinking of building one before buying any new Mother 32), so I could play poly with a keyboard and not just make "one finger chord patches" or sequence everything (I would also do that, but four voices are enough to start thinking about poly).

And I will also have to buy a new computer (it's about time, I'm afraid)...
How does this work?
Is the first one working as a master or do you have to tweak each of them to get the same sound on all?

Sounds like a cool way to get a own version of Polymoog :tu:

tapper mike wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:02 pm harmonica.png

Can't be that hard. Surely you just blow in it...
Blow and suck, slide side to side (both with your hands and with your mouth. Lots of tongue action which goes the opposite direction to cover the sound holes you don't want to play.

It was prolly the only musical instrument I've played that couldn't get a handle on. But if you're a jedi master it's easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZBevXohCI
Good job I've only spent £8!

Have a Samson patchbay on the way. Maybe not the sexiest bit of gear but I'm pretty excited about it. I've gathered up random bits of hardware over the last couple of years but still only have a 6i6 so I/O is limited. I looked into mixers in the past but nothing clicked with me and I don't necessarily need to have everything running through it at once. The patchbay will let me hook everything up and interconnect them at will without having to move gear and cables around all the time.
Image Image Image Image

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:23 pm
sin night wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 pm[...]expanding my Mother 32 setup[...]
How does this work?
Is the first one working as a master or do you have to tweak each of them to get the same sound on all?

Sounds like a cool way to get a own version of Polymoog :tu:
I will need to tweak each of them to get the same sound.

The project is still in an early stage, actually it's just a desire/idea, I didn't start designing the voice distributor yet (I still have to write down all my requirements...).

Beside the fact that I have a few things in my backlog (and I should finish those before starting anything new), lately I'm going really slow with anything but work, so projects like this are lagging behind. :(
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Thinking of getting a ribbon mic. I'd like a Royer. Their cheapest model is €525. Or, an AKG 451B (I know it's not a ribbon) so that I have a pair of them. That is €225.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bricasti M7

couple of these to keep dust n shit out while i have spaces in the rack.

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-an ... Cover/2QAP

go over cables too (not between racks of course) so will get future use 8)

Arrived 20 minutes ago; IK Uno cheap at Amazon...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:36 pm Arrived 20 minutes ago; IK Uno cheap at Amazon...
Can you let me know what it's like when you've had a bit time with it? I'm on the Anderton's website now eyeing it up looks like a nifty little synth. Cool features too

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:36 pm Arrived 20 minutes ago; IK Uno cheap at Amazon...
cool.

you can get rid of all that time wasting modular rubbish now :tu:

rob_lee wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:40 pm
Can you let me know what it's like when you've had a bit time with it? I'm on the Anderton's website now eyeing it up looks like a nifty little synth. Cool features too
Sure. Its a wee bit smaller and lighter than I was expecting, which is nice for something that's intended to be portable. I'd prefer better knobs, (and maybe lower profile) the ones on it seem a bit cheap, but the pots feel ok, and the body feels solid enough for plastic. Kinda like a mini Evolver in its matrix-and-knob layout, which Im fine with, and the 'membrane' looking switches work well enough.
Firmware update was easy, registration slightly less so on account of there being a serial number on the bottom which isnt the one you register, and the registrable serial number on a bit of card with that stuck inside the little folder of 'documents'. Documentation implied I'd have to register to get the software editor, but I was able to get it without that.

Sounds not bad so far; obviously not the most complex synth architecture ever, but two oscillators, three filter modes and a delay aint bad. Pretty easy to program sounds from the front panel, like I say mini Evolver; select the row and the controls work on that row.

There's some buttons I dont quite grok yet; Dive, Scoop, Vibr, Wah, Trem. Admittedly it was an impulse buy, and I aint looked at the 1-page manual yet. :lol: (*)

Having an ARP and sequencer is nice, gotta work out the latter as well.

Sounds good so far, the extra filter modes help flesh out its range, as does the fact that the waveform seems to be continuous rather than switched, and, I think, possible LFO control over PWM or shape. Not an obvious 'character' osc or filter, but decent. Would prefer if the Drive on the filter was more extreme. No feedback control on the delay which is a shame, but it does have a delay...

There's a tiny little low-level bleed (on the amp?) that has some sort of cutout after a few seconds of not-quite-silence. Might bother some folk a wee bit, but its pretty low-level. Apart from that its pretty clean, even on USB.

The included batteries dont appear to have lasted that long, Im getting 'BAT' warnings on USB, but it can switch between battery and USB power on the fly.

So far just played with the membrane keyboard, the hold key makes it good for more drone-y use, which is great for me.

* 'performance controls' it seems. Preset modulation of parameters for each of the keys, it sounds like.

More thoughts later.

vurt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:49 pm
cool.

you can get rid of all that time wasting modular rubbish now :tu:
Yup, Ive set fire to the Bug and Timbrous Wee Beastie (aka the Eurorack), and Im working on filling the Uno with 100 almost-identical tarnce presets right now. ;)

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:38 pm
rob_lee wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:40 pm
Sure. Its a wee bit smaller and lighter than I was expecting, which is nice for something that's intended to be portable. I'd prefer better knobs, (and maybe lower profile) the ones on it seem a bit cheap, but the pots feel ok, and the body feels solid enough for plastic. Kinda like a mini Evolver in its matrix-and-knob layout, which Im fine with, and the 'membrane' looking switches work well enough.
Firmware update was easy, registration slightly less so on account of there being a serial number on the bottom which isnt the one you register, and the registrable serial number on a bit of card with that stuck inside the little folder of 'documents'. Documentation implied I'd have to register to get the software editor, but I was able to get it without that.

Sounds not bad so far; obviously not the most complex synth architecture ever, but two oscillators, three filter modes and a delay aint bad. Pretty easy to program sounds from the front panel, like I say mini Evolver; select the row and the controls work on that row.

There's some buttons I dont quite grok yet; Dive, Scoop, Vibr, Wah, Trem. Admittedly it was an impulse buy, and I aint looked at the 1-page manual yet. :lol: (*)

Having an ARP and sequencer is nice, gotta work out the latter as well.

Sounds good so far, the extra filter modes help flesh out its range, as does the fact that the waveform seems to be continuous rather than switched, and, I think, possible LFO control over PWM or shape. Not an obvious 'character' osc or filter, but decent. Would prefer if the Drive on the filter was more extreme. No feedback control on the delay which is a shame, but it does have a delay...

There's a tiny little low-level bleed (on the amp?) that has some sort of cutout after a few seconds of not-quite-silence. Might bother some folk a wee bit, but its pretty low-level. Apart from that its pretty clean, even on USB.

The included batteries dont appear to have lasted that long, Im getting 'BAT' warnings on USB, but it can switch between battery and USB power on the fly.

So far just played with the membrane keyboard, the hold key makes it good for more drone-y use, which is great for me.

* 'performance controls' it seems. Preset modulation of parameters for each of the keys, it sounds like.

More thoughts later.
Fab and have fun that's quite a good bit info already.

Rob

Any of the following depending on which shows up nearby first:

Nord Rack 2x (possibly Nord Lead 2x)
Old cassette deck / tape recorder / Tascam Portapro thingy
Some old, cheap digital synth from Ensoniq, Kawai or possibly Yamaha (SQ1, SD-1, Kawai K4/K4r, TG33 and possibly TG55 are interesting)
New studio chair as the one I'm sitting is right now is literally falling apart. I'm about to have an accident here, I think.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”