Corona synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Corona

I picked up Corona. Really neat synth! The way the oscilators work is quite unique and lends itself to quick and effective creativity - meaning, I can arrive interesting and musically useful osc textures quickly. In general it sounds very nice. I appreciate the utilitarian UX and its quirks. I also picked up Discovery Pro which is also really nice. I've been using a lot of more modern synths lately and its nice to go back to some earlier ones that also sound really nice. :phones:

I'm about to pick this thing up... I'm impressed with the demo
even considering making it my new workhorse... I think this synth hit the sweet spot between power and simplicity
everything seems to be where it should be, I just don't understand why make a tuning editor and not allow scala support instead but that's a minor thing.

anyone else eyeing this one during their yearly autumnal bout of irrationality?

acYm wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:09 am I'm about to pick this thing up... I'm impressed with the demo ... anyone else eyeing this one during their yearly autumnal bout of irrationality?
I am looking at picking this one up, too (not that I need any more virtual instruments, mind you).

So, what is the best price you have seen it selling for so far?

Audiodeluxe.com currently sells it for $34.99 (in-cart price).
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

oh that's nice, didn't even know it was available outside of the discodsp store.
I'm also trying quite hard not to clutter my synth list any more, but at this price I'm short on arguments.
it reminds me of a better Rapture from my old Sonar days.

I purchased Bliss for $37 from blowout.jrrshop.com, and while registering that purchased license code for Bliss at the DiscoDSP website, I was offered Corona as an add-on purchase for $31.60 (unfortunately, 7% tax got tacked on to that price). So I ended up getting Corona for $33.81 at DiscoDSP.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Nice to see a new wave of peeps discovering Corona, this seems to happen every few years and then gets forgotten again.

Has a unique sound and features.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Looks very nice and great BF price at the moment!

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:37 am Nice to see a new wave of peeps discovering Corona, this seems to happen every few years and then gets forgotten again.

Has a unique sound and features.
after spending a few quality hours with it, I agree about the unique sound, a digital instrument done right. this is how you take advantage of a computer's strength.

I already know why it's an underdog, and not mentioned with the 4 or 5 supersaw beasts in the other thread, though. a few things make it seem like a less than a-grade vst. threre's no volume or clipping meter, and possibly because of this, most of the presets are squarely in the red, which is no good. I'm talking +10 and stuff, I mean really? once you adjust it so it won't destroy every processor you put on it, it's pretty great though, loaded with neat banks. but beyond that, just why is there no meter at all.

there's no midi learn, and several automation parameters are missing, including entire sections (!) like unison, which makes for an average template and limits possibilities. speaking of the automation, the parameters are WAY too coarse, pretty much all of them. on a synth like that I want to set my knob to 10 rotations and see it scroll hertz by hertz throughout the range, not see a hard jump between 162 and 170, eww.

could be me but 8 mod slots isn't so generous, I look at it and am reminded of duneCM which has 12, with half cut out from the full version. with 4x modulators each it feels cramped.

those are the cons and caveats of this synth. some would say none of these details matter - but none of the other big synths, more popular, have any of these problems, that much is for sure. I feel like they would be quite easy to fix in one last update, and it would give the instrument that last bit of polish it deserves.

@acYm Thank you so much for taking the time sharing thoughts about our products, it helps to make them better :tu: And you're right, Corona has a few caveats that don't make it as perfect as it should.

The last update seems to have been 3.5 years ago, that gives potential customers the impression it is abandonware.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:58 pm The last update seems to have been 3.5 years ago, that gives potential customers the impression it is abandonware.
It's still supported and distributed so no, it isn't abandonware at all and there are a lot of happy Corona customers.

Trying to demo but the download is too slow. 1 hour 20 mins for demo download seems very, very slow.

simmo75 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 pm Trying to demo but the download is too slow. 1 hour 20 mins for demo download seems very, very slow.
The main site is probably getting a lot of traffic. Try these mirrors:

Updated to CDN link (automatic best server based on location).
Mac: https://www.discodsp.com/download/?id=20
Last edited by discoDSP on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

discoDSP wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:14 pm
simmo75 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:05 pm Trying to demo but the download is too slow. 1 hour 20 mins for demo download seems very, very slow.
The main site is probably getting a lot of traffic. Try these mirrors:

https://www.discodsp.net/demo/Corona51Demo.zip
https://www.discodsp.net/demo/Corona51DemoMac.zip
Thanks George, I need a mac download and this mac link is also 1, 25mins.. The top link (windows?) is only 4 mins but not what i need...

I checked here and download takes about 1 minute. Maybe it has to do with your location. The server is located in Italy. Let me know and I will bring you the file somewhere closer :)

Return to “Instruments”